What's new

Deadwood 2nd Season (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they fought because Swearengen 'insulted' Alma (at least in Bullock's mind) by prying into their business. Plus the fact that both of them are fairly hot headed people added to the situation.

Great moment when Al said he lost his nerve in the fight because of the kid and Johnny and Dan looked away real fast.

I was happy to see Calamity Jane's cameo on her horse. "Cocksuckers!" :)

And Rome does look pretty good.

EDIT: Good observations, Romier.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Bullock and Swearengen hated each other almost from first sight. (Think back to the negotiations over the lease for the hardware store.) That didn't change during season 1, but Al wanted Bullock for sheriff because he knew Bullock would fit in perfectly with the appearance of an orderly operation that would help persuade the authorities to let Deadwood continue governing itself.

Al's comments as he watched Bullock walk through town made it pretty clear that he's found it more and more difficult to put up with Bullock as sheriff during the time he's been waiting for news from the governor. Then he gets the news, and it's bad. So all the bile he's held back for months comes spewing out at Bullock, and the two of them finally have the confrontation toward which they seemed to be heading for much of the first season.

Now if you want to talk about twisted motivations, how about Tolliver?

EDIT: Travis and Romier posted while I was posting, and I agree with both of you.

M.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Romier....good points. It still felt like they created the rift just to get the story moving for this season though....that's a heck of a fight coming right from the finale of season 1...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Cy is just one confused dude. It's obvious he is completely in love with Joanie but it's that psycho kind of love where the guy just simply does not want anything good for her unless he has something to do it. He needs to slither his way into her life not matter what she does. It's too bad he'd be willing to kill anyone including her to get his way. Talk about emotional issues.;)

Matthew_S

Second Unit

Well, don't forget the episode where he killed those kids last year. That's when he turned "totally bad" for me. :)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Was I the only one who wanted Al to whip Bullock's ass in that fight? I like Bullock, but I wanted Al to lay it down.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

You have to remember that this isn't the night after the last episode of the first season. Some time has gone by. Joanie revealing that she finally found her building in November is a pretty good sign that this episode takes place some months after the events of the final episode of Season 1.

Matthew_S

Second Unit

I think you misunderstood...i meant as the viewer it's a big turnaround, at least for me it was...I see what you're saying about time passing in "show time"...Perhaps it's that the language is so different than anything else on tv and i miss a bunch of stuff while i'm trying to figure out what those cocksuckers are saying...:)

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I read somewhere that Season 2 starts 6 months after Season 1 ended (Show time)

I also got the feeling from what Al said ,that Seth has been pretty much walking around in Alma dream land (for the last 6 months) and not concentrating at all on the problems of the camp.

Al,"You want a Donkey's attention?You bring a F**kin' pole down between his ears"

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Travis, Romier (and Michael) - points well taken, and good explanations, but I still think Al is too much of business man to have let that encounter happen. Then again, it could have just been the booze talking...

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
He didn't let it happen,He MADE it happen.
After the letter from the Governor & seeing the Telegraph coming,He knew it was time to Wake Bullock up.
If he wanted to avoid it,He would have kept Dan & Silas Handy.He knew Bullock would come to settle up for the Insult & he planned on laying a beatin on him,but things got out of hand after they went off the balcony & Seth got the upper hand (by landing on top)

At least that's the way I see it

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It looked to me like Al planned on killing Bullock and then claiming self-defense in a fight over personal issues. I doubt he simply "forgot" that knife in his boot when Bullock asked him about it.

M.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really think he wanted him dead at first at least ,although I think maybe he did during the heat of battle.I think he just wanted a way to get his attention on other things besides his love/lust for Alma.I really don't think he hates Bullock at all but really repects him or at least he used to.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Al was clearly having problems with his bladder, and in a lot of pain - so he probably vented to Bullock more than he otherwise would have. Whether the cause was booze or something more serious, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Great f***ing start to this great f***ing show. :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I also thought he had bladder problems and am curious to see where they take it. The Gimp brining Bullock's gun and star downstairs was a riot.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
So, is...

...this "Maddie" the same girl who marries Wyatt Earp? I know he comes to Deadwood sometime soon and if I remember correctly, he meets her in some town before marrying her.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Entertainment weekly in reviewing the show said that Al
has his kidney stones cured in a rather unique way, that will be lingered on in an upcoming episode.
Best
Greg

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
In a fair fight, with no weapons or cheap shots (or falling off balconies), I say Bullock kicks Al's ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks