What's new

Dead pixel on my Sony Wega! (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I recently noticed that my almost 3 year old Sony Wega (model KV27FV16) has a pixel blown out near the bottom of the screen. It's not too bothersome, but isn’t this a bad sign? Does it mean that the tube could be going bad? I bought the TV at Circuit City and I also bought a three year service plan with it. So I should be able to either get it fixed for free or replaced. Does anyone know if you can even fix a dead pixel? I would much rather get a replacement. I am guessing I would get the newer model of mine (KV27FV310). It has a few nice new features (like another component input) so I would not mind that at all. Does anyone have this newer Wega? Are you happy with it? Thanks for any input on this! BTW I tired to put a link to the newer model Wega, but since I am new here I cannot.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
No thats the thing this is a regular tube or CRT TV. It has a flat screen but is not a flat panel.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
CRT TVs don't even have pixels. I wonder what that is. Maybe it's a problem with the surface of the screen, not the actual tube.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I have no idea, I have heard that it may be due to the phosphor that is on inside of the screen and that it may be missing or not lighting up in that spot anymore. But it worries me because it was an expensive TV and I would hate to have other "dead pixels" pop up, or worse yet have the whole set fail. Thats why I want to get it either fixed or better yet replaced ASAP.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How large is the dark spot? Chances are, if it is only one scan line's thickness it is not a warranty fixable item.

But a dark spot as big around as a pencil eraser inside the glass and which is visible when the set is turned off would probably be covered by the warranty, provided it was not caused by high contrast bright picture material stationary on that place on the screen.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
It’s not very large at all, no where near as big as a pencil eraser and it cannot be seen when the set it turned off (what does that mean?). If you step several feet back from the T.V. it blends right in and you cannot find it, even if you are looking for it. I would say it is about a scan lines thickness. They better do something about it however, because I did not pay $100 for a service plan for nothing. I am pretty surprised that this happened, I did not think it was a common thing on Tube TV’s (LCD's are a different story)? Do Sony TV’s suck as far as reliability goes?

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
CRT? I don't know what that's about, as they don't have pixels, per say. Well, I'd certainly make use of the warranty if you can.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Well a tech is coming to my house on Monday to look at it. I think I will also point out a few others flaws with the set while I am at it. The geometry is off a little and there is a very faint “black cloud” in the bottom right corner of the screen that is only noticeable on a white or other lighter color screen (maybe it needs to be manually degaussed? Since I dont think the "pixel" can be fixed hopefully I may get a new set out of it.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Well it looks like I am screwed, I read the terms and conditions to the service plan on the Circuit City website and found this under “what the plan does not cover” “BURNED PHOSPHOR (INCLUDING IMAGE GHOSTING), PIXEL BURNOUT NOT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS” I have done some research and the reason a pixel appears to be blown out it because phosphor is either missing in that spot on the inside of the screen, or not lighting up any more for some reason. But I also found out that it is not necessarily a bad thing, and does not mean that the tube or set is going bad. Still I don’t see how this could have happened on a set that is only three years old? I had faith in Sony products, but after this I don’t know if I will ever buy another Sony TV again. I guess since I have the tech coming I mine as well tell him to de-gauss the TV and see if that fixes that faint black “cloud” in the corner.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Well I guess I am not screwed. I just got off the phone with the tech and he said that he is going to replace the whole tube and screen. He is coming by Monday to get the model numbers, then ordering them and then will replace them. So looks like I will be getting an almost new TV!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Almost all TV CRT's are tinted these days. I would not be surprised if some have slightly nonuniform tinting that would cause some parts of the screen to be clouded if you have a uniform solid color or white displayed.

There was at least one instance a year ago when someone on this forum reported polishing some scratches out of the screen and that spot appeard noticeably brighter, suggesting that the tint was a surface coating that got buffed off.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Well the tech came out today to look at it. He seemed very knowledgeable, and said that if the cost to replace the tube was over a certian amount (that he did not know). Than they will just refund me the price I paid for the TV ($800). But if not than he will put a new tube in. But he thinks that they will be re-funding it. They will be calling me during the week to let me know. So I am pretty excited as I could have $800 to spend on a new TV. I will probaly just buy the new model 27" WEGA (KV-27FV310), which goes for around $550 at CC, so I would still have $250 left over to do whatever with. I think I will start a new thread about which TV to buy for under $800 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks