What's new

Dead of Night - Anchor Bay (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
DEAD of NIGHT. A famous British spooky movie from just after WW II . It used to be played on TV Ontario in the 1970's around Halloween. I hope this is the one Anchor Bay is releasing in a few months?

As an aside, I look at the Anchor Bay page occasionally because of their reissues of old movies. But its not very informative, just lists titles of some movies, has a dead Search function, etc.

The BLISS title that was listed for the past 8 months and was just released turns out not to be the movie I was looking for, so I'm hoping that the DEAD of NIGHT disk features the British movie I want. Retail sites indicate it will be released on 20 May this year, together with QUEEN OF SPADES. (On one disk? No details listed)

Hopefully MAN FACING SOUTHEAST will also come to fruition. Can't believe there is another movie with that title!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Yes John, that's the one. Dead of Night is one of my favorite films of all time and one of the greatest Horror films ever made. Queen of Spades is also very good, you won't go wrong ordering the double feature.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Haven't seen QUEEN OF SPADES, but DEAD OF NIGHT is, while uneven, overall the best ghost story of the forties (yes, better than THE UNINVITED, in my opinion) and one of the few non-comedy titles of the period from Ealing Studios. I can't wait for this on DVD. The VHS tapes were always pretty muddy and burry. Anchor Bay will, no doubt, remedy this.

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
The BLISS title that was listed for the past 8 months and was just released turns out not to be the movie I was looking for,
The new Bliss release you're referring to was released by Columbia/TriStar. Anchor Bay still has not released their Bliss (boy, that sounds weird--"Release your bliss, dude!"), which I believe is supposed to be the 1985 film based on the Peter Carey novel. It's still listed on their In the Future page and has not been announced on their coming attractions page.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks Tim, I hope you're right about that.

I have the Australian Bliss on a video tape, thats extra blurry and probably ready to snap if I ran it again.:frowning:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I've been waiting aeons for Dead of Night - can't wait for a lot of new fans to discover this absolute gem!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Damn, I thought this was the Dan Curtis horror Telefilm from 1977.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
So is the double feature with Queen of Spades a good purchase, or is it worth holding out for a newer release?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Buy it for DEAD OF NIGHT alone. QUEEN FO SPADES is simply icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks