1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Like Me – Dilemma

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rhoq, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Rhoq

Rhoq Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how well the first season of Showtime’s Dead Like Me sold?

I had caught a few episodes when it first debuted on Showtime but couldn’t keep up with it due to my schedule. I was delighted when MGM released the “Complete First Season” back in June.

Not too long afterwards Season 2 started. I figured “why bother watching it, since I can just pick it up on DVD next year?”

Anyways, Here is my dilemma – I was just reading CNN.com and saw a little article in their Entertainment section about Showtime canceling this series. With Season 1 already available on DVD, what are the chances - with Sony’s acquisition of MGM and Showtime’s cancellation of the series, of seeing Season 2 make it’s way to DVD?

2. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

Showtime cancelled Dead Like Me??? Are they fucking insane? It's the only show other than The Sopranos that I could watch on TV. Now with the NHL locklout there's no need for me to have a TV. FUCK! Hopefully the second season set will be out on DVD soon then. There's a petition already started to keep DLM on the air: http://www.petitiononline.com/dlm1218/petition.html (1920, including myself, have signed thus far).

3. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Member

Both seasons are quite independent. There's no big continuity and the seasons end so that the character arcs (for that season) are somewhat closed.

4. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Well-Known Member

2065 and counting.[​IMG]

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Well-Known Member

I posted in the other thread, but this is terrible that Showtime is dropping Dead Like Me. I think it was their best show. I hope things change eventually.

6. John Carr

John Carr Well-Known Member

Awful news -- this is my favorite new show! I'm sick... Showtime is history in my book.

Signature #2282 and counting. I hope some other network is smart enough to pick DLM up... Although, I'm not counting on it.

My wife and I both love this show and were amazed it had 'survived' this long... Sigh.

7. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Well-Known Member

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

3044. Doubt it will do much good, these online petitions never seem to.
    I'd love to see DLM continue, but with those numbers, I doubt even Sci-Fi would pick it up.
    Too bad [​IMG] it's a great show.

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Well-Known Member

I know there were extras shot for the season 2 set, but nothing has been announced yet.

Gord

10. Rhoq

Rhoq Well-Known Member

Gord, thanks for the update. I really hope they release it soon.

Any idea how well season 1 sold?

11. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but that was the WORST DVD set for a good show I've ever seen.

I wonder how much MGM paid to license the theme from American Beauty to use on the "Music of Deal Like Me" featurette. And WHY did it have the theme from a MOVIE during the opening of the featurette? Oh, and WHY did they only talk about the music for 20 second out of 5 minutes?? Sorry, I could go on, but I won't.

Gord

12. Natalie F

Natalie F Well-Known Member

Heh, I know what you mean. What the hell was that about? I was mightily confused when watching that.

The extra's for S1 were lame-o, so here's hoping they can give us some better ones for this release.

13. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

Fifteen thousand signatures for the petition as of right now. Pretty impressive number. Any new news on the cancellation issue? And any DVD news for Season 2?

14. ChuckOso

ChuckOso Member

There is some hope that WB might pick up the show.
    THe producers of DLM are solidly behind making more, but need an outlet to air it.
    ht tp://w w w.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=1001047

(take the spaces out of the above to follow the link, I guess I'm too new to the forum to post links yet.)

15. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

Thanks for that article, Chuck. It's very short, so I'll just quote it here, for posterity and the lazy people [​IMG] :

Not great news, as far as network censorship, but at least the show may be back after all...

16. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

I didn't notice any profanity. But the pretty lady sure talked about blowing her nose alot.

Seriously I am so hopeful that DLM will live on. Very psyched. Crossing my fingers.

17. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Well-Known Member

I think the show would do well on the wb just stick in on after Smallville . The show worked !!! Ellen Muth is miss her so !!

18. EricW

EricW Well-Known Member

to the original poster: i don't think this is much of a spoiler, but season 1 was better than season 2 (imo).

19. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Well-Known Member

I can see them producing 50 minutes uncensored versions, then cutting out enough to fit a 42 minute time-slot for the WB... then releasing the DVDs uncut.