What's new

Dead DVD Titles! (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Antonio,

Warner will only replace the old Devil's Advocate with the new, altered version. Stephen will have to go to eBay to locate another original (and risk that one being defective as well).

-Lyle J.P.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My Criterion ,"Night To Remember" stopped playing. Only DVD I have had a problem with so far.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
My NIGHT TO REMEMBER no longer plays on any of my machines. i've try to contract CRITERION using their "problem" e-mail to see if something can be done. It has been two weeks now and i was wondering if anyone knows how long it should be, before i get a response.

thanks.

Rohan_B

Auditioning
This is really weird, because I only just discovered the other day that my Criterion 'A Night To Remember' has died as well. Won't boot up at all in my Pioneer or Panasonic standalone players, and a DVD-Rom drive in my PC can't read it either.

:frowning:

Gary Nash

Agent
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Apollo 13 (DD orig)
Ocean's 11 (Clooney)
Kentucky Fried Movie
From the Earth to the Moon (orig set)
Scary Movie
Bad Boys S.E.
Good, Bad & Ugly
Enemy of the State

All played perfectly when new, but months/years later showed varying degrees of dead-ness!

Suggestion to thread owner:
How about collating the titles in alpha order in the first post, so we have a handy lookup list similar to the way the 'EX encoded DVD' thread is running?

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
I can also confirm my Psycho dvd is dead.
Having read this thread I couldn't believe a dvd could just die since I take such good care of them. But sure enough after testing in 4 players, not one could recognize or read the disc. But my Vertigo and Apollo 13 discs seem to still be working. I'm definitely going to go through many of my older titles (Especially the Universal ones) and post if I find any other 'dead' dvds. I wonder if this will become a very serious issue with collectors who have purchased 1000s of dvds. Pretty big investments can just stop working! Not a fun thought.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Only title I've had that does anything like this is Pat Benatar's Choice Cuts music video DVD. It just won't be read on my main DVD player any more a few years old Onkyo 5-disc carousel. It plays fine on my pc and the cheap DVD player I have in the bedroom, but the Onkyo just refuses to read it at all any more.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Re: A Night to Remember

Check out my posts on page 2 of this thread

My problem had a happy ending. However, it could be that Criterion is going to remaster A Night to Remember anamorphically, and cannot replace it now?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

jut popped my psycho and vertigo, both first releases into dvd rom and both still work for me.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought i would bring this old thread back to life. My Judge Dredd DVD died today. Yea, its not that good a movie, and its not anamorphic, but still it rotted. Just wanted to let you all know.
The outer edge had a white haze on one end, and it entire outer rim was turning purple.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Very odd!

My copy of Contact died last year. The disc looks perfect, with no scratches, but it won't play.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My Boogie Nights disc, the 3rd DVD I ever bought, quit working recently. The disc hasn't changed color or anything, but nothing I load it in will read it. I think it was manufactured by Panasonic. This is the single-disc version too which is out of print, so I can't buy a brand-new copy of it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Today i noticed my Hammer Abominable Snowman has some strange "water mark" type stains on it. But for now it still plays. Damn, this is what i get for looking at ALL my DVDs!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My Criterion SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS recently died. My player says "Can't read disc" Luckily I have a playable copy on the Universal Sturges set, but the Criterion had some unique extras.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Not sure about Best Buy, but, Circuit City offers it on thier dvds. At least as of a month ago. If you buy used titles from Hollywood Video on your account and ever have a problem they will refund or replace a dvd for you.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Dead dvds are a pain, but, I have over 2500 titles on dvd. When you collect like me you expect a certain level of manufacturer error. I think a big problem with earlier dvds is when the intial run took off they started to outsource the production. Some companies may have even done that from day one. It's not so much to say that workers in other countries don't produce quality product. However, some countries may have lower QC standards while others have higher. What I find really interesting is, if you've ever read your dvd player manuals there is a print in there that says "all dvds may not work with all players." I'm speaking beyond just different types of discs. Specifically,sd dvds for that printed statement. Makes you wonder if they knew of problems before hand. I also wonder if current dvd players are less forgiving than older models around that time. Now, I'm sure some with this problem will say that they have the same dvd player since way back in 97/98 and the problem is still there. Over the years companies make improvements on products, some good, some bad. I wonder if they have snuck something in over the years that may explain the problem on some players not reading certain dvds?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks