What's new

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Mike*Sch said:
You shouldn't have to worry about, because the prints are flagged properly to automatically switch the processors to EX.
Well thats good to know. Although it didn't seem like it was using the rear that much.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like ULTIMATE AVENGERS, ULTIMATE AVENGERS II, and WAITING... are the first three movies to be released on Blu-ray in 7.1! The Avengers movies are out now, and WAITING... will be out in July.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Mike*Sch said:
It looks like ULTIMATE AVENGERS, ULTIMATE AVENGERS II, and WAITING... are the first three movies to be released on Blu-ray in 7.1! The Avengers movies are out now, and WAITING... will be out in July.
"Crank" and "The Descent" are out now in 7.1 PCM (6.1 soundtrack with the rears duplicated).
There is a Japanese title that is true 7.1 PCM...Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this somewhere else. I'm not convinced, but I'll be handling a print of it myself in a couple days, so I'll let you know. It is in 8-channel SDDS, though.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sten F said:
Pan`s Labyrinth 2-Disc DTS-ES (Release date ay 15th)
it is
dts-es 6.1 discrete
and
dd 5.1 ex
about to watch it tonight later on.
:cool:

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to add some support to my argument that theatrical EX movies are also EX on DVD.
This week, I was fortunate enough to meet an engineer at Dolby who was heavily involved with the development of Dolby Digital back in the day, and has since worked on many movies as the "Dolby Stereo Consultant." I specifically asked him if it can be assumed that a theatrical EX title will be EX on DVD, despite what the box art may say. He said yes. According to him, what usually happens is that the home video mix is done shortly after the theatrical mix, usually in the same room by the same people, just with the speakers brought in closer to replicate a home theater environment. Usually, nothing more than minor tweaking is done, and while there's no guarantee that the mix will still be EX, that's the rule, not the exception.
So there's even more reason why I think that the burden should be placed on proving that theatrical EX movies are not EX as opposed to the other way around.
Also, if you had an extra ProLogic decoder and a bit of time, you could totally decode that extra height channel in WE WERE SOLDIERS.

Mr Frank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
DVD MOVIES WITH GOOD SOUNDTRACKS
(List of Region 4 DVDs with EX and ES soundtracks relocated here. - Moderator)
At this stage, I know of 58 Australian release DVD movies with
"EX" or "ES" soundtracks.
This number will increase, as most DVD movies in the USA are released with these formats.
User experience with "EX flag" function and compatibility, may vary according to decoder type and settings.
DVD Master List compiled by Mr Frank ..........20/05/07
Extract from official "Dolby" Web site:
Feature films originally released in Dolby Digital Surround EX (the cinema version) carry the encoded extra surround channel in their subsequent DVD releases, as well as onto 5.1-channel digital satellite and TV broadcasts. If your home theater system has a receiver or preamp/processor with Dolby Digital EX decoding and speakers to support 6.1 or 7.1 playback, you can hear Surround EX soundtracks as they were meant to be heard, with the increased realism created by the extra surround channel. As in the cinema, with regular 5.1-channel Dolby Digital playback no sonic information is lost (although you'll miss out on the heightened realism).
Current Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks contain a digital flag that can automatically activate the EX decoding in a receiver or preamp/processor. For titles released prior to late 2001, however, you need to turn on the EX decoding manually.
P.S.
Personal experience with "EX flag" function does not correlate with this statement.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Mr Frank said:
Extract from official "Dolby" Web site:
Feature films originally released in Dolby Digital Surround EX (the cinema version) carry the encoded extra surround channel in their subsequent DVD releases, as well as onto 5.1-channel digital satellite and TV broadcasts. If your home theater system has a receiver or preamp/processor with Dolby Digital EX decoding and speakers to support 6.1 or 7.1 playback, you can hear Surround EX soundtracks as they were meant to be heard, with the increased realism created by the extra surround channel. As in the cinema, with regular 5.1-channel Dolby Digital playback no sonic information is lost (although you'll miss out on the heightened realism).
Finally, some hard evidence. Thank you Mr Frank.

Mr Frank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Mike*Sch said:
Finally, some hard evidence. Thank you Mr Frank.
You're welcome.
I thought that you would like that part of my post !
Obviously, encoding fully functional "EX Flags" onto DVD soundtracks is still problematic.
What did you think of the rest of the post ? Is the list useful ?
I find many so called "good" movie soundtracks to be disappointing, after DVD purchase or rental, so I attempted to come up with a "reliable" home theatre audio, DVD assessment list.
I had to share it with other home theatre fans.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I think that list is pretty good. It has T2 on there, which is really all that matters.
One movie from recent years which I didn't see on there is MR. & MRS. SMITH. If you haven't seen it, check out the director's cut. It has a really great mix.

Mr Frank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Mike*Sch said:
Yeah, I think that list is pretty good. It has T2 on there, which is really all that matters.
One movie from recent years which I didn't see on there is MR. & MRS. SMITH. If you haven't seen it, check out the director's cut. It has a really great mix.
I am also a Terminator 2 , disciple !
I know that my list is HUGE, so some movies will be missed when scanning it, but Mr. and Mrs. Smith was included.
I have not seen the Director's cut.
Alone In The Dark
Christian Slater, Tara Reid, Stephen Dorff
(Otherwise not a very good horror movie)
Mr and Mrs Smith -DTS-
(Occasional good sound effects)
(Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Vince Vaughn)
(Decent espionage action)
Serenity
(Good Sci - Fi action)
Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, Gina Torres, Adam Baldwin

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Oops! I missed that. Still, you should see the director's cut. It's fascinating. And, not to ruin anything, but the sound mix in the climax is substantially different. It's actually Liman's favorite change in the movie.

Mr Frank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Mike*Sch said:
Oops! I missed that. Still, you should see the director's cut. It's fascinating. And, not to ruin anything, but the sound mix in the climax is substantially different. It's actually Liman's favorite change in the movie.
If the soundtrack is definitely better, I'll look out for it

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't necessarily call it better. But it's definitely different. The way it was before was my favorite thing about the movie. But the new version is designed to be a lot less on the nose. In that way, it's more fitting with the style of the overall movie, although the original acted as a nice bookend.
I know this sounds incredibly vague, but when you hear it, you'll know what I'm talking about. I just don't want to ruin it for you.
Regardless, check it out because it's the way Liman wanted it to be, and the movie on the whole is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks