What's new

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Fight Club is NOT DD-EX as far as I know!!
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
Troy, you forgot to list End Of Days: Collector's Edition. This is also a Dolby Digital 5.1-EX Surround Sound Disc.
John
As far as I know, Fight Club is Dolby Digital 5.1 EX.
DaveJJ :) :) :) :) Have Fun Guys! My HT

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the responses guys! So I guess it safe to leave the receiver on the EX/ES manual setting all the time then. This won't be detrimental to the sound in any way, would it? I mean, I didn't notice any change in the other channels when I had the switch on for a non ES/EX disc.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Dave JJ--
End of Days was wrongly credited as having Dolby Digital EX encoding. Dolby stated the actual mix was only 5.1
Dan

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Frank,
You're forgiven!
crazy.gif

Henry,
Thanks! The list has been updated to reflect the current availability of Cheryl Crow ES.
Tom,
Don't forget Monster's Inc!
John,
It is. Check link here Dolby.com .
Dave,
I haven't found anything on End Of Days: CE being EX. Point me to a source and I'll update the list.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Troy: I OWN the disc man! I just checked the cover, the menu, and my DVD player!
They all say DD5.1! I think Dolby got it wrong!
Click here to see the actual menu as taken from my R1 DVD:
fc-menu.jpg

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
John,
To reiterate: Fight Club is NOT 6.1
You're right, and it never would be. Dolby EX is delivered as matrixed 5.1 don;t forget. :) A number of titles with DD EX do not state they are EX on the box or the menu...etc. I think perfect Storm is one such disc, as is Austin Powers 2 and a number of others.
Dan (UK)
------------------
Visit: Link Removed
Latest Review: Unbreakable

Garry I

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any DOLBY EX discs that actually contain the flag on the disc. On my DENON 3801 5.1EX encoded tracks such as World is not enough, Austin power 2, Fight club, Chicken run, Gladiator etc) and the packaging does not state that they are 5.1EX, even though they display as 5.1 when the 6.1/Auto flag is ON. There should be some distinction on the back cover so it is known whether they are 5.1EX or just 5.1. What is one title that states DOLBY EX on the back cover and conatins a flag

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Dolby doesn't include the flag in their EX software.
So you are rely on this thread and the likes.
Dts however do puts a flag into their ES matrix and Discrete softwares.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I believe that The Perfect Storm actually lists the Surround EX on the back. I remember seeing it at my mother-in-laws and chuckling because they don't even have Dolby Surround.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Stuart M. Robinson, founder and president of the SMR Group, is a knowledgeable and respected home theater, audio, video and technology freelance journalist.
He stated on one of his SMR Posts that now that Dolby has released v7 of their encoder software, we should now "hopefully", be seeing new DD-EX titles having a THX-EX flag (which includes DTS-ES titles) in the bitstream.
This THX-EX flag will trigger the "Auto THX-EX" feature on processors and receivers. To my knowledge, no consumer DVD has had this flag to date.
It was also stated that Dolby has planned a new trailer disc for release in August, and will contain EX material and it will be flagged.
spindvd.gif

Paul

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Garry,
Try Chicken Run with its DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track. You have the capability in the Denon 3801.
Since you have it available why not eat your cake too?
:)
Dan

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to kick this up again. I was just asking this same thing over at the Spot and no one could help me. I was looking at all these listed at THX website, but half of them in my collection didn't list EX on the package (FC, PB, AP2, Unbreakable to name a few). I didn't know if it was a THX misprint, a packaging error, or a different version issue. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks