What's new

Dazed and confused (1 Viewer)

Don Keegan

Agent
Folks, I need help understanding how to hear Dolby TrueHD DTS/MA from my BD through a receiver with HDMI connectors. the few manuals for model I've read say audio will not pass must use Digital or analog connection. My BD doesn't have 6 discrete analog outs. What do I have to look for in a used receiever that will allow the audio thru HDMI. Don't have the funds to buy new decoding recever just want to use decoder in my BD player. All help will be greatly appreciated!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well first you need to determine whether or not your blu ray player has on-board Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA decoders. If it does not, you will have to be sure the receiver you purchase does decode those formats. However if your BD player does have on-board decoding, you may be able to save a little money by finding a receiver that just accepts 7.1 PCM through the HDMI as the BD player would decode and convert the signals to PCM.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It depends which BD player you have. Supply the brand and model #. Do you have a receiver already or not, and which model?

What's your budget? The feature has dropped enough on this years models that you might be able to get a new receiver (~$180-200 for the cheapest ones w/o decoding but with multi-ch LPCM, $270-$330 for ones with decoding).

Mainly you are looking for "HDMI repeater" rather than "HDMI pass-through" or "HDMI switching". And search the online manual PDF's HDMI connection sections for verbiage like "separate audio connection needed" which is what you don't want.

It may be fairly hard to find a used receiver with this feature, since if a receiver has it, it would tend to be too new for anyone to really want to upgrade.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As the other two mentioned, if your BR player has an internal decoder then you need a receiver the accepts LPCM (7.1) over HDMI. In most brands receiver lines, the model just under the one that has an internal decoder (hdmi vs. 1.3a repeater) will do it. For Marantz, the 5003 is DD TruHD/DTS-MA compatible and the 4003 accepts LPCM. For Onkyo its the 606 that decodes and the 576 that accepts LPCM.

I believe HDMI 1.1 (and higher) is the version that accepts LPCM (like DVD-A) but I'm not positive. This is all very confusing and the manufacturers don't really provide the needed information. You have to dig for it.

Look for a factory refurb like the ones I linked to if you're on the cheap.

Lower end receivers, like the Onkyo 507 and Denon 590, are starting to include built-in decoders.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You might be able to find Pioneer VSX-519, Sony STR-DH700 in the sub-$200 range, that would meet your needs.

Don Keegan

Agent
Thanks Stephen for the verification both are on my find list for the last couple of days I believe I'm on the right track now thanks for the help! Everyone

Don Keegan

Agent
Well I finally got a hold of the Sony STR-DH700 and hooked it up to my sharp hp-bd 16 Blu-Ray player and spent the last two days trying to set up but I can't get it to produce surround sound of any sort I get no vocals from the on screen actors I do get sound out of all 5 speakers such as explosions and gun shots but not of good quality, but no voices what so ever I know i'm not even properly receiving the core Dolby Digital. I do know it has something to do w/the HDMI i'm using to connect the two. I set the BD player to output pcm so I can receive True HD i'm now more frustrated please help

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Did you run the auto-calibration on the Sony?
Does the test tone sound equal out of all 5 speakers?
Do you have the Sony on "A.F.D" auto-format direct auto?
In the audio menu, is "dec. pri" set to "dec. auto"?
HDMI menu, "audio for HDMI" set to "AMP"?

How does a std DVD do in the player?
Does either a std DVD or BD work with "bitstream" instead of "PCM" on the HDMI? (In the end you want PCM for the TrueHD etc. but have to try to figure out what works & doesn't to narrow down the suspects.)

Don Keegan

Agent
Did you run the auto-calibration on the Sony? No
Does the test tone sound equal out of all 5 speakers? Yes
Do you have the Sony on "A.F.D" auto-format direct auto? I will check
In the audio menu, is "dec. pri" set to "dec. auto"? Itried to set to that could get it to set
HDMI menu, "audio for HDMI" set to "AMP"? yes

How does a std DVD do in the player? the same
Does either a std DVD or BD work with "bitstream" instead of "PCM" on the HDMI? (In the end you want PCM for the TrueHD etc. but have to try to figure out what works & doesn't to narrow down the suspects.)

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Run the auto-cal, try to get those settings on auto, test with bitstream rather than PCM, and also test with optical instead of HDMI. Do you have any other DVD players? Idea is to try to figure out whether the Sony is busted or if it's the Sharp.

What's your volume setting on?

Don Keegan

Agent
I've tried all suggestions all setting standard dvd thru HDMI no go no center channel voice sound only, Hooked up optical works fine it has to be with the hdmi tried hdmi in all hdmi inputs no change????

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I've tried all suggestions all setting standard dvd thru HDMI no go no center channel voice sound only
This is unparseable, there's no way to decipher what you are saying here. Let's break this into sections, I'll assume you managed to get the receiver set to A.F.D. auto and dec. pri auto, input mode auto:

via HDMI connection:
- output set to bitstream.
Working or not? Does DD or DTS indicator show on receiver?
Sound out of all channels?
Is the center channel missing, or only getting sound out of center channel?
If you raise volume, everything gets louder, still missing center channel?

-output set to PCM. Same questions as bitstream, except DD/DTS indicator not expected to appear.

via optical:
- all working perfectly?

on the bd player i sel to play digital vice hdmi with only hdmi hooked up no opt/coax and got sound
??? Try to break this up into separate complete sentences.

Don Keegan

Agent
Stephen Thank you for the reply Sorry for the nonsense i've so far sent but 3 days of tring to get this to work has taken its toll .

First i have tried all suggestions but wondering utilizing hdmi should i use bit stream or pcm (surround)?

Don Keegan

Agent
also in the manual it states you may have to select hdmi video out to 720p 1080I or 1080p i;ve tried this to no avile but i'm using component out to tv because i have no hdmi on my older rptv tv so i selected the higher rate but don't really output do you think that could be the problem?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Try both! Answer the questions I gave you. Like I said the goal is to get PCM working, but whether or not bitstream works can sometimes give clues.

At some point you may have to obtain another model BD player to determine which component is faulty. But do the tests, so we have a thorough baseline of what works, and what doesn't.

You said you could hear explosions & the like. If you turn up the volume is this heard clearly? The soundtrack music as well? Is it only the center channel not responding, and is that with bitstream, PCM, or both?

Edited by Stephen Tu - 8/6/2009 at 12:36 am GMT

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Not having HDMI on the TV might be an issue. Have to call Sharp and ask, perhaps. It would be pretty lame, but it's been known to happen. E.g. my Tivo doesn't work with HDMI -> receiver, component to TV. But my Sony BD and previous Toshiba HD-DVD worked just fine that way. Which TV? Some old TVs have a DVI/HDCP jack that would work with an adapter.

Do you have the latest Sharp firmware loaded?

Maybe Sharp BD just sucks, too late to return?

Don Keegan

Agent
Yes i have the rec set to afd auto dec pri auto

via HDMI connection:
- output set to bitstream. YES
Working or not? no sound from fronts but no center Does DD or DTS indicator show on receiver? no
Sound out of all channels? sort of but no voices no words just lips moving
Is the center channel missing, or only getting sound out of center channel?
If you raise volume, everything gets louder, still missing center channel?

-output set to PCM. better sound from fronts no center no surround Same questions as bitstream, except DD/DTS indicator not expected to appear.

via optical:
- all working perfectly? yes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks