What's new

Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Build (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
UPDATE: ordering parts, hopefully due by Christmas. Going with the BASH 500 :) I do have a question - I didn't see anything on the PE site about the subsonic filter, just some references/tables about modifiying bass boost. Any more detail on what has to be done to check/eliminate the ss filter?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The SSF on the BASH 500 is set around 30hz which is way too high for home theater subs. Use that table to choose the bass boost (+1 db) and cut-off that you want....You can confirm the settings by looking at the resistors when you get it in.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I thought I remembered reading that there wasn't one on that model at the PE forum. I'll look over there again.

EDIT: the 300w is ok, but the 500w will require some modification of the resistors. Do you know where I can find a how-to? The spec sheet didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Basically I don't think I want the boost, just the SSF changed/removed.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
From PE Tech Service:

"

[COLOR= black]John,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]The rumble filter on the Bash 500 plate amplifier is fixed and changing it would void the warranty. Unfortunately I don't have any information on the modification.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Regards,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]xxxx"[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Left his name off to protect the innocent (or clueless). But, I was able to garner the values I needed from their forums. It looks like setting R17 to 20K and R18 to 75K will yield a Fs=18 and Q of 1.0 roughly. Does this sound like it will work out OK?[/COLOR]

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Sweet. Time to break out the soldering iron once this baby arrives.....actually the driver is back ordered until early January, which gives me time to get the enclosure made up and the amp modified.

I'll be using 3/4" Birch plywood for the enclosure, it should "finish" up nicer than MDF. Plus, it is only $9 more than a sheet of MDF. Going for a gloss black finish to meet WAF.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gloss black will show everything under the paint including the wood grain of the fake birch that Lowes and Home Depot sell. Go with MDF is you want a smooth finish.

Cut some of the panels large and then trim them with a flush trim router bit. Seal all of the edges with sanding sealer. Spray with a high build primer. Sand. Repeat until it is smooth as glass. In my project, I have a finish primer that I'm going to use once the temp is high enough. I'll sand with 800 grit for a very smooth finish. Next is a charcoal metalic followed by numerous layers of clear.

mcsoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Soulary
This is kinda funny, I joined to answer this thread lol.

I built 2 Dayton HF 15's in two separate 5.2 cube sealed enclosures and used Oaudio 500w plate amps. They have an adjustable subsonic filter and they use Bash amps. Just google Oaudio if your interested. My room is 18x14 and they go deep. I too used 3/4" birch. I tested them on tones down to 15hz and they are usable there and it feels like less than 15 sometimes too. Serenity is a real treat.

With that said, I'm considering going with two 18" sonotubes (basically a 12' piece of 18" sonotube cut in half) for them at 9 cubes each and tuned to 17hz.

One thing you may not know is that there is a nasty impedance spike at 20hz, most subs have one close to fr. I was testing 22hz good, 21hz good but lower, 20...oh no where's my bass! I thought they were done but they picked right back up at 19hz and then on down to 15hz where I quit testing.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Thanks again for the finishing tip Robert :)

MC - good to know, thanks for the info. I can always make a new box if I'm not happy with the sound from ported enclosure.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
UPDATE: All pieces are in, MDF purchased, ready to begin construction. I hope to document the build with some pictures. Also - man, I had forgotten how big a 15" subwoofer is. I hadn't seen one since "back in the day" when I had 2 Rockford 15s in the bed of my truck under the SnugTop. Man....that was 20 years ago!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Take a look at the 18's from TC-Sounds or the 21's from Exodus Audio and Incriminator Audio. That will make you appreciate a small 15. I have posted a pictures of my custom 15 that weighs in at 65 pounds.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Built the box this weekend. Also, going with the PE 500w rather than the BASH - I took one look at the resistors that needed to be replaced and decided that my soldering skill was not up to the challenge. That stuff is tiny, and packed in pretty tight. Robert - the Dayton 500w doesn't need any sort of modification, right?

Some pics: First is all of the cut pieces, gives you an idea of the size

Assembled with pocket screws and wood glue above.

Cicle jig used to cut all holes.

Ports and brace

Finish sanding

and ready to spray

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
HOLY COW! That's all I have to say. Sub is complete, and man, the sound is amazing. I haven't had a chance to calibrate yet, but initial impressions are good :) I have a feeling that this is going to be overkill, to say the least. I'm running the gain at 1/4 as an "ear shot" calibration. Let's just say that the sub is felt, that's for sure. I can't wait to play some good tunes, fire up a movie, and enjoy.

WAF is pretty low on an enclosure this size, but hey, it's all about the sound at this point.

I'll try to include a crappy cell phone pic.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Overkill is good. During the action movies scenes that test an average sub will still be distortion free on your sub.

I went back through the thread. Which amp/port combo did you choose?

Yes, large enclosures will get a low WAF but at least in my case, the wife enjoys a good action movie.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
The PE 500w didn't need anything did it Robert? I don't remember reading anything about it...

I had the BASH 500w, but after looking at the resistors that were going to need work, sent it back and got the PE 500w. For ports, I went with (2) 3" precision ports from PE, which happended to be finish up at the ideal length with all the pieces (seems like it was 17" overall). I figure my tune is right at 18-19Hz with the enclosure size (5.5ft3).

I briefly fired up Star Wars EpII for the THX intro and first "fly over" and was blown away. Still need calibration.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Just a small update on this:

Last year I remade the box for the sub, keeping the same tuning/ports. I used 3/4" birch, and doubled-up on the mounting surface, so that part of the box is 1.5" thick. I went with more of a "tower" look as opposed to the original "box" shape. The 2 ports are up-firing out of the top of the box.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't have up-firing ports - I'd lose a cat in them.

And I'm still using my DIY subs and speakers also. Quality components for DIY cost a little more but will last a lifetime if you take care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks