What's new

dayton 10" > infinity ps10? help! (1 Viewer)

gab_

Stunt Coordinator
I know it can't be true, but it seems that way. while the dayton was boomy, I could at least here it. not so with the infinity. I almost have to turn the gain to 100% to hear anything. setup:

I have an onkyo 602, and the sub is hooked up with a y-connector.

dayton: the dayton's gain was at about 12:30, and the sub level on the receiver was 0. when I did the auto calibration, the sub was set at -2.

infinity: the gain is at about 1, and the receiver's auto setup set it at 9. I set it back to 5, because that seemed too high. it is set on lfe, with phase at 0.

the sub's are in the same spot, and the crossover is on 100% for each. I'm crossing over at 80 hz.

please help!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like the Dayton has a better amp or is more sensitive than the Infinity. I don't think too highly of the lower Infinity subs, so what you're saying isn't surprising.

gab_

Stunt Coordinator
the dayton was just a 100w vs. the infinity's 250w. of what I hear, it sounds like the infinity gets much lower, and not boomy at all. problem is, I need to crank it to 100% on the receiver and the sub to really hear it.

also, there is an empty box and a changer on top of the infinity. wasnt so on the dayton.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
250W RMS seems pretty optimisitic for that Infinity. -3dB appears to be 27Hz on the Infinity. -3dB is 30Hz for the Dayton (125W).

Sounds like something is wrong on the Infinity.

gab_

Stunt Coordinator
does the fact that my auto calibration set the infinity at a +9 and my dayton at a -2 say anything about it being defective?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
What size are the main speakers that you are using this with? You may not be getting enough midbass "punch" from your main speakers and receiver, which makes you want to turn up your subwoofer until you hear the distortion products (which live in the midbass range). Effectively, you run the driver outside its linear range. Try leaving the subwoofer level control where it is, and setting your receiver's "bass" tone control to its maximum setting, which will also bring out more of the "punch" in the 200Hz region through your main speakers.

gab_

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think that's it...I went from some cheap sony towers to the infinity primus 250's. the speakers sound great...it's just that I can't hear the bass. also, I did a thx optimizer on a dvd, and when it went through the speaker tests, it didn't recognize my sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks