What's new

Day Break - ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

That is a good twist on the whole thing, though by spending a good portion of the final day in the second hour in the hospital, he was able to heal a bit. If it wasn't for his body continuing every day, I'd be thinking that he is just in an Infocom computer game. :)

I also thought that we'd only learn things from his perspective, but we've learned a few things that he doesn't know (yet) - such as the partial reveal at the end of the second hour - that Shelten (Adam Baldwin) knows one of the guys framing Hopper. Though from other comments by him, it appears he isn't in on the frame.

In Groundhog Day he had to get the timing right to fix practically everything that went wrong on that day. It appears that Hopper might need to do something along those lines as well. He made the comment about the person hit by the bus that he'd have to do something about that next time. There are lots of options and many different directions to as it unwinds. I don't think we'll learn why he relives each day and if that it left a mystery, I won't mind. I do think we should and will learn all about the framing and all those connections.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I have no problem with that. :)

The whole way it is playing out does remind me of one those games. I think the show is working out quite interestingly, giving a new perspective from episode to episode.

The filming of the series really must have a continuity person keeping an eye on things even more closely that in 24.

Neil

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Though it is, of course, a lot easier to do after 3 episodes than after 5 seasons.

You awaken. You realize you're not in your bed. You realize you have a healing, but still fresh, gunshot wound to your front shoulder that is covered with mostly dry blood. You remember you've lived this day before. You'll be framed for a murder you didn't commit. Nobody else remembers the previous incarnations of this day but you. You have chances, but if you die, you die.

>

EricW

Senior HTF Member
...i did NOT think the ratings would be so low:

"In its second week as a replacement for Lost, ABC's Day Break appeared truly broken Wednesday night, as it drew a meager 3.4 rating and a 6 share in the 9:00 p.m. hour. By contrast, CBS's Criminal Minds, which had been running neck-and-neck with Lost all season and had managed to take a narrow lead before Lost's current hiatus, dominated the hour with a 10.3/17. "
(imdb.com)

i hope they do end up airing all 13 episodes.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

Well what did you expect? A black actor as the lead in a non-ensemble drama/action series...I'm not surprised. I applaud ABC for taking a chance, and I hope they do stick with it till the end.

It just took a major dive in the ratings this past week, and unfortunately I don't see it getting any better. The fact of the matter is, ABC could cancel the show next week and throw Desperate Housewives reruns in its place and it would probably get higher ratings.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great show so far, but it doesn't really sit well with me that we've been given this intriguing new crime drama and it's only intended to "do for now" until Lost comes back.

As someone who doesn't care for Lost i'll take this show over that one.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

you can bet your derriere that ABC would've found a way to extend it if the ratings had been good, but at this point, getting all the episodes aired would be a big accomplishment.

We're down to 5 million viewers and it is only the second week..It could get real ugly in the coming weeks -- I'm thinking in the 2-3 million range if things really go south.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Uh, everyone worried about the ratings seems to forget what day the episode aired. It was the night before Thanksgiving, a time when many people were on their way to visit with their families or already there. I'd say don't worry much yet, and wait to see the ratings next week.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Very true and hopefully they will keep that in mind when considering the shows fate. What you said, and that is considered the biggest travel day of the year.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It's a bit sad for me if this show is doing worse than reruns of some of the more popular shows would. I've been a proponent of skipping reruns and giving some original content a chance where reruns would go. While I'm not ready to abandon the concept based on the performance of this one show, it does provide a chance to look at the situation. If reruns of Lost would get anywhere near the ratings of Daybreak, it'd be a windfall for ABC to rerun Lost since the money is essentially already paid for the episodes. Any advertising dollars would be gravy. Thus, it seems the financial incentive is on reruns, not original content. At least not unless the original content can perform better than the reruns would.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

sometimes stories are meant to be short. you don't want an arc to over-extend itself simply because it was more successful than anticipated, and for it to be stretched out. see how many stupid movie sequels there are. if it's meant to be 13 episodes, then it should stick to 13 episodes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it is different continuity that I am talking about. In Daybreak all the characters, their outfits, their makeup, everything needs to look the same each and every episode until something is changed by the actions of Hopper. In 24, things need to gradually change hour by hour. When I saw Penny Johnson Jerald at a convention I asked her how they kept things consistent and she said there was an actual "continuity person" who tried to keep those things straight.

Neil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the continuity person takes a lot of polaroids on the set for reference later to make sure scenes jointed together later also blend in well. They also have crib sheets of character props to deal with (cut on nose, bandage, etc) depending the scene being shot in relation to the script being filmed.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Yes, but a brand new show liked this needs to get an audience, and having the second episode on a travel day like that will hurt it a lot more than a show that has been around for a while and already has a loyal fan base.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
man these forums really are dead..

There's a lot more activity at AVS.

Anyway, the show has been canceled and will be pulled at the end of december for abc comedies, which will take over starting jan. 3rd. I'm guessing we'll have to watch the rest on abc's crappy online player as opposed to HDTV.

It's amazing that they find a way to kill a 13 episode limited run series.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
How f'n lame!!!!

Why not just show the full 13 episodes, keep it a limited run and be done with it.

I have never been so ticked at the networks as I have this year.

Kidnapped & Daybreak and probably others I'm forgetting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks