What's new

Day Break - ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
In the previews they showed the guy clearly, not all in shodow.

From the way they talked about the rest of the series it sounded like this is going to be over, done, fini in 11 weeks. Which sounds great to me.

After they first showed the mole people I thought *they* were causing him to replay the day. Perhaps the drug they inject him with. But then later they were surprised that he knew stuff so I guess that's not the case. Which makes that 'Action, consequence'... line quite a cheat.

I think that underground bunker with the mole people is the LA branch of the Dharma Initiative. How much connection to LOST is there with the makers of this show. The one guy looked like Kelvin and the way they do the breaks, with the music building to the black screen is very familiar.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

You're right. It was the guy who killed Eddie Murphy's friend Mikey in Beverly Hills Cop who Eddie later throws over the buffet in Victor's exclusive club. Looks like he's put on a few pounds in the last 20 years, but then again, so have I. :)

I missed the first hour, but as I knew the premise, was able to jump right in. Agree the 'real' show with fantasy premise seems a little odd, but cast is decent and tension seems real enough. The woman who plays his girlfriend is stunning.

Bill Simmons of ESPN.com made the comment last week that it would be odd if Diggs never says "it's like that movie, Ground Hog Day." Because it is so obvious that whoever pitched it went into the meeting and said "it's a combination of Ground Hog Day and 24" it's almost insulting that they don't acknowledge it as such. No reason to try and paint it as something completely original. We get it.

It seemed like the tag lines are appealing to the frustrated members of the Lost audience by proclaiming that it will all be resolved in 11 weeks, or whatever it is. It would be nice to see a network actually figure out that a show, esp one on this plan, has a lifecycle and plan its run that way.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Cuz!

I enjoyed the show, now hooked. I"m so glad that it's a show with an ending, unlike some shark jumping shows cough LOST cough

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I watched until the third time he "went back," probably around the 1 hour mark. But will probably watch again next week.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I tried, but they only seem to have the first 20 min segment up.

If you can find the whole thing, please let me know where.

Thanks!

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
They probably knew, they just didn't get a chance to ask the suspect about it. Or do you mean what happened after that scene?

Do they really teach recruits to pop baddies in the head, as well as the chest? That doesn't make sense.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it quite a lot. It will be ok if they actually plan to resolve it at the end. Unlike Groundhog Day, they should explain WHY the day is repeating. "The X-Files" had Mulder expounding several theories in the episode "Monday" (a great ep by the way) but they didn't really answer why either.

Let's see if Day Break takes the punt, too.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

on the last day, the cops didn't know about the gun - Taye Diggs said something like "is THAT how you planted the gun?" and the cop said "what gun"... so Diggs probably did something that resulted in the "syndicate" not planting the gun. in hindsight, there was a scene where the guys in the cars following Diggs on the highway said something like "we're past the point of framing him" or something to that effect.

anyways, i'm wondering if the show will even attempt to explain the ~why/how~ of the repeating phenomenon; they didn't bother in Groundhog Day.

i like the twist of Digg's body not resetting with everything else, though it probably is a device to stop him from going Wolverine on everything and just attempting life-ending stunts to get info and find more stuff out. (remember on Groundhog Day, Bill Murray did crazy stuff, not caring if he died).

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Finally got to see it on the web, but it kept freezing a lot. Will make sure to record it when it airs, here on out. ABC.com's streaming seems pretty crappy. I have been watching Kidnapped from NBC.com and never had problems like this.

Good start, like the series so far. Still unable to figure out what he can do in the first couple of hours of each 'day' to really turn things around. It seems like by the night before, things were to set in motion for him to do much to change it.

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
I interpreted it as meaning the gun had been planted, but the police were simply surprised that Taye would incriminate himself. Like on detective shows where the baddie says something that only they or the police would know, before it has otherwise been mentioned.

As far as the ABC streaming goes, before it would freeze and not recover. So they have improved it somewhat.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Great show! Groundhog day has always been one of my favorite movies, and this incorporated the concept very well.

I'm not sure of the how, but I think the "why" was explained best by the little boy playing "Jenga":

Boy: "What happens if I pull the wrong block and it falls down?"
Woman: "We start the game over"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks