What's new

Day After Tomorrow ISSUES!!!... (1 Viewer)

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I am not sure if this is only on my copy of the Day After Tomorrow. I was first extreamly impressed that it had a DTS surround sound track. As I started the movie from my favorite seat, I watched as the visual effects just came wave after wave.

That is until the wave actually hit the Island, At chatpter 14 2:10 seconds into the disk in AC-3 audio mode, the picture frose on me. I left it alone for a while to see if this would be a constant problem, well it managed to freeze on me about 7-9 times before continuing on about 3 minutes after the first incident. I first realised the problem when I was playing that same track in DTS, but the time that it froze was one second later on the DTS track.

I looked at the disk to make sure that there were no scratches. This is a new disk from only a few hours ago, but you never know with transport. But no, there was nothing on the disk, not a mark.

I am off to try this disk in a less expensive DVD player to see if it does the same thing. Maybe it is my expensive DVD Player that just does not like this movie. LOL

I should point out that I bought the widescreen version of the film and that I am running it on a Sony DVP 9000ES.

Stephane

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
hum, I just tried the disk on my Sony DVP NS 7700 which is way older then my 9000ES is and it played thorought the scean without a hitch...

Anyone got any thoughts on why this may be happening. I have no other issues with any other disks in my collection.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Sometimes some players just don't like discs for whatever reason. I have a Zenith DVD318 that will NOT play disc 2 of lawerence of arabia for anything. My Panasonic RP82 plays it with no problem. Sometimes players just glitch with certain discs for whatever reason.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg.. did you try another copy of Laurence of Arabia in your Zenith? I am going to go to Future shop tomorrow and exchange the copy that I got. I can only hope that this on playes it straight though with out a hitch.

greg_t

Screenwriter
No, I didn't try another copy because I wasn't going to buy another one just to test. It's weird because it plays disc 1 just fine, but nothing on disc 2. I have two other Panasonics and they both play just fine, so I know it isn't the disc at fault.

Let us know what happens with the replacment.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I liked the movie, even thought I thought it was as dumb as a bag of hammers. Your DVD player has better taste than I do.

:)

Seriously though, sometimes manufacuring defects that you can't see are the culprit. Keep your head up. Exchange if need be.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I brought my copy of the DVD to Future Shop and it did the very same thing as on my player. By selecting chapter 14 on there Toshiba DVD , it did not even start. So they replaced the disc for me.

I am watching the sick as I am typing this and voila... Once again... Chapter 14 ran flawlesly this time which is great. I thought that I was home free, that is until I hit chapter 16, in the firt 12 seconds of the chapter there is a lot of CGI graphics. This is where this second disk is having problems.

Once that we cut into a scene in the library, then the disk just keep on going like there was not tomorow...

Looks like I am going to bring this second one back to Future shop and get a refund this time.

I hope that everyone else enjoys the viewing of this movie. I cannot seem to get a copy that works for me. I guess tht I am also the only one that is having problems with this disk as no one else has reported any problems with it as of yet.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Well, I broke down and decided to buy this dvd now and when
I got home and checked the back of this dvd, it said fullscreen. The dvd fits into a cover sleeve and both front
and back said widescreen but the back of the dvd case itself
said fullscreen. Luckily widescreen was stamped on the disc
and when played it was in fact widescreen. Talk about an
interesting error though.
I also bought this disc at Futureshop. I've only
played the first couple of minutes so I hope it's free of the freezing problem. What I found interesting though, is
a bonus disc has been included.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
What's this bonus/second disc? Anything good on it, like stuff relevant to the movie? Is it inside the disc case? I haven't opened mine yet, not too late to get it from FS instead... Thanks.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
As far as I'm concerned the bonus disc can be tossed in
the garbage. It's about 13 minutes total of promotional
material. It's not worth the time to watch it, in my opinion. Yes, the disc was inside the dvd case.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I have the same Sony DVD player(9000es) and have had no problems so far. I haven't watched the moving from beginning to end yet but, I have watched the tidal wave scene a couple of times without any problems.

Edwin_M

Agent
I also had problems with this disc. At first I thought that it was only me, I have had a very high number of Fox discs that turned out bad. My first disc got stuck about 5:58 into Ch.16. I returned it and my new copy works fine. Is it just me or does Fox have the worst quality control of all the major studios?

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Edwin, I am glad in a way to see that I am not the only one that has had problems with this disk. Unfrotunatly unlike you my second disk did not play well either so I retured it for a refund. Now I m not very pleased in doing this at all because I truly wanted this disk for my collection.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Played all the way through on my ol' Toshiba SD-1600 without a single glitch.

I have always read with interest all these glitch threads...because, inevitably, the 1600 comes up as a player with all kinds of compatibility problems with certain titles. I've never had any (knock on wood).

The DTS track rocked the house! :D

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Mike I remember selling those SD-1600 machines. I am glad that you have never had a glitch with your machine, that is actually amaizing.

Like you I have an older DVD, the DVP-NS 7700 from Sony, it is circa the same time as your Toshiba came out. And as I mentioned in a previous post, it ran through the entire movie with out a glitch.

The only problem with this is that I have my theater downstairs and not upstaires where the DVP-NS 7700 is. I do not plan on moving the DVD player every time that I would want to watch the movie.

Stephane

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've not yet played the disc, but I have to say that whoever thought it was a good idea to print the movie credits and disc specs in dark blue on a black background should not be allowed near graphics design in the future.

The outer slipcase is better, but the inner keepcase printing is bordering on unreadable, particularly for those of us that are on the far side of 40.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks