What's new

Dawson's Creek Season 2 announced (and music replaced!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In most cases, it's the music publishers who are holding up the rights to these songs, not the CD companies. (CD companies are usually involved only when an appearance by the artist as well as the rights to a song are involved, such as on Saturday Night Live or a variety show.) These often are people who buy and sell the rights to songs like real estate, as producer Paul Brownstein told me; they just want a return on their investment. I contacted several publishers for the article. None would even get back to me.

To give you an idea of how some of these companies operate, Brownstein told me of a Sonny & Cher Show episode that he couldn't air on TV Land because a music publisher wouldn't grant the rights to one song. Sonny Bono wrote the song, owned half of it and personally OK'd its use on the re-aired show. The music publisher that owned the other half (an interest originally owned by producer Phil Spector, who did not write the song) refused to grant permission. So Sonny Bono couldn't air his own song on his own show because of a music publisher that owned half of it!
Just like Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs; from what I understand, nothing from the Beatles can hit the market without Jacko's okay on it. Which, I guess if his lawyer bills mount up, then we'll probably see more Beatles stuff hitting the market. :wink:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
When the episode originally aired in the US/Canada market, "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge was the song that was heard during that scene. Due to licensing issues, all other airings (internationally) did originally use the Bryan Adams song during that scene.
I thought the Adams' song worked great. I can't picture the much more bombastic "Am I the Only One" playing during that scene.
Having not seen DC Season 2 when it originally aired, and now seeing it on dvd. The music seems fine. Some very nice choices

RobertW

Supporting Actor
Just like Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs; from what I understand, nothing from the Beatles can hit the market without Jacko's okay on it. Which, I guess if his lawyer bills mount up, then we'll probably see more Beatles stuff hitting the market.
which is pretty much why you never heard the beatles' music used in advertisements until jackson bought the rights to the catalog. since then, it's been all over the place, and the number of ads using the music will probably continue to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks