What's new

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 (2 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Best movie of the summer for me, hands down.
Greg Kettell said:
So what movie is that destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge from? Because it sure wasn't this one.
...actually its the Bay Bridge. Furthermore Ceasar only holds a shotgun (or any gun for that matter) for about 25 seconds in the film, never fires it, and isn't riding on horseback.
Tino said:
I think I have those on state of the art VHS HiFi stereo for you. ;)Since apparently you have something against bluray because you seem to prefer inferior DVD and Laserotdisc.
This is the guy who stuck five speakers in front of his (SD) tv and only believes in using mono surround. He used to have a youtube page showing it off, it was quite horrifying.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A great hold for Dawn at the boxoffice. $36 million for a worldwide total so far of $242 million. From boxoffice guru.
THIS WEEKEND Caesar still ruled the North American box office as the well-liked action film Dawn of the Planet of the Apes pulled in the most ticket sales for a second frame at number one beating out three new releases over another sluggish session for what Hollywood chose to offer up this summer.The Fox film grossed an estimated $36M dropping a reasonable 50% in its sophomore frame pushing the total to date up to an impressive $139M. That was a great hold for a sci-fi sequel and shows that audiences are liking and recommending the adventure film. None of the new openers were action tentpoles so that helped as well. Dawn averaged a healthy $9,070 from 3,969 locations and is now running an encouraging 32% ahead of the pace of 2011's Rise of the Planet of the Apes. But the coming weeks will present some challenges with a large number of big-budget action offerings on the calendar starting with this Friday's double dose of Lucy and Hercules. Still, Dawn looks to be on track to reach about $225M from North America alone.50 overseas markets for Dawn, including 29 new ones that just launched post-World Cup, grossed a stellar $61M this weekend bumping the international cume up to $103M with seven of the top ten offshore territories still to open. Worldwide tally stands at $242M with 17 new markets including Brazil and Mexico debuting next weekend.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
andySu said:
How many times have we see The Golden Gate Bridge, being totalled?
In 1998 I was surprised that the MTV Movie Awards didn't have a "Best Destruction of the Chrysler Building" category.

It was destroyed in Deep Impact, Godzilla and Armageddon

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or, how about..."Best blow up job on the White House, ever"Seen ID4 and the Fox/Tatum one.(Change on to in...and you have a much funner category)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just got home from seeing this:

THIS is EXACTLY how a summer blockbuster/sequel SHOULD be made! Amazing story, acting, effects (I personally am tired of the CGI that looks like a really expensive video game rather than being "realistic") and a performance by Andy Serkis that is phenomenal! Who would have thought that a CGI ape could generate so much emotion? I'd say about 95% of the effects were just outstanding...

Surprised that no one in this thread had mentioned the homages to the original POTA...

Can't wait to see the next one!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
EricSchulz said:

THIS is EXACTLY how a summer blockbuster/sequel SHOULD be made! Amazing story, acting, effects (I personally am tired of the CGI that looks like a really expensive video game rather than being "realistic") and a performance by Andy Serkis that is phenomenal! Who would have thought that a CGI ape could generate so much emotion? I'd say about 95% of the effects were just outstanding...

Surprised that no one in this thread had mentioned the homages to the original POTA...

+1

Good script. The movie goes in exactly the direction that it promised us at the end of the last movie. Certainly not a thrill ride, but it makes up for it by commenting on themes of acceptance, segregation, discrimination, etc.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
EricSchulz said:

+2

Very well done film. It has heart, and a thoughtful script. Superb CGI, probably the best I've ever seen. Andy Serkis is outstanding. I would have made one change though:

I would have shown Caesar shedding a tear at the very end. Would have been a perfect homage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks