What's new

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/gary-oldman-leads-human-resistance-in-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes/
EXCLUSIVE: Gary Oldman is joining Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, the Matt Reeves-directed sequel to Fox‘s successful ape reboot Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Zero Dark Thirty‘s Jason Clarke and Kodi-Smit McPhee have already been set. I’m told that Oldman will play Dreyfus, leader of the human resistance after the apes have taken power. Fox has set the film for release on May 23, 2014.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Growing up I really liked the Ape movies but they seem stale now. I think a very bold reimaging would be to have the humans defeat the apes in the end. It will never happen unless they only plan on a set number of movies and thus could take a chance on a bold ending.Edit: yes I will go see this movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see elements of Escape from POTA in there, as well as some of Battle.

Looks promising. I'll be there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy shit, this film's getting fantastic advance critical reviews -- the world premiere was late last week, and every review is simply gushing:

http://www.variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-1201252833/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/dawn-planet-apes/review/715555

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-is-a-daring-and-dazzling-accomplishment

Even Devin Faraci (who hates everything) is madly in love with this film:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/25/badass-digest-presents-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-with-a-killer-livestr/

This film was already my most-anticipated movie of the summer, and to hear that Dawn not only surpasses Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but also might actually even be better than the 1968 original, only increases my fervor for this.

What a year for geek cinema 2014 is turning out to be -- this film, Snowpiercer, Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla, The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and to top it all off, Nolan's Interstellar in November will probably be the icing on the cake.

(Just wish we'd gotten Jupiter Ascending this summer too, but that list right there's already a massive embarassment of riches.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer for it recently. Didn't do a whole lot for me. Never was big on these films. Guess it is because the apes that replace us turn out to be just as shitty a species as we are. In fact, they are us. They just have more hair. Also, I could never get over the feeling that it didn't matter how intelligent they were; we would have wiped them out because as a species we are insane. If we started losing a war of survival like that, we would have destroyed the planet's ecosystem. If we couldn't win then make sure no one wins.

Edit: I should add, though, that the apes in the trailer did look incredible. The CG animators on the film did some amazing work on the ape characters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Better than the 1968 original? I'll believe that when I see it. I do think it could be every bit as good as Rise, which was very good, but I can't imagine how it can compare to the first.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's what more than a couple of noted critics have mentioned in the reviews -- in several respects, this film surpasses the Charlton Heston original in terms of characterization (especially with the apes), execution of concept, and in terms of grounding things in a grittier naturalism than the 1968 movie (which was largely successful at this, but does have certain issues that are more noticeable today).
Agreed, I wouldn't make such a claim myself until I actually see the film, but Rise of the Planet of the Apes was easily the second-best of the entire series, and everyone's now saying that Dawn is even better, so I can definitely see this as a possibility at the very least.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I see this is a Dolby Atmos movie. Shame I'd have to travel a couple hundred miles to hear it in Atmos.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Huffington Post ran an article on "22 Movies We'll Be Talking About for the Next Six Months," and here's what they said about Dawn:
Why We're Excited: We've seen it! "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" combines Spielbergian wonder with vintage "Planet of the Apes" social commentary. The result is one of 2014's best blockbusters -- a thought-provoking thriller with a beating, wounded heart. All hail Andy Serkis as Caesar, a motion-capture performance for the ages.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/01/2014-movies_n_5527949.html

With the marketing, it sounds like Fox knows they have a great film on their hands.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm expecting this to be my favorite film of the summer. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate to be a naysayer, but I have no interest in seeing this film. I'm Planet of the Apes out and I'd watched the original two films during their theatrical runs more than a few times in 68 and 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks