What's new

Custom Cover Davy Crockett Double Feature (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
Here is some original art for Disney's Davy Crockett double feature Blu-ray...

Davy Crockett Preview.jpg

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I received the Davy Crockett double feature and the Blu-ray of Disney's Treasure Island, both exclusives to the Disney Movie Club. I haven't had a chance to preview them yet.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
How does this look? I'm not a member of the Disney club. It's one of my favorite Disney live action films, so I was thinking of buying a copy on ebay. What's the verdict? I have the old DVD which is full screen. Is it worth the upgrade?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How does this look? I'm not a member of the Disney club. It's one of my favorite Disney live action films, so I was thinking of buying a copy on ebay. What's the verdict? I have the old DVD which is full screen. Is it worth the upgrade?

The PQ is excellent. There is some debate about what the actual OAR should be. These are originally made for Disney TV show then were later edited/released in the theaters in some sort of widescreen/matted/cropped presentation. The BD are around 1.66, the theatrical release was probably supposed to be 1.75 though obviously theaters varied on what actually was shown. There are also some cuts made compared to the original 5 54 minute TV episodes (counting Walt's intro/conclusion) that are in the Treasures Release.

Walt's parts, the summaries were deleted, but various material was also excised from the Original episodes to the Theatrical releases, and some say even a bit more for the TV presentation of the Theatrical Movies. Somewhere the 270 minutes of TV was whittled down to 175 minutes of movie.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Okay, interesting. I've always been a little confused about the correct aspect ratios, especially since these were originally filmed for television and then adapted for the big screen. Sounds like I should pick up the blu ray just for the PQ.

Maybe I should also find a good copy of the original television show as well. I don't think I've ever seen the original uncut episodes.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay, interesting. I've always been a little confused about the correct aspect ratios, especially since these were originally filmed for television and then adapted for the big screen. Sounds like I should pick up the blu ray just for the PQ.

Maybe I should also find a good copy of the original television show as well. I don't think I've ever seen the original uncut episodes.
Again the discs are excellent given the likely originals.

I'm not sure those unedited TV sets are available anywhere. I think they were only available in full form in the Treasures Sets and even those had some B&W material that had to be edited back it.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I did some ebay searching and the Treasure Sets are out there but they command some high prices. I'll keep my eye out to see if any of them stay fairly reasonable (there are two sets that being auctioned rather than buy it now currently). Interesting that even they had to have some material edited back in. How close to the original running time are the Treasure Set episodes?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As I recall on the treasures sets, Walt's intros and the Disneyland title sequences are in B&W, but the entirety of the Davy Crockett program portion is in color. The episodes appear to be uncut and full length.

The original retail price of the set was about $35, so anything close to that is awesome. They pressed more of Crockett than some other Treasures titles so it's not the most expensive one of the line on eBay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I have the 2001 Treasures DVD release as well as the 2015 BD release. Some day, I need to sit down and watch them all.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I did some ebay searching and the Treasure Sets are out there but they command some high prices. I'll keep my eye out to see if any of them stay fairly reasonable (there are two sets that being auctioned rather than buy it now currently). Interesting that even they had to have some material edited back in. How close to the original running time are the Treasure Set episodes?
To be precise:
Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter 53:45
Davy Crockett Goes to Congress 53:43
Davy Crockett at the Alamo 53:25
Davy Crockett's Keelboat Race 53:44
Davy Crockett and the River Pirates 54:14
These are completely uncut episodes including introductions by Walt as well as the previews (Next Week on Disneyland) at the end of the episodes. There are also a couple of very short black & white scenes within the episodes where the original color footage could not be located.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have the Treasures set and the DVD with the two theatrical films. The Treasures set is excellent.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

There are a couple variations on the sets which makes a big difference in price.

A review
http://www.dvdizzy.com/davycrockett.html

The numbered tins are more expensive. Many of the sets were released in cardboard pack without the tins and those sets can occasionally be found for decent prices. I can't remember is those were separate or only came in the Full set packs that some folks have parcelled out the individuals to sell. Some of the sets can get quite expensive with mint sealed tins.

There are also some Italian sets for very reasonable price, but are Pal with the speedup issues and not always the best transfers even for those that can play them.

Davy Crockett was in the first wave of tins and had 150K (the highest amount printed for any sets)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks