What's new

David Blaine's 44 Day Starvation Stunt (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes. I think it is called the "right of silence."
Except it isn't a right anymore. As far as I'm aware, under recent revisions, refusal to give a straight answer/denial may be taken as indicative (though not absolute proof) of guilt in a court of law. Brit law has been getting a bit toughter recently. I think I'm right - any lawyers like to offer the definitive word on this?

Back on topic - David Blaine is pretty well known over here. We've seen all his specials and those programmes of him doing those tricks on the street (BTW, am I the only person to find that trick where he produces money in a homeless person's cup of tea rather tasteless?). He also attained some notoriety over here a couple of years ago for an interview on British breakfast TV in which for several minutes he said barely one word and appeared to be falling asleep.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Just before Blaine started his starvation stunt the press attempted to interview him and so he started cutting off his left ear with a penknife, as you would do.
Pieces of ear were coming off and his shirt was soon covered in blood...:eek:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
the press attempted to interview him and so he started cutting off his left ear with a penknife, as you would do.
Yaknow.. as a public figure, you shouldn't disrespect the press. Like 'em or not, they're the ones who are going to make or break your career. If you refuse interviews or, act like a twit by cutting your ear off.. expect some bad press down the road.

I am growing so tired of Blaine's whole freaky, mysterious personality. I have much more respect for magicians who don't insult the audience's intelligence by suggesting what they do is anything more than an illusion.

Show me a good card trick over the cut off ear any day.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
At least he is cutting off his own ear. I don't see why he needs to do this in front of the media.

Ya know, who cares that he puts himself in a fishtank for 44 days, can't he just do this at home in private. Why does he think the public really cares? I certainly don't. Seems like he disappears for awhile and then shows up somewhere with some new stunt.

Jay

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

What the hell is wrong with these people? I've never heard of David Blaine but he's just some dude in a box. I guess Brits are even more obnoxious than the worst Americans.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

In my limited experience, Americans are the nicest people I've ever met. Americans, in general, appreciate people who try to stand out, it's actually seen as something positive. In Europe, it's seen as self-promotion which is of course only worth ridiculing.

At least it's good he didn't do this stunt in France. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Otto [American]: You pompous, stuck-up, snot-nosed, English, giant, twerp, scumbag, fuck-face, dickhead, asshole!
Archie [English]: How very interesting. You're a true vulgarian, aren't you?
Otto [American]: You are the vulgarian, you fuck!

:laugh: Quotes from the hysterically funny A Fish Called Wanda, which btw has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, it just popped in my head, had to post it.:)

ps. Rent, buy, see 'Wanda', great film. End of plug.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Just how well known is Blaine in the US? UK media keep reporting him as being a mega big deal over here in the US, but I genuinely didn't think he was that well known - he's not a megafamous celebrity that gets pages of coverage, is he?
Other than a few shows on The Learning Channel (the number two documentary channel), I haven't seen much of him anywhere.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Latest news from the box....

BLAINE PAINT BOMB PANIC

A prankster was arrested yesterday after blasting David Blaine’s box with a paint bomb. The smartly-dressed man fired several bombs at Blaine with a catapult at 3am,
scoring a direct hit with one.

The paint bomber was grabbed by security men after launching his attack from a derelict building near where Blaine is suspended. Blaine, who had been sleeping, looked round in panic when the pink bomb smashed into his box.

Security chief Pat Prince said “We’ve had the full array of things aimed at the box now — eggs, sausages, chips, breasts, golf balls, laser pens, paint and Paul McCartney.”

Sorry couldn't resist adding a few more items to that last paragraph.:)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This thread is hilarious. Some of the comments made by ordinary Brits were too funny. I think the guy is getting no end of shit because Brits don't take kindly to useless, grandstanding assholes. I used to think the British were pretty reserved; however, after reading some of their comments, I would have to say that is pretty much a mythic stereotype.

Model helicopters, paint ball cannons (after that I bet he wished he had a bigger crap hole), eggs, and Paul MaCartney being a complete asshole: too much fun. If anything, maybe the dope should be thanked for giving people something to vent at.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
BLAINE DANGLING IN A BOX UPDATE...

It's over...

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. illusionist David Blaine staggered sobbing from a Perspex box in London on Sunday to end a 44-day starvation stunt that has attracted admirers and egg-pelting detractors to the banks of the River Thames.

Visibly thinner, filthy and unshaven, Blaine broke down as he was greeted by hundreds of screaming and cheering crowds.

"I have learned to appreciate the simple things in life," Blaine said as he clutched a microphone against his chest. "I love all of you forever."

Blaine was given a check-up by medical teams before being taken to hospital where he will be reintroduced to food, a process doctors say is potentially life-threatening.

Hundreds packed the river bank to witness Blaine's exit from the box that has been dangling from a crane next to London's landmark Tower Bridge since September 5. It became one of the capital's prime tourist attractions.

Blaine has been verbally abused, taunted with sizzling hamburgers, pelted with golf balls and rotten eggs and kept awake with drums and foghorns. Someone even tried to cut off his water supply. Women have bared their breasts and one woman even ran naked under his box.

"It's not big, it's not clever, it's a grown man in a plastic box," says the Web Site www.wakedavid.co.uk that led a campaign to deprive Blaine of any rest.

Some critics have said his fast insults the world's hungry and the memory of hunger strikers who have died. Others simply mock him for what they see as a pointless, publicity grabbing stunt and many accuse him of cheating.

He has complained of black-outs, excruciating back pain, tasting sulphur and burping a lot. In his diaries, extracts of which were published on his Web Site, he said he most wanted to clean his teeth and have a good wash.

Blaine has also shown signs of delusion, dreaming of worms in his stomach and describing feelings of claustrophobia where the Perspex walls "feel like they're crushing my skull apart."

Blaine had lost 60 pounds of weight from this latest stunt.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I had forgotten he was even up there.

Looks like that dude in back of him should be the next one into the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks