What's new

Dave Matthew Band - Discussion of "Stand Up" (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Just tried it and the link is nowhere to be found..come on Warehouse, get it together!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it sounds like a good tune from what I've heard.

I can't get over how much Dave is sounding ike Peter Gabriel on these clips.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well apparently it is out there somewhere.....I dont know where but its there....if anyone can set me on the right direction drop me an e-mail

MichaelPR

Second Unit
MY GOD...I just want to hear this album. I don't typically download music so I have no freaking clue where to find it! I just want to listen to it once lol

Mike Slade

Second Unit
I'm listening to it now on VH1.com. So far I'm liking it (I'm on Louisiana Bayou right now). Those clips from the warehouse definitely did not give a good feel for what the whole songs would be.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to give this a shot. DMB hasn't done me wrong yet, not even with the Glen Ballard album (though it is admittedly by far my least favorite album of theirs).

If this is truly what the band wanted to do, then more power to them. If it's different from what we're used to, well how many of you have not changed at all 12+ years? No one can keep cranking out Crash/Crush type of materials album after album. We grow and change as people and musicians, so if they made the album they wanted (as opposed to the Ballard one where apparently Dave was happy but the rest of the band was like "whatever") then I'll judge it on its own merits and not on the results of some bulletin board poll.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I too was a bit skeptical upon hearing the Warehouse clips, but after seeing Louisiana Bayou live at the NO Jazz Fest this past weekend, I've been a bit more excited. The song Stand Up does suck (my friend called it the unfortunate mating experience of Too Much and I Did It), but American Baby is growing more and more on me. I listened to the first 4 or 5 songs on VH1 but am saving the rest for release date. I'm glad they're changing things up a bit, I just hope that some of these songs can really be transformed into crowd pleasers - kind of like how Don't Drink The Water is an awful studio track, but the energy live is incredible. I've got my tickets for both West Palm shows this summer so here's hoping for some exciting new live material.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well I have a copy that I have listened to about 3 times. It's alright. Not a spectacular record. In my opinion the title led me to believe I would be hearing some crazy new beats that would make me want to get out of my seat. Everytime I felt a song was about to launch into the enxt dimension BOOM it was over. A good example would be the AB Intro....Craters drums break up the drums for about 30 seconds....then the climax is cut off with more piano. The last song Hunger for the great light....is deffinately not a song for me. I really really like slow rider it's a way fun little song that i can see being jammed out.

Most of the song writing here seems to lack focus in my opinion. None of the lyrics really stand out at me. The boys sound like they have been Marooned 5 to me. not that that is a bad thing. The album is deffinately better than everyday but it is not better than busted stuff. Oh well....

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I don't mean to further crap on this album but after listening again with some friends tonight....It ain't good. I love this band and i love their live concerts and previous material. But the lyrics here are so underproduced. I feel that the band really tried to market this album to the fans as somethign new and different....to get them to accept...garbage. This CD makes me want to go listen to Busted Stuff....I have listened since I was in Middle School starting with UTTAD....Save your money and buy Cold Roses. let me know what you guys think...maybe you can sway my opinion

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I agree.

I prefer bands that grow musically, and was not hoping for another Crash with this album. But I was hoping for something better.

To my ears, most of the tracks are indistinguishable from each other. Dave's voice seems "up front" in just about every song, while the band has been largely reduced to background music.

Similar drum beats in multiple songs...It doesn't sound like Dave singing, it sounds like Dave's voice being run through a ton of digital processing.

I don't know. Maybe it's the production that bothers me. Seems too slick.

The bright side is that the tour will have some new tunes and some will probably take on a whole new life performed live.

Either way, I'm still buying the album in the hopes it will grow on me.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Hey Carl,
I do agree with you in the way this is liek crash....I see many different styles crashing together just liek on...Crash..lol...But the lyrics do not cut it for me....I don't mind the production at all to be honest with you...and I am digging the work Mark pulled on these tracks....It's the tracks themselves that I am having a problem with....Lets keep in mind in the end the band really decideds the arrangements here and the prodcuer acts merely as the director pull the best emotion from the performance. Since I have a copy of the album I am deffinately going to support the boys by making the purchase on Tuesday. Dave's lyrics are way lackign though compared to some devil. I have heard from insiders that Dave apparently cleaned his quill with Some Devil....well to be honest I wish he hadn't cause I love that album....I do not feel that this album will grown on me as I already find myself skipping the first 5 tracks and only listening to tracks 6-10....I really see why they are all out on this album....because it is very lackluster and they are trying to hawk it to the fans just like everday....once again i am open to anyone who can offer a descenting opinion here....cause I WANT to love this album.....thanks again guys

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I too really want to love this album, and I know it's just going to have to grow on me over time. I think that people are really going overboard with their harsh opinions towards SU. They really got to experiments with new sounds, every band members played a different instrument than they normally play, they got some new funk in the beats, and so on.

I've been a devoted fan since I bought UTTAD the day it came out 12 years ago and it would be silly to think that after 4 more studio albums and hundreds upon hundreds of live shows, that their style would not change. I don't mean change like Everyday by throwing in an electric guitar and having a more popish sound as a result of a bad producer, I mean letting them get this stuff out of their system that they've been wanting to experiment with.

Stefan has always been into hard rock and hip hop and stuff, you can easily see the way he explodes into the intro for Watchtower, and while I think it's a bit excessive, I've come to realize that they are playing their music, not the music I want to hear, if that makes sense. If they don't like what they're doing, that's when a band breaks up.

I know that 4 years later most people still hate Everyday, but it certainly has grown on me over time and I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy most of the album. When BTCS debuted people were totally turned off by the darker, more expressive sound. Now people realize how beautifully produced it was and many will agree that it is their finest work. Give the album time and let's see how they play out these songs live. The CD hasn't even hit the streets yet, for the hardcore fans, it's only fair to see how everything pans out; I know I will.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I don't think anything said here is going overboard Matt...things being said elsewhere are, but not here.
Here, I simply see opinions being stated.

I don't buy the 'people don't respect that a band has a right to change' type statement. It's often used as an all purpose and immediate write off of opinions that differ, and it puts an end to any worthwhile discussion of music.

I'm not suggesting that you are doing this Matt, but as I'm sure you're aware, this is already being said all over about the new album.

I'm too old for allegience to bands...I either like what they do, or not. That I don't care for the outcome of the experimentation or growth is not a slam toward the band, or the words of someone who just jumped on board DMB three years ago, or the opinion of someone who doesn't understand that bands can and should make the music they want.

I respect DMB for having the stones to stray far from what made them famous. I respected it and liked it immediately when BTCS came out. I thought Everyday had some bright moments...

This, I simply don't care for. Doesn't mean I'm no longer a fan. I'll buy the album after SG too, because I am a fan and look forward to what they'll do next even if I don't like this album and it never grows on me.

CarlP

Agent
Just received my allmusic.com update. The cd version lists Hunger for the Great Light at 6:52 while the dual disc lists 4:20. Please tell me they didn't edit this tune for dual disc. Weird, I thought dual disc could hold 65 minutes.
Anyone have concrete info on if the dual disc will be high-res DVD-Audio?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I thought so too. From what I recall, it's going to be 24-bit/48kHz...can anyone confirm?

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good-sounding version of SU on the Web, so I decided to just wait until release date instead of scouring the Internet for a CD I'm going to buy anyway.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That makes perfect sense and is what I'd much rather see a band do, even if it means they may alienate some of their listeners (me included). Go ahead and take risks, do what you want to do. If I like it, I'll go along for the ride. If I don't, I won't, but I certainly won't hold you over the flames for doing it.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I learned my lesson about instantly slamming a band for changing back when the Stones released Some Girls...Disco Stones and all that crap that I and everyone said about that album back then. Today, it's far and away my favorite Stones album.

How people look at SU 1, 2 or 5 years from now is probably going to depend on how the tunes translate live...Which is I think how it generally goes with post-Crash DMB music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks