What's new

Dave Brubek dead at 91 =( (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Sam.

Spinning up my copy of Time Out as I type this...

I've been looking for a good deal on the SACD of Time Out for years...never found one. It'll probably be even more difficult now.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
Thanks, Sam.
:(
I've been looking for a good deal on the SACD of Time Out for years...never found one.  It'll probably be even more difficult now.
Mike,
Time Out is easily my favorite album of his. The title of my 1960s CD collection was inspired by this title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/325793/dave-brubek-dead-at-91#post_4009939

And I should mention it's my work copy. That's right, I've got a copy at my desk at my day job...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
If these aren't the original label LP and reel-to-reel tape, I don't wanna hear about it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reel to Reel??? man, what a tough audience. I have one(I didn't buy it, came from a brother who was moving and wanted a safe place for it while he drove a semi...), but it hasn't even been turned on(by me) in 3 years. When my brother is close he'll stop by for a night at play it...but i don't touch the thing.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Very nice, Mike. Actually, I only have "Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein" on reel -- and just a few dozen other reels, all told. I do have a few of those albums pictured, and a couple of others, on nice Columbia vinyl. Love 'em.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/325793/dave-brubek-dead-at-91#post_4010156
I think the best is Private Brubeck Remembers.

And I'd vote for Dave Digs Disney. It combines two of my favorite things: jazz and Disney music. And the jazz, in this case, is extremely well done.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mike, do you have Arthur Lyman's Christmas album? The drums on Little Drummer Boy are amazing. I guess it's because he was part of that exotica, "hi-fi stereo demo disc" world. I also have that Brubeck, along with a handful of other CDs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/325793/dave-brubek-dead-at-91#post_4010211
Mike, do you have Arthur Lyman's Christmas album? The drums on Little Drummer Boy are amazing. I guess it's because he was part of that exotica, "hi-fi stereo demo disc" world. I also have that Brubeck, along with a handful of other CDs.

Wow, Greg. Whenever I get asked those questions, the answer is almost always "yes." But I think you've stumbled on something I don't have. Sounds intriguing.

I've probably got several hundred Christmas CDs and a few hundred Christmas LPs, too. But I don't think Arthur Lyman is in the mix.

I'm that guy who puts together his own Christmas mix each season and distributes it amongst family and friends. I started with cassettes. In fact, a few years ago I put put a "special edition" chronicling my 25 years of Christmas tapes/CDs.

And to keep on topic, last night I pulled a track from the Brubeck CD which will be on this year's effort.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Guilty as charged. I do still have a wall full of LPs, so I could certainly claim hundreds of classical albums, and somewhat fewer shows, soundtracks, jazz, and miscellaneous stuff. The good news is that I purged a lot of duplicates and actual junk last year. (At one time, I'd estimated the "collection" -- actually an accumulation that I finally determined was out of control -- at 5000+ albums.)

And then there are the books. Oh, and that little matter of DVDs, BDs, and still too many LDs. Oy! Sorry I brought it up!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/325793/dave-brubek-dead-at-91#post_4010293
Guilty as charged. I do still have a wall full of LPs, so I could certainly claim hundreds of classical albums, and somewhat fewer shows, soundtracks, jazz, and miscellaneous stuff. The good news is that I purged a lot of duplicates and actual junk last year. (At one time, I'd estimated the "collection" -- actually an accumulation that I finally determined was out of control -- at 5000+ albums.)

And then there are the books. Oh, and that little matter of DVDs, BDs, and still too many LDs. Oy! Sorry I brought it up!

Somehow, I knew! And you are on me for a few hundred Christmas CDs...?!?

I've probably got several hundred Disney CDs/LPs, too. Besides the film soundtracks, lots of theme park music and cover recordings. And then the rest of the music! And, as you noted, the BDs, DVDs (and even a few LDs) have taken on a life of their own.

My wife allowed(!) me to take over my son's bedroom as my "media room"--as long as she had access to his closet for clothes! He graduated college this year and is now out in his own apartment. We are now official empty-nesters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks