What's new

Data time is changed on XP with Daylight/non-daylight change (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have an XP system SP3. Like in the spring, Europe has changed from daylight time back to "winter" time. My W98 computer states that there is a change and is it OK. XP doesn't say any thing. In addition all of my data time is either incremented/decremented by 1 hour which I don't want done!!!!

For example my file had the time 14:15 was changed to 13:15 today. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I believe the US changes this coming weekend.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
We have a dedicated Computers forum (under "Other Diversions")

Perhaps your computer's Time Zone is in the US (or some other place where the time has not switched back from Daylight to Standard). You'll want to check that first: double-click the clock/time display to open the Date and Time Properties. Note that the "Current time zone" is displayed at the bottom of the "Date & Time" page. If it's wrong, click the Time Zone tab. If you're in Munich, I guess you'll want "(GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin".

If that's not the problem, you can check Microsoft's Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
That's a normal change in all file systems. The last changed/creation timestamp on a file is stored within the file as GMT/UTC which doesn't have a DST property. It is adjusted to your local time based on timezone settings.

Or were you referring to data stored inside a document, like a date/time filed in a database or spreadsheet? That shouldn't change.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by nolesrule

That's a normal change in all file systems. The last changed/creation timestamp on a file is stored within the file as GMT/UTC which doesn't have a DST property. It is adjusted to your local time based on timezone settings.

Or were you referring to data stored inside a document, like a date/time filed in a database or spreadsheet? That shouldn't change.
I am not clear what is meant as GMT/UTC which doesn't have a DST property. This never happened with my W98 and I don't really want the times in my files changed - so I can later compare with modfied files. My PC time did change which is ok but unlike W95&W98 - when the computer is turned on it states did you know that .....

See the following link:
http://www.keyongtech.com/3932323-daylight-savings-time-time-change

There is a box in date & time properties :Time zone - automatically adjust clock ....
what happens if I uncheck that box. Next year - can I reset my time without my files being modified.????

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Actually, 95 and 98 handled file times incorrectly with a change for ST to DST and vice versa, and to answer your question ,the local file times will change anytime you change back and forth between the two, whether the box is checked or not.

UTC is Coordinated Universal Time. Think of it as "International Time". It happens to be the same as Greenwich Mean Time. It has no Daylight Savings Time adjustment, so it is always counting forward one second at a time. Windows, or any other operating system, uses your local settings to determine the local time of the file. During standard time, it uses whatever your time zone's standard offset is. During Daylight Savings Time, it adjusts it by one hour less.

For example, a file in the Eastern Time Zone is saved during winter at 12pm. The offset from UTC is -5, so the UTC timestamp on the file is 1700. Come summertime, when DST is in place, the offset is -4, so the computer now translates the time as 1pm.

You will see the same kind of adjustment if you change the designated timezone on your computer. If you set your locality from Eastern to Pacific time, the timestamps on your files will adjust by 3 hours.

knife

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph
If you set the time time in Windows time/date then i sure your problem will be solve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks