What's new

DARLILNG LILI dvd on October 25th! (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a copy today in NYC. The box states a running time of 107 minutes. The actual running time is 115 minutes. The overture and exit music are included, which may account for the discrepancy. No intermission/entracte, but I don't recall that the original release had one, either.

Video (anamorphic) quality appears fine based upon a quick scan of the film; ditto the audio (available in 2.0 and 5.1).

The DVD features the director's cut, which is substantially shorter than the original release. The scenes deleted from the original release---a whopping 19 of them, including some very long sequences, such as a nearly 6 minute segment in a nightclub---are included separately and unfortunately are not integrated into the film via seamless branching. The deleted scenes are in good condition but the audio for the deleted scenes (2.0 only) struck me as somewhat muffled.

A unimpressive trailer is also included, using a series of unattractive still photos (with marketing like that, no wonder the film bombed). There are no other extras.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Since the film, thanks to the director's snipping, now runs less than two hours, and would seemingly no longer be an "event" film, the inclusion of the overture and exit music seems a bit ridiculous (though welcome).

At least the deleted scenes are included, so enterprising fans can assemble their own complete version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw darling Lili many times in theaters and it always had intermission music and intermission. Oddly, I NEVER saw it with an Overture. The album had one, but the film didn't.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting information about the intermission. I saw the original version in a revival house years ago (I think it was at the Regency in NYC) and there was no intermission break. Perhaps I saw a general release print that omitted the intermission.

The DVD packaging is bizarre. The artwork positions "Darling Lili" as a wartime melodrama yet the copy on the back of the box refers to the film as a "musical extravaganza." Seems as if the current regime at Paramount is just as clueless as to how to market the film as was the Paramount regime back in 1970 (the trailer included on the DVD has to be seen to be believed).

It's unfortunate that Edwards didn't provide commentary (he and Andrews provided an enjoyable commentary on the DVD of "Victor/Victoria") and present his side of the story behind the making of the film, which had a turbulent production history. It would have also been interesting to hear the story behind the director's cut.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Another film I never heard of until seeing it out for release Oct.25. I have read on Amazon that it was cut from it's original feature length. On the dvd, which I just watched last night - and the transfer itself looks very good - there are 19 deleted scenes included in the Special Features, along with a trailer. Does anyone know what was cut and why? Overall I thought it was a good film (set in WW1) with some nice songs that only Julie Andrews can sing so well. Oar is 2:35 and you have a choice of 2.0 Surround and 5.1. I set it up for the 5.1 and it worked well - nothing spectacular but pleasant enough with good range and dispersion. Also stars Rock Hudson and Jeremy Kemp - who I think is quite an underrated actor.

If your a fan of Julie Andrews you should pick this one up , it is worth it for the songs. I found it a bit uneven as it tries to be somewhat light and serious but still worth a look. It was produced and directed by Blake Edwards with the music by Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Wish I had caught this thread before posting, seeing Eric's
remarks beforehand I would have left well enough alone - hopefully anyone with even a passing interest wil pick it up.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just got a copy of "Darling Lili". Looks good. and it contains an overture and exit music . Its great to have the deleted scenes but I sure wish they had included the Original version which I remember was much more entertaining.

Jo_C

Second Unit
I just caught the last five minutes of "Darling Lili" on TCM. According to the log, it started at 9 PM Pacific Time. The Rose Bowl was still on ABC when it started. "Lili" ended just now at about 11:25 PM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this broadcast the original uncut version? The "director's cut" Blake Edwards pieced together for sister network TNT was shorter at 113 min.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I watched most of it last night. They had the overture, but no intermission. I don't know about the exit music.

I can see why this got cut down. The movie seems to go on and on and kinda overstays its welcome. I can say that the flying scenes are pretty beautiful, but other parts are very stagey.

Jason

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Very cool. I'll record the repeat broadcast, and I'll have an uncut widescreen version of the film. I won't need the DVD.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Guys,

The uncut version of "Darling Lili" ran again today on TCM. All of it, including Overture and Exit Music, and in letterboxed widescreen. I don't see another showing in their schedule for the forseeable future, so you guys had better have recorded it on your VHS or DVD-Rs or, as Dirty Harry says, "You're just out of luck".

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it. If the deal is that Blake Edwards says only his directors short cut may be shown or released, how come TCM gets uncut and we get it cut on dvd?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks