What's new

Darkness Falls. Holy cow... spookey as all get out. (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tommy ceez.
i found this movie to be more annoying then scarry as it relied on to many loud sudden music cues to try and startle. this was all this movie had.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...I got the DVD...and whoa the sound was excellent...movies not scary but I enjoy it...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'd like to buy this one, but may wait til possibly a Superbit is released. You never know.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
a SuperBit will be released is my bet (since this is an RCE title. based on the current trend, that is).

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I borrowed this title from a friend, and was really looking forward to a GREAT show. Well, my wife and daughter were gone, so I cranked it up. And like several before me, I didn't find this one scary at ALL. Loud music and sound cues, yes - "Scarrier than 'The Ring'" - NO WAY.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Am I wrong in thinking that on the front of the box it says that it is scarier then the Ring?
Anytime a film compares itself directly to another film, I always choose the film it compares itself to. The Ring wasn't scary and DF was even less so but at least The Ring had some intelligence going for it.

Bruce

Sean Coon

Auditioning
I thought the movie was great. I thought the sound mixes was better than XXX.

Here is a quote from Joe Harris from his message board.

I have sought confirmation and it has pissed me off... apparently, the disc is packed with stuff and marketing decided to cut the TOOTH FAIRY short from the North American DVD release.

Which sucks.

It IS however, still due to be included on the international release of the DVD which will roll out over the summer, I'd imagine. But this sucks for the NA customers (and fans) who I know would enjoy this. So I have an idea. See the new message I'm about to post and maybe you can help.
You can check out his short film, "Tooth Fairy" here.
http://www.moviemaniacs.net/news.htm

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Just watched Darkness Falls last night and was pretty disappointed.

Immediately, the holes started appearing in the story. Big holes that took me right out of the film mentally. For instance:

This has been going on for 100 years and nobody's figured it out yet?

Then there were cheats all over the place that destroyed my suspension of disbelief, mainly people falling from great heights and getting up, even our hero being hurled through a windshield at high speed and emerging with nothing more than a few cuts; c'mon...that kills you, dead.

And there was almost zero suspense. There was some in the opening segment, but after that it was all loud cues and run from the monster. The most suspenseful scene was deleted from the film! That's the one where Caitlin has to walk through the dark with her eyes closed so that she doesn't see Matilda.

Finally, who in the hell were these people? Why was Caitlin taking care of her younger brother? I got no sense of their personal lives outside of running from Matilda, no sense of characterization whatever. What a waste of excellent actors!

All in all, it was as if I saw the Reader's Digest Condensed version of the film, all sizzle and no steak.

Very disappointing.

Jan

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Exposing the 2 year old to that content doesn't bug me nearly as much as exposing a set of 2 year old ears to reference level volumes that you describe as being nearly "unbearably loud".. WTF is that?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Just saw this on Dish Network in DD5.1.

The soundtrack is impressive. Very aggressive.
Emma Caulfield isn't unpleasant to look at.

That's about all that I can say that is positive.

This had a decent premise, but it was poorly executed. Usually, I consider it a crime for a feature film to have less than a 90 minute run-time. In this case, it was a blessing. It was one of the SHORTEST live-action moveis I've seen...

The Ring, which wasn't very good, is superior.

PASS on this one.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I too bought this because of all the posts saying how aggressive the soundtrack was. Well, yes, it was. But the movie itself was crap. This is one case where the critics were right. Favorite line... "let me pick the gravel out of your hair." THis will become a classic to remember through the ages.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Can anyone confirm one supposed hole I saw in the movie? Major spoilers:
When the power is out in the hospital, shouldn't the elevator NOT work? Last time I checked, you couldn't use an elevator on batteries. And if there is a generator, which they never mentioned, then shouldn't the emergency lights also be running on it?

And how about:
The fact that glow sitcks scare her away, meanwhile lightening does not. If the faint greenish light can keep her away, I'd assume she would be useless in a thunderstorm.

The movie's opening scene was pretty good, but then stuff like this started bothering me so much I couldn't watch the film without yelling at the TV, which annoyed everyone else watching the movie. And I'm only going mention the Sauron "I see you" rip-off. A perfect ending to put me through the roof.
, I won't talk about what I wanted to throw at the screen after that happened.

The people I was with like the movie, and I can see how, if they didn't want to realize the things that I saw wrong with the film. I'm not going to ruin their movie watching experience, and I'd appreciate it when they do the same. But I definitely do not suggest watching this. And IF you must, just watch the opening sequence, then stop the movie and say "wow, that was pretty cool."

This movie actually got me angry, it might be the worst thing I've seen ever, and I've seen The Mexican.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think a lot of people saw those holes, Greg. :D The film definitely didn't obey its own logic at several points.

Dan M

Second Unit
Greg go,

listen to the commentary track. It may help fill in a few of those holes

But if this movie makes you angry.......maybe just don't bother;)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Ha... Well if the people I know that like the movie ever watch it again when I'm around, I'll try to persuade them into giving it a try with the commentary. Watching a movie with a commentary is a completely different viewing experience, so it may be bearable. But I remember after seeing the movie there were at least 20 things I didn't like about the film, and now I've forgotten most of them. So perhaps I shouldn't even bother watching it.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
listen to the commentary track. It may help fill in a few of those holes
If they have the answers to some of the HUGE holes, why didn't they bring that across in the film? Oh, yes...that quick-cut editing doesn't allow for that pesky thing called a story.

Bruce

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
Be on the lookuot for the release of The Eye, another Japanese horror movie.

And a friend was telling me about another Japanese horror movie called, "Junk"

And have any of you seen "Audition". Its really great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks