What's new

Dark "Welcome to DVD" intros on the new WB HD DVDs (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The intros on the two new Warner HD DVDs (Goodfellas and Swordfish) are WAY dark. It takes about 10 clicks up on the brightness to get the image to match the intros on the previous Warner HD DVDs.

I believe the black level is correct on the films themselves, though I'm not certain about Goodfellas (it may be a bit dark, but I'm not sure and I don't have the SD DVD to compare).

Anyone else notice this? And can anyone comment on the "correct" look of dark scenes of Goodfellas (from the SD DVD or other sources)? Is the normal look of the film a little dark? I'd like to put that to rest and not give it any further thought.

Even though this is just a screw-up on the intros (hopefully), how the heck could Warner let this slip by on a format under such scrutiny?

Even though an oddly dark "HD DVD intro" doesn't detract from the film in any way, it is still concerning that it seems they are rushing through the mastering of these things and making mistakes like this.

I'm dying to get Batman Begins, The Goblet of Fire, King Kong, etc... in HD ASAP. But seeing this, I'm OK with them taking a little more time so hopefully they don't screw up something important. Sigh.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How's the sound level? Still 10db lower than reference?

(I won't have my copies until tomorrow.)

- Steve

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Is there any measurable way to determine a film is 'X'db below/above reference level, or are we doing it by ear?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I hate those intros. Anyone watching them has perforce already bought into HD DVD so why the hell do they think they need to advertise there? Just go to the frickin' movie.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i much prefer these to the "don't be a criminal, you!" spots on the Fox discs.

in fact, i can also almost still recite the old Fox promos by heart ("Hold onto something" "What are we looking at here"...Fox DVD video- GET INTO IT!").

for the moment i don't mind these, because i can at least get a taste of Batman begins until it finally actually shows up.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If they were as short as the old Fox promos, it would be one thing, but these just go on and on.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My receiver's display is in half dB increments.

You can also measure it with an SPL meter, like the ones you can get at Radio Shack.

Goodfellas is definitely mastered with louder sound, by the way.

- Steve

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I kinda like this intro, it gives us a taste of HARRY POTTER IV and BATMAN BEGINS in High Def. Plus, it was really neat to see when I first hooked up the player. But it will become repetitive if it's included on every WB disc.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I also prefer it to the old MGM lion intro- you remember...the one that was recorded about 25dbs louder than what your reciever was set for.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

I enjoy it as it has a few clips, in high def btw, of other movies coming up. Although the quick shots of Matrix behind the scenese looked horrid. An any case, you can always FF Chapter Skip and get to the next item in the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks