What's new

Dark Skies? (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
There was a series on NBC some years back that I really liked. Does anyone else remember Dark Skies...?

It starred Eric Close and J.T. Walsh, and a pre-Star Trek Jeri Ryan. I thought it did a really interesting merging of alien invasion and JFK conspiracy theories.

I believe it was only one season...though that one season spanned pretty much all of the 1960's...

I'd probably pick this up if it was released on DVD.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
It was a good show, but I wonder if it was popular enough to sell on DVD. I don't know anyone else that watched the show when it was on TV.

Gord

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I watched this religiously for the short time it was on, but I doubt that there are many others who still remember it.

Ed_City

Agent
This is the kind of show I can see being released when all the big lakes have been drained.

FWIW, X-FILES even did a really bad rip-off of DARK SKIES in an episode called "Travellers".

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I watched Dark Skies. I saw every single episode. Starz! or Encore showed the pilot episode 2-3 months ago and I taped it. I do know Dark Skies was listed as one of the choices on Sony Pictures lastest TV on DVD poll.

derek

Second Unit
Loved Dark Skies. The settings in the past gave it a nostalgic B-movie feel and thoroughly enjoyed how they tied real history into the alien activity. Would love to see it on DVD.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I liked it but if I remember right it had a cast change halfway through that I didn't like so much. Still I would buy it on DVD. Dark Skies aired with Pretender and Profiler and a few years later the timeslot hosted a series I liked more called The Others. While I would like Dark Skies on DVD I would prefer The Others.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Hmmm. I don't recall that. I remember Jeri Ryan being added, but other than that I think the original cast remained.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Megan Ward kind of dropped out halfway through, and her character became taken over by the Hive and she joined the enemy - she was trying to recover her son when she decided to embrace her inner alien. Ryan's Juliet then became the primary female lead. I read that Megan Ward and Eric Close didn't get on too well, and that may have been the reason for the cast shift.

The show had potential, and they did a couple of really outstanding episodes. But sometimes I felt they got caught up in themselves. The creator had a five year plan, I kind of remember, and had hopes of a long run to bring the series into the present day. The viewing public didn't agree, though, and the show was cancelled before all the episodes had been shot. The finale was, IMHO, one of the worst final episodes I'd ever seen. Still, I recorded every episode when it aired on NBC, and I'd buy it on DVD. I loved J. T. Walsh on this series, and it would be worth it for me to have for his performances alone.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ed_City wrote (post #5):

The "wrap-up" of the story in the final episode was due to the producers' lack of funds to finish off the series the "proper" way, as I remember reading it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yep, remember it. Out of the three series that made up the NBC Saturday Night Thrillogy (Dark Skies, Pretender and Profiler) only one (Profiler) has made it to DVD. Dark Skies would be another great one shot release (even barebones) for NBC/Universal. Couple that with Earth 2 and Captain Power (and maybe the first volume of seaQuest)...

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Deb,

I had thought that even though Megan Ward's character arc went in a different direction, she still appeared in each episode.

Am I wrong?

john_hood

Grip
For all its faults I loved the series. When it aired in the UK I had recently graduated from University and had started working for a well known media company who were likened to Majestic 12!

LCD22

Screenwriter
I remember this series. I haven't been watching NBC's latest sci-fi series "Surface". I still have bad memories with NBC over the cancellation of "Quantum Leap", the constant cast changes on "SeaQuest DSV", and "Dark Skies" (especially that ending). Conor O'Farrell was on this show (he did an excellent job on "From the Earth to the Moon", which was recently re-released). He also guest starred on "Early Edition". I always liked that actor. I'm surprised this is not out yet given both Eric Close and Jeri Ryan (who I felt did a excellent job on this show IMHO) were in it. And then there is the late J.T. Walsh.

John*D

Second Unit
I would buy this if released on DVD. Use to watch it when it was originally on NBC!

Would also like to see CBS's Now & Again get released...

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody ever figure out what the show's creator had in mind for the next four seasons, ie when it reached the present? IIRC, the show would have hit its five years in 2000.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I would also consider buying this DVD. I remember watching the seriues when it aired but I believe it lasted for only once season with a strange cliffhanger that was never resolved. Matter of fact, I recall the girlfriend that was kidnapped by the aliens and he was trying to get her back.

They really need to release this as a classic sci fi series.:D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

This one is one of the few post-80's shows that I'd get on DVD if it becomes available. There were rumors about it coming a couple of years ago but the online talk about it disappeared.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Sony shelved it (for the time being) due to high music costs. "Dark Skies" would make an excellent Shout! Factory release, but I don't see them licensing this to them any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks