What's new

Dark Shadows: The Beginning Disc Problems (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Does this make sense to anyone here? I think the information is conflicting--esp. the parts concerning the number of episodes per tape.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I think you're right: the VHS episodes* are, I'm quite certain, not edited. The flaw in the Amazon poster's logic is where he's talking about missing footage in VHS volumes 1-4. As most die-hard DS collectors know, the first two VHS boxsets (volumes 1-8) were all edited compilations. Fans complained (I guess) and starting with volume 9, they started releasing the complete episodes. I think MPI's explanation for the "complation" versions was they wanted to make sure the focus was on Barnabas, so they cut out some of the other storylines.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't MPI release the complete episodes of the material on volumes 1-8 at the tail end of their "Collector's Series" VHS range?

* apart from volumes 1-8.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Andy,

As far as I know, I believe you're correct.

On another note, I have been trying to resolve the episode numbering for quite some time. I understand the difference between 1225 (the total number of episodes) and 1245 (the increase due to the show being preempted twenty times). What I don't understand, however, is when you get to an episode that (e.g.) reads as 362/363. It's only approximately twenty-two minutes long, so it's really only one episode. Perhaps this is how they list (account for) the preempted episodes? That would make sense. I have seen this two or three times on the Dark Shadows Collection 2 (or maybe it was Collection 3) DVDs. But that's only part of the problem for me.

When I multiply 25 boxed sets by 40 episodes each, I get 1,000 episodes. To this I add the final boxed set (Collection 26, consisting of 19 episodes). To this figure I then add 209 episodes (pre-Barnabas episodes, now included on the Dark Shadows: The Beginning DVDs), for a total of 1,228 episodes. There has to be some overlap that I'm missing. My guess--and it is only a guess--is that it occurs around the time of Jason McGuire's demise (or just before that, at the wedding that almost took place).

I know, I should be doing more interesting things with my time--LOL. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Does anyone know how to use the Edit function? I try to add edits, but when I post them, they do not take for some reason.

Never mind--I figured it out. You need to click 'save.'

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Andy, you are quite right. I own the entire MPI Dark Shadows VHS tapes (including all of the compilation tapes and the 91 series). Once MPI did the "Collectors Series" they released the complete episodes that had previously been edited on Volumes 1-8.

When the DVDs were announced, I was hoping that this time around MPI would release the series in it's proper order (1-1225), but again they chose to start with Barnabas. Why, I don't know. It's pretty clear to me that the only folks who are buying these DVD are the folks that are hardcore fans of the show and most (if not all) of them will buy the entire series. To me it just doesn't make sense to release the sereis the way they have.

The show is much more interesting to watch if you watch it in order. That way you can see how it became what it turned out to be. Yes, Barnabas saved the show, but I find the episodes before he arrived just as interesting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As do I. [I was trying to find a clapping emoticon. ;) :clap:] Maybe this will do:

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Has anyone whom is expecting Dark Shadows: The Beginning (with the corrected Disc 4) sent to them received their copy yet? I never asked MPI about a timeline. Thanks.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't received my replacement disc yet. I hope it comes soon. I cant wait for the other volumes in the series. Then I will have the entire show. Already have Vol. 1-26. Some people waste money in bars,,,,I collect videos.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gregory V,

Thanks for the info. That's awesome about what you own. Even though I've watched this show for a long time, and collected videos (and now DVDs) for many years, I've never been able to say I own the entire series. That's great that you own vols. 1-26 (DVD). I'm only about 30% of the way there (on DVD). It's really neat looking forward to getting them every other month. Sometimes, I want to by them up in bunches, but thus far I've resisted the temptation.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I think the first four (or so) DVD collections do contain edits. MPI claimed they were unaware of this and blamed it on the authoring house (or something).

What it boils down to is that in most cases, they were editing out many of the in-show "bloopers" that the series is famous for. Other edits were to cover master tape faults. Fans complained, particularly when the previous VHS releases weren't tampered with, and MPI made sure it wasn't going to happen again.

As far as I know, though, they never issued corrected, unucut versions of those sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think I read this as well, and that Dan Curtis was actually contacted about this--or perhaps it was one of the higher-ups within his circle. I wish I could remember where I read this--perhaps it was in one of the issues of ShadowGram, or on a Web site.

What would really be disappointing is if several years from now, MPI were to try to capitalize on this and then distribute the material from DVD Collections 1-4 unedited.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if they will eventually be selling these Beginning discs on retail sites like amazon, deepdiscount, etc., or will they only ever be available through the club? Thanks!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richie,

My best guess is that they will eventually be available via those outlets. I think being able to get them only via the Dark Shadows DVD Club is a nice perk for being a member, but that it will exist for the first year or so.

Does anyone here know how many members there are in the Dark Shadows DVD Club? I've never asked MPI, but I may out of curiosity.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Scott. Now I can't decide if I should join the club or wait to get retail & save a few bucks...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richie,

You're welcome. Well, I suppose it depends on what you want. In the DVD Club, there are certain perks. I like getting the boxes every other month (this profile can be changed if necessary, should you want to receive some of the available DVDs more quickly than that). With the boxed sets, you receive a black and white postcard of different cast members. Other times, I received a complete script for one of the episodes, and I've been told that games and puzzles are some of the other perks that await me down the road. One of the neatest perks is, I believe, getting one free boxed set per year (app. $60.00). So, if you divide that by five and deduct that amount from the five boxed sets you would be paying for annually, that would be roughly $48.00 per box. And you also get free shipping from MPI, although this may be possible with Amazon.com if enough merchandise is ordered.

Oh, I also got a free Barnabas bobblehead when I joined the club. But I gave that to my oldest daughter. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Over the weekend, I watched a lot of Dark Shadows. Some of it was just for pure enjoyment (e.g., Dark Shadows: The Beginning on DVD); however, I was also comparing some of the VHS released footage with the DVD released footage just for fun. To make a long story short, I went to tape 42 of the Collector's Series in order to watch the episode just prior to the unchaining of Barnabas and to watch the episode that includes this segment. I was looking specifically for the last two episodes on the tape (presumably nos. #209 and 210). I popped the tape in, and the first episode listed was #76! Is this because TPTB decided to number the production slates back at the beginning when either a new t.v. or calendar year (or some other defined beginning) had commenced? I never noticed this before. So in effect, I have more than one episode #76 (as well as other duplicate nos. as far as the production slates are concerned).

DrzSF

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Ziegler
Whenever there was a pre-emption, they would number a subsequent episode with two numbers, or they woulld skip a number so monday's would always be a 1 or a 6 in the numbering.

Also, when you added the 209, you were adding back in 3 of the twenty pre-emptions, which took place in the first nine months of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks