What's new

"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29 (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Man-Fai Wong said:
I don't know about others, but personally, I'm just glad to see this one coming soon on BD. I would probably be happy enough w/ just the theatrical version, and like you, I'd want both versions included (via seamless branching), not just the Director's Cut, if it does come w/ the DC. Also, would be great to have some good extras, including Ebert's commentary track.
Hopefully, they indeed won't end up just giving us the DC w/out the theatrical version...
_Man_
It'd be great if there was seamless branching.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
What I don't get is why so many people here are having geekgasms over it. Were all of you that unhappy with the theatrical cut that you NEED to see the film radically altered before you can really appreciate it? Even though this is one Warner title that will not have to be downgraded to fit within 30gbs, I don't get the impression that it's going to be the 'everything + the kitchen sink' kind of release that certain people kept promising (disingenuously) the format would deliver based on the virture of disc capacity alone.

Geekgasms? :eek:
  1. I tend to wait for all the details before going off half-cocked, no reason to be shedding tears and wringing your hands over big bad Blu-ray's "chest-puffing", "broken promises" and all. This hasn't been officially announced, nor are there any details as to the contents so it still might include the original version. If it turns out that it doesn't have it then yeah I'll be very disappointed.
  2. I don't "NEED" to see the film radically altered before I can "appreciate it" (was it "radically" altered? Have you seen it?). However I do prefer to judge films after seeing them (silly I know) so I've got an open mind going into the Redux version.
  3. I'm perfectly satisfied with the original version but I'm not satisfied with the DVD which looks like ass so getting this in 1080P on Blu-Ray calls for some "Geekgasms". If you're happy upconverting the old DVD to ahem...."near HD quality" :laugh: , then have at it.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Paul_Scott said:
Given this releases proximity to the release date of the next theatrical Batman movie, it makes sense they would try get some mileage out of an implied association. What I don't get is why so many people here are having geekgasms over it. Were all of you that unhappy with the theatrical cut that you NEED to see the film radically altered before you can really appreciate it? Even though this is one Warner title that will not have to be downgraded to fit within 30gbs, I don't get the impression that it's going to be the 'everything + the kitchen sink' kind of release that certain people kept promising (disingenuously) the format would deliver based on the virture of disc capacity alone. I would love to get Dark City on Blu-ray...but I'm just not going to be able to get excited by another director putting out another take it or leave it re-jiggering of something that wasn't broken to begin with. At least give us seamless branching...especially since this format has been puffing its chest from the very begining about how much more it would be able to do in a circumstance like this. Time for the money to be put where the mouth has been. Otherwise all I can look forward to is yet another rental, with a possible purchase ( if I feel the director's cut has value to me)somewhere farther down the line.
Huh?
I don't hear anybody around here having "geekgasms", as you put it? Who put a burr up your butt? I'm just extremely glad to see this film coming to BD. I don't give a piss if it's an all-inclusive, "everything" release or not. As far as I'm concerned it's a truly great, dare I say visionary, bit of sci-fi filmmaking. Please excuse our collective geekgasms.
Ron-P, thanks for including the promo. Looks great, and I don't think it gets any more official.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
There's always making your own custom HDDVD or Blu via a HD broadcast of the Theatrical Version if the BD doesn't have it. Don't see why it'd be a big deal making your own copies of HDDVD's(3x DVD's in alot of cases)/Blu's from High Definition broadcasts of films which aren't even on both formats yet. There's even a thread at AVS forum on how to do it. No, this obviously isn't even bootlegging since alot of these titles/versions of titles aren't even on High Definition disc formats which are broadcast. Too bad my HD on Demand provider is basically crap/shite regarding 2.35:1 material. They MAR it which pisses me off.
Anyhow. Can't wait to eventually buy this release! And hopefully it uses seamless branching for both cuts, carries over all the DVD extras, uses a high encode AVC or VC1 where it retains both the look of the film and the grain, has lossless audio and a ton of new extras. All in glorious 1080p on a BD-50 platter. One or two discs is up to them and I don't have a problem with that.:crazy:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
What I don't get is why so many people here are having geekgasms over it. Were all of you that unhappy with the theatrical cut that you NEED to see the film radically altered before you can really appreciate it?
No. But if a Director's Cut version makes it even better ... ;)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my previous comments were based on my understanding that
1) the film contains new effects work. the extent of this- whether they replace existing shots or are for addtional scenes, I don't know.
2) specific attention has been given to altering the pacing of the film.
3) I've also heard the entire score has been replaced.
For me, when you make those kinds of substanative alterations, it ceases to be the film I know and is now something else. Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast..
If this were an announcement of the theatrical AND directors cuts, I would be excited cause I already know I'm very fond of at least one of those presentations. The DC , otoh, is a completely unknown quantity that might strike me ( or you) as great or horrible or anywhere in between. It just seems odd to me that so many here and elsewhere don't seem to be at all discerning about this aspect. In fact I fully expect to be reading more posts about more people being hung up on whether the disc will have a lossless soundtrack, rather than worrying about how much of the original film experience itself might be 'lost' in this release.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Paul_Scott said:
It just seems odd to me that so many here and elsewhere don't seem to be at all discerning about this aspect.
I would venture it is because you are in the minority with this observation: "Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast."

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Paul_Scott said:
my previous comments were based on my understanding that
1) the film contains new effects work. the extent of this- whether they replace existing shots or are for addtional scenes, I don't know.
2) specific attention has been given to altering the pacing of the film.
3) I've also heard the entire score has been replaced.
For me, when you make those kinds of substanative alterations, it ceases to be the film I know and is now something else. Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast..
If this were an announcement of the theatrical AND directors cuts, I would be excited cause I already know I'm very fond of at least one of those presentations. The DC , otoh, is a completely unknown quantity that might strike me ( or you) as great or horrible or anywhere in between. It just seems odd to me that so many here and elsewhere don't seem to be at all discerning about this aspect. In fact I fully expect to be reading more posts about more people being hung up on whether the disc will have a lossless soundtrack, rather than worrying about how much of the original film experience itself might be 'lost' in this release.
Paul,
First off, my response to your earlier post was probably a bit edgy and over reactive. Too much coffee.
The kind of over indulgence that you refer to regarding director's cuts, I feel, represents a scant minority of such editions. The great offender in that regard, probably applies to situations where a studio is pulling a marketing stunt by repackaging a particular movie as a "DC", when the director has little if anything to do with the changes made.
There are many more examples where the current home video market has freed a filmmaker to release to the public his work as originally intended. More often than not, the filmmaker is better positioned to craft a project than is studio management, governed by studio politics or perceived demands of the marketplace during theatrical release. As many of us know, there are multitudes of reasons why a film gets tethered in, so far as scope of content, or the all too prevalent run-time issue. The number of directors who have full control over their work for the purpose of theatrical release, are miniscule at best.
And in the end, all of this chatter is meaningless, as NONE of us have a clue as to what's included in this particular release. My excitement is over having the title on BD, period. I paid scant attention to the wording of the announcement, and for the most part, I am unconcerned. The odds of this fine film being ruined by ill-advised meddling, are extremely small. And if the director had a controlling hand in the final product...well, then, it's his vision and his movie, whether or not it caters to your likes or mine. Either way, I'm onboard for this one.
P.S.: It just occurred to me. We're talking about movies again! Not who's winning the war. Not market penetration or price points. Yeee, ha!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast..
I've seen too many excellent Director/Extended Cuts (Aliens, LOTR trilogy, Brazil, T2, Kingdom of Heaven, Dances with Wolves, Almost Famous, Abyss, Leon, Blade Runner, JFK, etc, etc) to just dismiss this one without seeing it first. While I'm not a big proponent of revisionism I also don't subscribe to the "all revisionism is evil" theory.
Should it contain the original cut? Of course.
Does it contain the original cut? nobody knows for sure, yet.
If it doesn't include the original version what can I do or say to change it? nothing.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
By the way, I *think* I love the cover art--it seems quite evocative and striking--but what precisely am I looking at? I don't recall either the machine head or the spread-eagled figure from the film; have I just gone and embarassed myself by betraying how long it's been since I've watched the film?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Travis Brashear said:
I love the cover art--it seems quite evocative and striking--but what precisely am I looking at? I don't recall either the machine head or the spread-eagled figure from the film; have I just gone and embarassed myself by betraying how long it's been since I've watched the film?
I'm with you there, and I'm hoping it doesn't signal some large departure from the original content. That would be bad.
I'm hoping that some "insider" who has at least a few details about this cut of the film, and this Blu-ray presentation, will come forward, even if it's partial and unofficial. Anybody out there?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that sheet doesnt indicate anything about theatrical cut.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron-P said:
htf_imgcache_28814.jpeg
ron how did you come across that image

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
No specs yet so obviously no word on the original cut
The phrase Includes never-before-seen-version of the film implies that there is another version (presumably the original) also included.

This is excellent news. I'm hoping that this is region-free as it's a back catalog release. We're getting right royally shafted in Europe (i.e. Region B) with the return of region coding.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
andrew markworthy said:
implies that there is another version (presumably the original) also included.
I don't know that I'd read that much into it. If it said "Also includes" then maybe. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
I don't know that I'd read that much into it. If it said "Also includes" then maybe. :)
I agree. Honestly, I think anyone expecting to get both versions on this release is dreaming. If so, prepare to be disappointed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think you mis read bill's posting.
"Dark City is a GREAT little sci-fi flick, so this is pretty cool news in our book. You'll find the cover art for BOTH versions below."
both versions = blu-ray + sd dvd
the image of the blu ray only says director's cut on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks