What's new

Dark Blue, Wings of Desire, Nikita: SE (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
MGM Home Entertainment has announced a trio of new DVDs.

First up is the acclaimed drama Dark Blue. The disc arrives on June 24th with both anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) and fullscreen transfers, along with DD 5.1 and 2.0 Surround audio. Extras include an audio commentary with director Ron Shelton, "Internal Affairs" featurettes, a photo gallery, and more. Retail is $26.98.

Next up is a new special edition of Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita. The disc, due July 1, will come with an anamorphic transfer (2.35:1) English and French DD 5.1 audio tracks, "Revealed: The Making of La Femme Nikita" documentary, "The Sound of Nikita" featurette, "Programming Nikita" interactive map, stills and poster galleries, the original theatrical trailer, an more. Retail is $24.98.

And finally comes director Wim Wenders's Wings of Desire: Special Edition. The 1987 classic arrives on July 1 with an anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1) of the 128 min cut, German/English DD 5.1 audio, an audio commentary with Wenders and actor Peter Falk, the "Angels Among Us" documentary, deleted scenes with optional commentary by Wenders, an interactive map, and more. Retail is $24.98.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Awesome, I'll buy Dark Blue as it's my #1 favorite of the year so far, and will have to double dip on that La Femme Nikita as well, nice covers!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy

It was only by a minute and had no idea Patrick beat me to it.

Only one I would be interested in is La Femme Nikita

:D

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Very psyched that Wenders' Wings of Desire is finally making it to DVD--with a great-looking SE, no less.

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
Wings of Desire with deleted scenes and an audio commentary, no less. Looks like I can retire that pan-and-scan laserdisc I got from Columbia House once upon a time.

Is this the third time La Femme Nikita has been released on DVD (in only six years!), or just the second?

-bf-

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Figures. I order the R2 version of Wings of Desire a few days ago and it's finally announced for release over here. Oh well, now PAL speedup won't be an issue.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Third for Nikita--Polygram, MGM, and this. Hopefully they will have real subtitles, not dubtitles like the last one.

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Joel on this one, hopefully Nikita will have the corrected subtitles.

I have the first release, but if this is anamophic with those extras, then I'll be double dipping.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Third time in for La Femme Nikita, and worth it!

I've got the original issue with the correct subtitles but the bad transfer, the second issue with the good transfer and the incorrect "dubtitles", and now I'm psyched about this third one. I hope the French audio is 5.1 and they use the well-written subtitles rather than the badly-written dubtitles.

COULD THIS MEAN THAT THE IMPORT SPECIAL EDITION OF THE FIFTH ELEMENT MIGHT ALSO BE ON THE WAY?

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Wonderful news about WINGS OF DESIRE. Definitely a must have for the collection. And here's hoping that the third time's the charm for NIKITA.

BTW Ron - You'll definitely have to review WINGS. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the film.

-greg

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'll be picking up Dark Blue. Anybody who calls themselves a fan of film should at least rent it. It will go down as one of the most underlooked films of the year. Great film with incredible performances.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Do the R2 Anchor Bay & MGM DVDs of Wings of Desire have different ARs? As in 1.66:1 & 1.77:1 respectively? Anyone know for sure?

The AB DVD had a totally messed up 5.1 track and they released a fixed DVD just recently. I'm stuck with the old one, and it might be easier to just to buy the MGM than exchange it from the UK...

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread