What's new

Dany Heatley wastes his ferrari and nearly himself (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This sucks, We have lost way too many talented people this year who are too young to be leaving this world already :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's been reported that Heatley's BAC measured 0.02, well below the legal limit. I chalk this up to Heatley simply driving recklessly and lost control on a dark, windy road
Which proves that we not only need M.A.A.D., we also need M.A.S.D (Mothers Against Stupid Driving)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Looks like he's now going to be charged with 1st degree vehicular homocide (15 years in prison). Talk about going from the top to the bottom in a split second. From millionaire sports star driving his Ferrari to in the hospital, friend dead, criminal charges...

Most people don't develop proper common sense until they're in their late twenties (at least). I'm surprised I'm still alive after a lot of the stupid crap I pulled 10-15 years ago...

- JS

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Heatley needs a Judge's order to attend Snyder's funeral.
Yikes. If I were in his shoes, I don't know if I could do that. Mind you, I don't know if I could NOT go either.

Sad stuff.

I've already heard rumblings that there may be a plea-bargain, with Heatley pleading guilty to a lesser charge(s). Could just be rumour at this point, of course.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Shame that the ones who cause these stupid accidents always seem to be the sole survivors.

I certainly hope not. If he wasn't drunk, then all of his actions leading up to the final crash were made purposely, with a clear head. Such total moronic ineptitude resulting in the death of another person should not be rewarded with a slap on the wrist.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Such total moronic ineptitude resulting in the death of another person should not be rewarded with a slap on the wrist.
Oh I couldn't agree more Malcolm. But the sad truth is that Heatley can afford a good defense team, so he'll probably manage to get a reduced sentence of SOME sort, I would guess. I would imagine he'll still get jail-time, but I can't see him getting 15 years. Makes me angry just thinkin' about it...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Unless he has a history of this sort of thing, my bet is he will walk with a good amount of community service, and hefty restitution for Snyder's family. At best he gets six months. This was an accident, even if it was caused by extreme negligence. There are tens of thousands of similar incidents every year, they just don't happen to involve a celebrity.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
If he wasn't drunk, then all of his actions leading up to the final crash were made purposely, with a clear head. Such total moronic ineptitude resulting in the death of another person should not be rewarded with a slap on the wrist.
Are you suggesting if he were drunk it wouldn't have been moronic or deserving of severe punishment? People need to be responsible for their actions, period. I still don't understand why murderers get worse punishment than attempted murderers. They did the exact same crime, but one guy was better at it than the other, or luckier.

- Cryo

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
According to the radio reports, the judge will allow Heatley to travel to Canada for Snyder's funeral.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No, but at least in the case of operating under the influence you can make the argument for impaired judgement. But I think he's just as guilty in either situation and would like to see him get the maximum punishment under the law.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
But I think he's just as guilty in either situation and would like to see him get the maximum punishment under the law.
Why, because he's a celebrity? People being killed by others' negligence and poor judgement, whether on the road or otherwise is a daily occurence. Snyder isn't completely free of responsibility either, unless he was unconscious when they were driving around. The two of them made a poor decision, which resulted in the loss of life. It is extremely rare that an accident like this would result in the maximum penalty, so hoping that Heatly has the book thrown at him for his celebrity is being unfair, and if this did happen, if I were Heatley's attorney, I would be suing the state for discrimination.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Which proves that we not only need M.A.A.D., we also need M.A.S.D (Mothers Against Stupid Driving)
I know you were joking somewhat, but you make an interesting point here. Why is drunk driving vilified so much more than other forms of impaired driving? What about driving while tired, or while reading? Yet MADD continues to push their agenda to lower the legal BAC limit when most of the drunk driving incidents are caused by those whose BAC is already over the limit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty tough to legislate against stupidity.

BTW, please, let's stick to the topic at hand, and not go down the road re: drunk driving and MADD's agenda. It's not germane to this topic.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I don't recall saying anything about that, but let me re-read what I wrote....hmmm.....nope, no words there that would indicate such a leap in logic.

wally

Second Unit
Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams received 90 nights in the city work house and 1,000 hours of community service for killing a woman after running a red light in 1998. He was out celebrating his 24th birthday and was legally drunk. He pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter

After his 4 year probation, his record was expunged.

It’s good to be a “king”. :angry:

GARY C

Second Unit
I see articles in local papers every week of regular people charged with violent assault, killings and rape get off with only 18 months to 3 years in prison. People that are out there with nothing but the intent to injure others.

Where's the post crying out for blood for these people?

Heatly f'd up big time, I am not denying that... but some people wanting the maximum 15 years for what amounts to extremely bad judgment? Why waste two lives out of this tragedy?

I'm sure none of you (those who want the maximum sentence) never sped a little when you were younger... or tried to test the limits of you or your vehicle. And what, because nothing happened to you it's not the same?

Yes I do think Heatley screwed up! Now he needs to pay for it, but not for 15 years. You could do alot more making him serve an 18 (or so) month sentence then follow it up with 5 years of probation and sending him to visit schools, college's, etc. to talk to the students about the incident and reckless driving (as the make an example out of him by putting him away, will not last on kids minds for more than 5 seconds). Sending him to jail for 15 years will not accomplish anything, except to leave one less place in there for someone who should be in there.

All I have to say is remember this. Remember what you say here and see if you feel the same way if something similar happens to you or someone you know in the future (not that I'm wishing anything on anyone). It’s easy to want to send these stars away, as they seem get away with everything. Tho' in reality the whole system is screwed and there are a lot of regular people getting away with it also.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Heatley will get community service and heavily fined. Maybe a suspended sentence of a year or two with the threat of having to serve it if he fucks up again.

I think that would be appropriate if it is indeed his first major offense and was an accident, which by all means it appears to be. Also you can't ignore the fact that Snyder was not wearing a seatbelt.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I agree 15 years seems harsh. If he had killed someone else outside the car just walking down the street I would say nail him big time, but I think there is at least some responsibility on you to know who you're getting in the car with, and to put on your damn seatbelt.

- Cryo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks