What's new

Dany Heatley wastes his ferrari and nearly himself (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
and a teammate. it seemed like this kid was somewhat level headed. for those who dont know, dany heatley is a very promising young hockey player for the atlanta thrashers. anyway here is a link, and another to what is left of the "car". i am surprised anything was left of the people by the looks of it.

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang man I couldn't even tell that was Ferrari, maybe a Celica or something. Here's antoher photo of a vehicular tragedy:

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else surprised that these's that much damage considering they were only going 80mph?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else surprised that these's that much damage considering they were only going 80mph?
I know. Ferraris and Mustangs seem to have some penchant for splitting in half behind the driver in any sort of side-loaded collision.

Just goes to show- if you don't know the road (or your own limits), even the best handling car in the world won't help you.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm still suprised that people still watch any of these sports when they find out what they get paid.

It's hard to feel sorry for KIDS that get a taste of the good life and have done nothing to deserve it.

Sure, maybe I'm a little envious, but when a 22-23 year old has made more money in 2 years than I will in 50 years of work it bothers me. I work hard, sure I'm not lucky enough to be born with the skill for pro sports or the looks/talent for acting, but I work HARD and see none of the bonuses they do!

You can be a piece of crap ...(cough)Mike Tyson(cough) and make more money in a year than I will in my life.

These people that think they are invinsible because they are pro athletes often find out the hard way that they aren't!

Brent

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sure, maybe I'm a little envious, but when a 22-23 year old has made more money in 2 years than I will in 50 years of work it bothers me. I work hard, sure I'm not lucky enough to be born with the skill for pro sports or the looks/talent for acting, but I work HARD and see none of the bonuses they do!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
brent- you can only do what you've done- speak with your wallet. The rest- you might as well let it go.

I don't support the promotion of sports over academia that seems so prominent in this country, either. So, I don't go to/watch/purchase sports-related stuff (except occasional car racing). It's not for everyone.

Nice violin smiley, BTW.:)

Todd

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised. I've driven on Lenox road many many times, and I don't see how you could go 80 MPH on it. I guess now he proved that you can't.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I'm not surprised. I've driven on Lenox road many many times, and I don't see how you could go 80 MPH on it. I guess now he proved that you can't.
i guess he did prove that, but i dont think it explains all the damage to the car. thats the first thing i thought of when i saw it "THAT car was only going 80?"

CJ

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Brian ... are you a pro athelete??

Yep, great violin!!

and don't say that you've never said "these damn athetes make way too much money"

Brent

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
and don't say that you've never said "these damn athetes make way too much money"
I don't because if they weren't worth it, the owners wouldn't pay for them. Ricky Watters is a good case here. He wants 2 mill a year and nobody will take him up for that price. Therefore he isn't worth what he is asking.

However, Alex Rodriguez asks for 25 mill a year and gets it easily from Texas. He is probably the best if not the best shortshop ever and brings in alot of money to the Rangers. He is very worth much worth that to the Rangers and they are willing to pay that.

No I'm not a pro athlete but if someone is willing pay someone lots of dough for sports, let them have it.

Brian,
Is there a jealousy icon anywhere? ;)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have to agree with Brent on this one. Crazy salaries are ruining hockey and my hometeam of the Edmonton Oilers will probably not be here in a few more years the way things are going. Such a contrast to when the Oilers were winning cup after cup back in the 80s, because of their skill and a smart mananger, not because they had deep pockets and could afford to buy whoever.

Overpaid babies and their ruining pro sports.

As for the car accident, its too bad and I'm glad nobody died.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
brentl,

Let me tell you a little story my marketing teacher told me that might help when you try to figure out stuff like "Why do Althletes demand so much money" or "Why do movie/tv stars demand such a high salary"

He told us a story about a guy who did some marting work for a company. He went in for 4 hours and got paid over $40,000. When someone heard of this they asked him "How can you possibly ask for that much money? You only worked for 4 hours and asked to be paid $40 G's??? Why did they agree to pay you that much!?"

His answer was simple: "In the four hours I worked there, I saved them 4 million dollars" ;)

So to summarize, 2 million may seem like an awful lot to pay a sports figure, but when the company (i.e. the team) they play (work) for is making hundreds of millions of $$ off of their performance, how much is it to ask for a small percentage?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No I haven't.

I can understand people griping about what a player makes if he is viewed as overpaid in relation to other athletes of similar talent. Like, I might bitch and moan if Ray King is given a $15 million per year contract extension with the Braves, because I would feel they should of spent that kind of money on a better player, NOT because he would be making more $$$ than me.

I do not begrudge them at all for making that kind of money. How hard I may or may not have to work, to scrape by a living is irrelevant. Yes most of us common folk have to work our asses off for a great deal less, but the fact of the matter is, that most of us are, (whether we like to admit or not) are very easily replacable in our work field. The same can not be said of high paid superstar athletes, thus they can demand a shitload of money and I don't blame them at all for doing so.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Simply put he is making his bosses hundreds of millions as stated above. Would you rather all that go to the fatcats who have 10 Ferraris and garages the size of your house, or disperse some of that where the real talent is?

They get paid hat much because they're worth it. Maybe not to you, but then again are you a baseball fan?

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I don't have a problem with the Wayne Gretzkys or Mario Lemieuxs of this world getting the big bucks. They are making their team win. It's when an average player is also vastly paid that I'm having a problem. There should be only 2 or 3 players per team that should make lots of money, all the others are not that hard to replace. Why are they still getting big money?! An average player is definitely not worth 2-3 millions per year. And yet, there are tons of them in Hockey. I'm sure it's even worse in Baseball.

wally

Second Unit
So to summarize, 2 million may seem like an awful lot to pay a sports figure, but when the company (i.e. the team) they play (work) for is making hundreds of millions of $$ off of their performance, how much is it to ask for a small percentage?
And the owners come to the taxpayers claiming they are loosing money due to antiquated stadiums and to continue to compete they need the city/county/state to build them a new one with lots of high $ luxury boxes that only corporations can afford. The cost to the city/county/state if they resist this extortion is:

a) a noncompetitive/loosing team where attendance drops off starting the terminal downward spiral.
b) Loss of the team to some sport less city naive enough to give in to the shake down

So, professional sports teams (or large corporations for that matter) do not operate under the same economic rules that our households or mom and pop business do. Yes, I think that without something drastic, payrolls will ruin professional sports.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
5 people have died in the last week in Atlanta on the roads. None of which were driving Ferraris, but all being reckless. I wonder if they should get a pay cut too?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks