What's new

Danny Kaye on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
MattH. said:
Never thought I'd live to have a gorgeous home video copy to play whenever I wanted. I used to LIVE for those "Saturday Night at the Movies" replays every year.
I always knew that I would. I made lists of movies I would own since the mid-50's, absolutely certain I would own them, and White Christmas was on the list.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
WALTER MITTY looked great on the TCM Kaye festival the other night. I pulled out my old DVD and the TV broadcast bested it in every regard. I would LOVE to have those Goldwyn musicals on blu-ray. To my mind, they have never looked better than when WPIX Channel 11 out of New York used to show them on Sunday afternoons in the 1980's. It may be remembering something through a cloud of nostalgia that didn't really exist, but I remember them looking so sharp and colorful and better than they looked anywhere else. I never understood why. It's a long shot, but I've been surprised by some of the stuff released to blu-ray (THE MIKADO anyone?) so here's hoping!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched Hans Christian Andersen on blu-ray. As a film and as blu-ray I'd say it's only OK. The PQ for this is good in places but substandard in others. I guess I'd give it 3.5 stars out of a possible 5. Maybe about a C+? As a film, it has some good songs, but is not one of Kaye's best imho.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was shown on BBC2 HD last week and it looked fantastic. Hans Christian Anderson was shown today and I am looking forward to seeing it in the next few days, and Wonder Man is on Friday. The good thing about the Ben Stiller Mitty film (probably the only good thing!) is that Warners may release Danny's film on blu-ray this year. It is No 6 on my most wanted list and Wonder Man (Virginia Mayo as well and Vera Ellen) is also in my top 10.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
This is one is near the top of my BR wish list... D-does the king know about your being the real Ravenhurst?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In that case, guess maybe I should just bite the bullet and repurchase it on DVD. :mellow: Just rewatched it on Amazon Prime's streaming (w/ the family for their first time), and it looked rather too soft on that -- don't recall how the original DVD looked. Was thinking to screen it at an elder folks home where 1/2 of the population don't know much, if any, English -- and can't stream it there either...

_Man_

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I agree with Mr. Harris in that the Court Jester would look absolutely fantastic if done correctly. You can tell how bright and vivid those technicolor elements could look if restored and applied appropriately in HD. The dvd looks ok but it does leave one yearning for the best it could look. Here's hoping to seeing this restored properly one day.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Just take one look at the current Blu-ray of White Christmas and image that The Court Jester would look that good! They were both VistaVision titles.

We can all hope!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
And then there's the 1955 "We're No Angels", directed by Michael Curtiz and filmed in VistaVision. The current DVD was a miraculous anamorphic leap forward from any previous transfer, and like "The Court Jester", I look at that DVD and think how nice a Blu-Ray could be.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
ManW_TheUncool said:
In that case, guess maybe I should just bite the bullet and repurchase it on DVD. :mellow: Just rewatched it on Amazon Prime's streaming (w/ the family for their first time), and it looked rather too soft on that -- don't recall how the original DVD looked. Was thinking to screen it at an elder folks home where 1/2 of the population don't know much, if any, English -- and can't stream it there either...

_Man_
I don't have the DVD of "The Court Jester" anymore, but I remember it looking very crisp with gorgeous full colour, especially Glynis Johns who is quite the stunner in this film.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would really like to see Court Jester too, as well as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I wonder whether WHV recent interest in speeding up the classic titles coming to blu include the licensed Goldwyn library.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Good news! I finally broke down and purchased the DVD of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Per the usual cosmic laws, any time a HTF member buys a DVD, the Blu-ray seems to be announced shortly thereafter. ;)

JoeDoakes said:
I would really like to see Court Jester too, as well as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I wonder whether WHV recent interest in speeding up the classic titles coming to blu include the licensed Goldwyn library.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this was already covered, but I just purchased and watched "On The Riviara". It was part of my HMV is closing sale purchases. L

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Hi, I don't have any additional information re The Court Jester -- only the notes printed in the TCMFF program guide. Here is the link online: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/the-court-jester-2/

Ileana Douglas held a delightful and very funny interview with Fred Willard before the screening, discussing Danny Kaye and The Court Jester, but not about the restoration. The TCM person who spoke before them did thank Andrea Kalas, Paramount's head archivist, for helping with the restoration. I'm sure there's a fascinating story about the restoration that we haven't heard.

The restoration is a real eye-popper -- that $4 million budget is definitely up there on the screen, and seeing it on the huge screen at the TCL Chinese was a real treat. The jewel-toned costumes, the sets, matte paintings, etc. are really spectacular -- though not quite as spectacular as Black Narcissus, which I saw projected in nitrate last night. Nitrate Technicolor -- jaw-dropping.

To repeat -- I sure hope the restoration of The Court Jester makes it to Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks