What's new

Daniel Boone - Decent Quality? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I saw a listing for a five season pack of Daniel Boone for only $76 (about $15 a season). Looks like a pretty good deal and I remember enjoying some episodes as a kid. For those that have some of the these:

How is the video quality (I'm seeing a mix of reviews)?
How well do the stories hold up to viewing today?
Are the later seasons better, the same, or worse then the earlier episodes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Brad, I own all 6 seasons of the show. Here's my opinion on both A/V quality per season and how the seasons hold up today.

The first season is in b/w and was my favorite. It was a little more hard-edged in it's storytelling and felt more like a traditional western than a family show. Not that kids couldn't watch it, of course. But it was grittier. Unfortunately, the first season is the worst of the bunch A/V wise. It's not anything close to some of the Timeless or Alpha releases you might see from time to time. It's more than watchable. But it's not up to the level of something like RAWHIDE or GUNSMOKE in it's audio and video presentation. But the episodes are so good I couldn't imagine not owning the first season.

Seasons 2-6 are all color seasons and the A/V is very solid on all these. The stories actually become more and more "family-friendly" as the seasons move along, but they're still very enjoyable to me. Then again, I have two young teenage daughters and we don't watch modern trash so this is right up our alley.

I'd say don't hesitate to buy a 5 season set at that price. That's a great deal for a great show.

Gary "I wouldn't wait too long to buy these either because the original group that distributed these has changed hands or gone out of business - something like that - so if you are on the edge about the show I'd go ahead and buy them now" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Thanks, good to know. I have two younger daughter (2 and 6) so I'm always on the look out for shows we could all enjoy together. Based on what I saw on Amazon and briefly read on earlier threads, I had a suspicion these may be close to OOP. That may also have to do with the pricing. I was also hoping to get a more current positive response from someone who has had them for a while.

Edited: After a bit of waivering I broke down and bought it. At less then 60 cents an episode (hour) it is hard to beat if you have any interest in the material.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Want an even better deal than the one listed above on Daniel Boone: Seasons 1-5? Right now CBD.com has this bundle listed at only $49.99!! That is an insane discount! If anyone here hasn't bought these yet now is the time if you have any interest whatsoever in this great show. I don't believe you'll ever see a better price than that. And CBD is a very reputable company, if anyone wants to know. I've been ordering things from them, at least one item every other month, for over 25 years now and never once had a problem.

Gary "can't believe that price for seasons 1-5" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
That's where I got it for $76. Looks like they lowered their price some more.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yeah, it really is an unbeatable price for dvd sets that seem to be disappearing. Deep Discount doesn't carry anything other than the 6th Season set, and Amazon.com isn't much better. I'd say if anyone is interested at all in this series this is the time.

Gary "I just can't believe this bundle is going for such a discount!" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^The $49.95 price is because the Season 1-5 set is included in today's "Fabulous Friday" sale. It'll be back up to the "regular" price tomorrow.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Thanks, guys. This one wasn't high on my radar, but I always stopped to watch it for a while when it on the air in reruns. The color seasons are solid video-wise. That price is just too good to pass up, so I placed my order, at $49.99, an 80% savings!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Still showing up for the $49.99 price in spite being part of the "Fabulous Friday" sale titles... still time...

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have been watching season 1 and am very happy with the video and audio quality. I have all 6 seasons, and am looking forward to watching the series again.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This has been one of my wife's and daughters' favorite series. Mine too, of course. It's been one of the better series I've invested in as far as family viewing goes.

Gary "I still can't get over that price" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary, I first saw this deal posted at the superb DVD TALK Bargains thread, which has become daily reading for me of late. I was about to PM you about the sale, but remembered that you already had the sets. I only had Season 1, so I went ahead and got this incredible bargain and will try to sell off my extra set once it's been OOP for awhile (right now Season 1 is selling for very cheap on its own, besides this unbelievable deal). I agree with you that once this show is out of circulation that will be most likely be it. There was even doubt that the final season was going to be released, so it's fortunate that the series was completed. Now if you see any great deals on Season 6 let us know.

It also bears mentioning that while the first season does have only average PQ and sometimes even less than that, it does have an amazingly aggressive 5.1 redub on it, which actually works very well. However, the original mono is also included if you'd rather preserve the show as broadcast. Gary, are the other seasons also 5.1?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Point-Blank, all 6 seasons are in 5.1 and sound great. What you'll really notice though is that the visual quality will drastically improve with the 2nd season and stays great. The colors just jump through the TV screen with this series.

Gary "I'll definitely keep you in mind if I see a great deal on the final season set" O.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Gary for the information on the 5 Season Daniel Boone DVD set for $49.99. I went to the CBD website and ordered a set last night. It was the first time I believe that I had heard of CBD. 5 Complete Seasons of Daniel Boone for $49.99 no tax and free shipping is incredible. Thanks again and have a good evening!

Robert

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Glad to help, Robert. CBD is a great company that's been around for decades now and has never disappointed me. I feel confident that your experience with them will be a good one.

Gary "I do have to admit I liked the 1st season of the show, which was a bit edgier and more adult, than the other 5 seasons - but it's a great show all the way around no matter how you slice it" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary, just a public thanks to you for bringing this great deal to our attention. I was really on the fence about buying this since I've been spending probably more than I should on DVDs lately. But I think this is truly a case of "strike while the iron is hot." I think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that "Daniel Boone" very well may go out of print and, possibly, not be reissued, given the aging demographics of its original audience. And, indeed, if it is reissued, it won't be at $10 per season. So thanks, again! I can't quite return the favor and I know that you have this already, but here's a great deal on Shout! Factory's second release (Best of Ricky & Dave) of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet."

The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet Best Of Ricky & Dave DVD

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks Bob. I do have the Ozzie & Harriet set, but it's a great deal and I highly recommend it to any that haven't bought that one yet.

I know you'll be glad you bought this Daniel Boone set. It's a fantastic deal and I'm pretty sure these are about to go OOP, so waiting is a bad move. This is the deal for this series, no doubt about it.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks