1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd be shocked if anyone but Ingo got the boot tonight.

They have to boot someone off this week so they can let the others go train for next Monday's show, and then typically they boot off the lowest vote-getter the day after (Tuesday), and the cycle repeats until the finals.

It's weird that they have 4 couples in the finals this season, usually it's just 3 couples in the final competition show, followed by the the final results show (2 bloated hours) the next night.

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Patrick,Okay, thanks. So the teams that advance are beginning the next round at 0-0?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Pretty much, no cumulative scoring (unless it's some weird week where no one goes home, but 2 weeks of voting are used for the next boot-off).

Ockeghem likes this.
  4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Scott, yes, in the past, the final three compete for third, second and first place. But as Pat said, this season they are doing something new with four finalists. Maybe we learn more about that tonight. Regarding "So You Think You Can Dance", I've never seen that. I looked it up. It's like an American Idol competition with people who can dance already. I can see it has an appeal to a different audience type then Dancing with the Stars. Though I see there's people who can appreciate both!

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    DWTS and SYTYCD have a friendly vibe with each other. DWTS won't exactly say that a dancer/choreographer is/came from SYTYCD, but SYTYCD has no problem saying somebody is from DWTS.

Chelsie, Lindsay and Courtney are from SYTYCD. Tucci(who did the Kerli number) is from SYTYCD.

So DWTS has had numerous dancers from SYTYCD. And DWTS has promoted "National Dance Day", but nowhere near like SYTYCD does.

And Dmitry, Derek and Johnathon Roberts have all been choreographers on SYTYCD.

One of the best single dances ever on SYTYCD. And Mark has been on DWTS as well.

6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Well-Known Member

Josh Dial
    SYTYCD is in a totally different league than DWTS. One is a dance competition where you will see some of the finest dancing and choreography in the world, and the other has some B-list celebrities.

Seriously, SYTYCD is the best competition show--dance or otherwise--on television. It also starts tonight.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    It is the best...

By the way, Nig has lambasted people in their tryouts by saying...

"By now, you'd think the people here would realize that this isn't American Idol."

He has actually gotten up(showed it in the tryout rounds) and told the crowd..."If you are not as good as the people we have already turned away, please leave and don't waste our time."

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Well-Known Member

Josh Dial
    One thing I'll add: HTF has a pretty loyal (and knowledgeable!) group of SYTYCD-watchers. Though last season's thread wasn't very active for some reason (I admit I distracted from posting), previous years have had some very fine reviews of the routines, and discussion of the show and dance in general. Check out this season, and come on over to the SYTYCD thread!

9. Nelson Au

I guess one of the reasons I like DWTS is that, yes, B level stars are brought in and they go from nothing to actually pretty good dancers. Even though I know nothing about dancing or had any interest in it at all, I can appreciate the athletism involved. Of course there are those stars brought in for the controversy. Luckily they didn't do that this year. Good thing SYTYCD does not compete in the same time slots as DWTS does. If I can, I'll see if I can check out the try outs tonight.

10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Nelson,Well, our girls were certainly happy that Zendaya and Val made it to the finals. They're also quite fond of Ali, since they watched the Olympics faithfully not too long ago. That was one interesting 'tribal'-like dance on last night's episode.

Question: Has there ever been an episode in which the lowest-scoring team advanced as opposed to a team that scored higher?

11. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    "Question: Has there ever been an episode in which the lowest-scoring team advanced as opposed to a team that scored higher?"

Many times. More than once the No. 2 on the leader board went home. However I don't think the outright leader has ever gone home.

And to add to that, there have been numerous times the bottom couple on the leader board wasn't in the bottom 2(although that is "fuzzy" since they like to add..."not necessarily your bottom two"...).

12. Nelson Au

There you go Scott, schan answered the question better then I could!I avoided reading your post since the show had not aired yet here in California. There wasn't any surprises with the results. Except that maybe Miss Coleman was in jeopardy. Ali has been on a nice rise all season, same with Kellie and then Jacoby. That's why I was thinking Zandeya may not necessarily be a shoo-in to win, as good as she is.

13. Nelson Au

I was surprised to stumble across a news story this morning that DWTS has been renewed for another season, but at one show a week. I guess the ratings have been dipping a while now. IIRC, when it started it was once a week anyway, but the uber popularity expanded the show.What I'll be curious about is how they will do the elimination on the same night as the competition. Perhaps viewer votes are counted in the week between shows.I guess America has had enough of dancing stars. :). I caught a few minutes of SYTYCD. I've never watched American Idol except a few short bits here and there. It felt like that show with nicer judges, and more talented hopefuls.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

SYTYCD has solid dancers, and I enjoy it moreso than AI, it's a good show to discover the next "pro dancers" who'll show up on DwtS. :D

The other reason to get rid of the results show - ABC had a good pilot development season, and they wanted to grow the ABC brand a bit wider. So new shows are getting positioned in the Tuesday 9 pm slot. In the past, without decent programming in the barn, ABC would air a recap 1-hour show of the Monday performances before the results show. It was getting too watered down after 8 years of this show.

15. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Pairing back DWTS was a long time coming. Pretty sure the main juggernaut was Macy's pulling the plug on "Stars of Dance".Although some of those routines were spectacular. But seriously, how many more routines could they dig up?

16. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Schan,Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. :)Incidentally, my wife and children want either Zendaya or Ali to win, although my daughters are pulling slightly more for Zendaya.

17. Nelson Au

Agreed guys, ABC was OD'ing the airwaves with DWTS recaps just to fill vacant slots. Though it being super popular at the time was an advantage to ABC. Whoever made the call probably knew it might wear the audience down, but wanted to take advantage of its popularity. That's interesting, so SYTYCD sort or feeds DWTS and visa versa with pro dancers and choreographers. This Finals will be a tough one to predict. All 4 are strong and have fans. I'm leaning towards Kellie or Aly. But not counting out Jacoby or young Miss Coleman.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    SYTYCD is about dancing. DWTS is about playful banter, humorous innuendo, musical guests, and dancing. ;)

FWIW, Idol used to be much better than it's been the past few seasons.

19. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    By the way, I actually liked some of the 'non-team' musical numbers and artists / bands last night. I don't know much about The Wanted, but some of my kids knew them. One of my daughters turned to me and said that one of their band members (her favorite) was missing. She said that she had heard he was having some sort of surgery and couldn't be there. And I've heard Lavigne's work for many years.

20. Nelson Au

Avril Lavigne has been on once before a few years ago if I recall correctly.