What's new

Dances With Wolves....4-Disc Release w/ DTS and Both Versions....Region 0?? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I have seen on several sites and heard around that the Starmax (Korean) release of Dances with Wolves has the follwing specs:

DISC ONE
Part one of the extended Director's cut of the film
Audio commentary with director, producer and actor Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson
Audio commentary with director of photography Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis

DISC TWO
Part two of the extended Director's cut of the film
Audio commentary with director, producer and actor Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson
Audio commentary with director of photography Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis

DISC THREE
The Theatrical version of the film

DISC FOUR
"The Creation Of An Epic: Retrospective" documentary
"Making Of Dances With Wolves" featurette
Photo montage with introduction by Ben Glass
Original music video
B-Rolls footage 4 scenes:
- "Confederate march and music"
- "Burying the hatchet"
- "Getting the point"
- "Animatronic buffalo"
Neil Travis edit version rush
Academy campaign
Theatrical trailers
TV spots
Booklet
10 character postcards
English, Korean and Japanese Subtitles
2.35:1 anamorphic NTSC
English DTS 5.1
English Dolby Digital 5.1
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Limited 10,000 copies with individual serial numbers.

The audio options for the extended cut are DTS and DD 5.1, while its DD 5.1 and stereo for the Theatrical cut. Also, the whole set comes with two amaray cases inside a leather wallet, with an authentic feather tied on it.

Here is a link for info on the set:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/16402.html

I am wondering, is this set Region 0, or Region 3? I have heard both from several sources but am not sure which is correct. At the very least it is Region 3, but am wondering if it is Region 0??

Can anyone confirm, or does anyone have it? And if they do, what kind of quality is it as far as picture and sound?? Any comments are appreciated.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
That's an incredible looking set!!!

Provided that the presentation is outstanding, it is amazing to see what some of these other companies outside of region 1 come up with for packaging and content.

Mikko-Ville

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Korean 4-disc set. It's Region 0. The picture looks good on my 32" widescreen tv and the sound is definately great. Haven't had time to watch the extras yet.

Take a look at a nice picture of the package here.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna have to pick this one up I think. I have the Region 1 2-Disc Extended Edition that came out from MGM last year, but you just can't pass up both versions of the film, DTS on the extended cut, all the extras the R1 has, and the other items with the package. Plus the case is very well done and the whole set is limited. The cheapest I've seen it is $35 on a few sites.

Do you or anyone know where I could find this at the cheapest? But even for $35, thats a great deal for both versions of the film plus the extras and packaging. Why didn't MGM think of this for R1? They could have done the regualr 2-Disc extended cut, and then go with a gift set sort of deal like the 4-Disc set. That would have sold quite well I think, unless they are planning thsi for the futurem but I doubt it. Again, thanks for the confirmation on the Region 0 status....

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice the DTS audio is mentioned in the review as being at full 1536kbps bitrate?

Yowsers.

What bothers me though is the issue of subtitles. I don't want to be stuck with having to watch english subs all the way through just to get the Sioux translations.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
About the subs from one of the review links posted:

The main reason for most justifying the expense in purchasing this edition is surely the inclusion of an English DTS full bitrate (1509 kbps) soundtrack but you also have the option of choosing an English DD 5.1 track. The main problem when watching this film is that a large portion of the film needs English sub-titles for the passages where the Native Americans speak in their own language. This requires the need for English sub titles. There is an option on the disc for English sub-titles, however if you select this option the sub-titles are present through the entire film. Whilst watching the film my first choice was to keep turning the sub-titles on & off with the DVD players remote control, but as the film moves on there's so much of the dialog in the native American dialect that this became rather tedious, so I opted to leave the sub-titles permanently on. This did at times become a little distracting!

Runar_R

Second Unit
I have this set as well, and except for the subtitles-situation, it's one of my favorite purchases ever.
Here's another look at what you get:

I bought mine at koreandvd.com but I'm pretty sure they have it at yeasasia.com as well. (I think postage from koreandvds to the US is pretty steep....)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That set certainly is impressive! Unfortunately there's no way that I could put up with subtitles throughout the presentation on such a visually artistic film. BUMMER! It's always something...

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yea, the subtitle situation may be a problem, but I've seen this film several times and know many of the Sioux passages, so if I had to turn them on, it would only be a few times which is hardly a problem for me. I saw on some reviews that this was from the Japanese release of the DVD set which is similar to the Korean, but I guess this applies to the Korean release too. I'm suprised they didn't go with just burned in subtitles for the Sioux passages since the languages on the release are English. I wonder if this happens with other releases under similar situations. Otherwise, I think I may pick this set up. Its hard to pass up everything you could want in a set like this, and at $32 at some sites its a great deal.

Does anyone else who has it have any more comments about the set?

Runar_R

Second Unit
Well, it (the korean version) has only one commentary track on the theatrical version. Other releases (such as the scandinavian versions) has 2 tracks on both version of the film.

You might find this comparrison between different regions helpful.
Dances with wolves

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I suppose one could go without a second commentary on the theatrical version, since the extended version contains the second track with the cinematographer and editor. I can imgagine there thoughts on the film would not differ on the extended cut, but I would think the Costner/Wilson one would be different, since one version of the film is an hour longer. Either way.

On the releases from Denmark and Holland, they have the extended cut of the film along with two commentaries and DTS on one disc, and the theatrical version with the same features on another disc. How could they fit so much on one disc?

The subtitles for this release for the Sioux passages are player generated, since they are available in multiple languages as per the subtitle options.

What does everyone else think about this set? Anyone else thinking of picking it up?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
airmail of DWW set from Korean DVD is only $6.65;
EMS is about $15
they have recently adjusted their mailiing prices.

I beleive all discs from Korea are NTSC

Runar_R

Second Unit
I actually didn't know that the scandinavian versions had DTS on the theatrical before I checked now. I have no idea how they managed to cram that + an extra commentary track + 4 sets of subtitles in there. But I've read reviews of it, and nobody has complained about the PQ.
If you want it, remember it's PAL.........
Here's a pic:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
That looks like an impressive set as well, and the packaging is very nice. Why don't we ever see releases like this over here in the States? Are they afraid they wont sell as well as standard releases?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
??? Isn't region 0 normally the major red flag that says, "Hey, guys! This is a bootleg!" particularly for major, commercial titles?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes it wopuld be excpet when it comes from legitimate studios and retail sites, which the Region 0 release is. Its a Korean release from Starmax, and if you go to several sites such as:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...-w/version-all

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/16402.html

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11749

You can tell that it is obviously not a bootleg. It would be if you bought it from an auction site such as eBay, whther bootlegs are rampant and you have no way to really be sure what you are getting. But if it is a legitimate release from a known retailer then you know its safe.

There are a number of Region 0 DVDs that are better than the Region 1 counterparts(I have the Korean Region 0 release of Malena, which is superior to all other versions since it is a 2-disc set, has DTS, and is the only uncut version on DVD). Many Criterion releases are also Region 0, but you have to look around to find to see which are. Go to Link Removed and you can compare DVD titles and see which is the better deal. Look up Dances with Wolves there, and you will clearly see it is not a bootleg.

You just have to be careful what sites you go to when buying. So far I have not had any problems at all, but if you go to eBay, you can easily tell what is and isn't a bootleg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks