What's new

DVD Review Dallas: The Complete First Season (2012) Review (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
Possibly...but Judith and Harris know that Ann shot him. They just tried to send Bobby to prison for it, to take revenge on Ann. I actually hope it's more of a shocker than that...someone we would not have thought of or expected--possibly a cast member from the original show, that hasn't shown until now. I know that Val is supposed to make an appearance...maybe it's her for what J.R. originally did to her and her family (trying to split up and destroy her and Gary while taking Lucy from them)?? Can't wait to find out! :)
I watched the JR Masterpiece and it was very wll done. I actually had a tear come to my eye watching the episode, especially listening to the various Eulogies. The subplots are set up nicely for the remaining episodes in S2. The JR documents brought by JR's Private Investigator was well timed, especially with Bobby Ewing knowing who the killer is of JR. If i were a betting man the my guess would be somebody from JR's and the Ewing past did the deed. The problem is that there are so many possibilities as JR had many enemies. It could be Judith Light, but she does not have the history as other adversaries like Vaughan Leland or Carter McKay or Jeremy Wendell or Dusty Farlow or Valene Ewing or the Venezuela connection, etc. BTW: Mandy Winger did not age well and looks like she has put on the pounds as does the hick wife JR married in the late 1980s. Steve Kanally also has gained a lot of weight as well.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
I watched the JR Masterpiece and it was very wll done. I actually had a tear come to my eye watching the episode, especially listening to the various Eulogies. The subplots are set up nicely for the remaining episodes in S2. The JR documents brought by JR's Private Investigator was well timed, especially with Bobby Ewing knowing who the killer is of JR. If i were a betting man the my guess would be somebody from JR's and the Ewing past did the deed. The problem is that there are so many possibilities as JR had many enemies. It could be Judith Light, but she does not have the history as other adversaries like Vaughan Leland or Carter McKay or Jeremy Wendell or Dusty Farlow or Valene Ewing or the Venezuela connection, etc. BTW: Mandy Winger did not age well and looks like she has put on the pounds as does the hick wife JR married in the late 1980s. Steve Kanally also has gained a lot of weight as well.
Bobby might know who the killer is...as it sort of gave that impression. But, we don't know that for sure. We really have no idea what was in that letter J.R. left for Bobby. I agree that the killer will most likely be someone from the past--I just hope it's a huge shocker or someone unexpected! :) I'm still wondering about Val...as she is supposed to have an appearance. But, that is just me "throwing" that out there...who knows?? We will not find out until the season finale--when J.R.'s killer is supposed to be revealed. ;) Part of learning what happened to Pam was introduced tonight too...as I think in the next episode or two Christopher is supposed to learn what happened to his mother. I figure they'll have her dead, as has been for years, and that's why she never contacted him or Bobby all this time. :td: But, again that's just me "throwing" that out there. Who knows?? I too liked this "funeral" episode and it was very touching and heartfelt. I also had a tear or two listening to the eulogies--especially Sue Ellen's. :( The special opening theme, which I'd read about yesterday on ultimatedallas.com was also a nice touch. I agree that Mandy Winger did not age well...she still sort of had a beautiful face, but had definitely gained weight and her voice! :eek: She sounded like she's been smoking a few packs a day since the 80's. She sounded more like Judith Light's daughter...and they've been suckin' on the same "ciggy" for the past 25 years. :P Cally was okay...older but not "hard" or rough looking. Steve Kanally has been heavier than his original "Dallas" days for years...that was no surprise. He's still Ray though...I still like him, and hope maybe he can have a plotline involving him more in the future. :) I cannot wait to see the rest of J.R.'s masterpiece unfold, during the rest of this season! I love this show and although I will always love the original "Dallas", this new series really seems to go even more in-depth with plotlines and characterization. "Dallas" has been updated perfectly!! :tu:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
Bobby might know who the killer is...as it sort of gave that impression. But, we don't know that for sure. We really have no idea what was in that letter J.R. left for Bobby. I agree that the killer will most likely be someone from the past--I just hope it's a huge shocker or someone unexpected! :) I'm still wondering about Val...as she is supposed to have an appearance. But, that is just me "throwing" that out there...who knows?? We will not find out until the season finale--when J.R.'s killer is supposed to be revealed. ;) Part of learning what happened to Pam was introduced tonight too...as I think in the next episode or two Christopher is supposed to learn what happened to his mother. I figure they'll have her dead, as has been for years, and that's why she never contacted him or Bobby all this time. :td: But, again that's just me "throwing" that out there. Who knows?? I too liked this "funeral" episode and it was very touching and heartfelt. I also had a tear or two listening to the eulogies--especially Sue Ellen's. :( The special opening theme, which I'd read about yesterday on ultimatedallas.com was also a nice touch. I agree that Mandy Winger did not age well...she still sort of had a beautiful face, but had definitely gained weight and her voice! :eek: She sounded like she's been smoking a few packs a day since the 80's. She sounded more like Judith Light's daughter...and they've been suckin' on the same "ciggy" for the past 25 years. :P Cally was okay...older but not "hard" or rough looking. Steve Kanally has been heavier than his original "Dallas" days for years...that was no surprise. He's still Ray though...I still like him, and hope maybe he can have a plotline involving him more in the future. :) I cannot wait to see the rest of J.R.'s masterpiece unfold, during the rest of this season! I love this show and although I will always love the original "Dallas", this new series really seems to go even more in-depth with plotlines and characterization. "Dallas" has been updated perfectly!! :tu:
At the start i had hard time getting into the actor playing John Ross, but he has started to grow on me. John Ross has many of the characteristics of JR, i.e drinking, ladies and looking at ways to weasel into deals. It is sad that neither Valene nor Donna Carver or Sly were at the wake for JR. The wake was good, especially Mandy Winger being in attendance. Yes, her faces looks good, but the rest of her body did not age well. Cathy Podewell looks imho better than Mandy Winger. I am very surprised also that JR's sone James Beaumont was not brought back, but then again they may have wanted to just focus on the main cast members. The timing of Cliff entrance and what he said also fuels the plots for episodes. I am not sure what Cliff still wants unless it is southfork, because near the end of Dallas he was running what was left of Ewing Oil. I get the sneaky suspicion that Pam Rebecca Barnes has not interest in carrying on the Barnes/Ewing feud and look for her character to play a role as peace broker between barnes and ewing.
The next few weeks will be very interesting!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i liked the episode. hagman will be missed. i wonder if they will bring pam back i.e. Victoria principal. remember when jock died and Wes Parmalee i.e. steve forrest claimed to be jock.. i hope they don't do the same thing with j.r. ewing.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
At the start i had hard time getting into the actor playing John Ross, but he has started to grow on me. John Ross has many of the characteristics of JR, i.e drinking, ladies and looking at ways to weasel into deals. It is sad that neither Valene nor Donna Carver or Sly were at the wake for JR. The wake was good, especially Mandy Winger being in attendance. Yes, her faces looks good, but the rest of her body did not age well. Cathy Podewell looks imho better than Mandy Winger. I am very surprised also that JR's sone James Beaumont was not brought back, but then again they may have wanted to just focus on the main cast members. The timing of Cliff entrance and what he said also fuels the plots for episodes. I am not sure what Cliff still wants unless it is southfork, because near the end of Dallas he was running what was left of Ewing Oil. I get the sneaky suspicion that Pam Rebecca Barnes has not interest in carrying on the Barnes/Ewing feud and look for her character to play a role as peace broker between barnes and ewing.
The next few weeks will be very interesting!
I like John Ross...he's still "green" in many ways, but he's getting his father's ideals down pat pretty good. ;) I don't want him to be exactly like J.R.--but (as J.R. would say) definitely his son...from tip to tail. :cool: I think you're right...I think Pamela Rebecca will somehow be a peacemaker (of sorts for at least for a while) between the Ewing and Barnes feud. I think she and John Ross will "hook" up again somewhere down the line soon. I don't think Sasha Mitchell (who played James Beaumont) is acting much anymore. Originally Sly was supposed to be at J.R.'s funeral/wake...but the writers/producers eventually changed their mind and did not end up including her. Don't know what was up with that?? It would have been cool to have Donna show up...see Ray, and maybe they could get together again after all these years. But, I think he's still supposed to be married to Jenna Wade. :laugh: They have more in store for us with Cliff trying to take over/destroy the Ewings. He wants control of Ewing Engergies...just as he did Ewing Oil--and maybe Southfork too! Last night's episode opened the doors for that...and that he may hook up with Harris Ryland and his evil, incestuous :eek: mother too. (Talk about 'Norman' and 'Norma Bates'! :P ) Valene Ewing and Afton Cooper are also supposed to show up at some point. The show is really getting good...and I cannot wait to see what happens!! :tu:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
I like John Ross...he's still "green" in many ways, but he's getting his father's ideals down pat pretty good. ;) I don't want him to be exactly like J.R.--but (as J.R. would say) definitely his son...from tip to tail. :cool: I think you're right...I think Pamela Rebecca will somehow be a peacemaker (of sorts for at least for a while) between the Ewing and Barnes feud. I think she and John Ross will "hook" up again somewhere down the line soon. I don't think Sasha Mitchell (who played James Beaumont) is acting much anymore. Originally Sly was supposed to be at J.R.'s funeral/wake...but the writers/producers eventually changed their mind and did not end up including her. Don't know what was up with that?? It would have been cool to have Donna show up...see Ray, and maybe they could get together again after all these years. But, I think he's still supposed to be married to Jenna Wade. :laugh: They have more in store for us with Cliff trying to take over/destroy the Ewings. He wants control of Ewing Engergies...just as he did Ewing Oil--and maybe Southfork too! Last night's episode opened the doors for that...and that he may hook up with Harris Ryland and his evil, incestuous :eek: mother too. (Talk about 'Norman' and 'Norma Bates'! :P ) Valene Ewing and Afton Cooper are also supposed to show up at some point. The show is really getting good...and I cannot wait to see what happens!! :tu:
Sasha Mitchell has returned to acting, but he may not be a fit for Dallas. Dallas may be trying to keep the cost down on the show and may not want to go over board on the guest appearance. I do not think you will see Cathy Podewell or Deborah Shelton again as they were just brought in for the wake. The problem that you are faced with JR as Sue Ellen graphically pointed out by lifting up the phone book that half of Dallas wanted JR dead. The Ryland plot lines will be interesting as the daughter seems to be used as pawn and we all know the grandmother (Judith Light) is seeking revenge for what has happen to both her son and granddaughter. Judith Light to me is prime suspect in JR murder follow by Venezuela mobster (i.e. brother or family member seeking revenge). We could find out that there is more behind the Venezuela connection ties back to Dallas or to person like Carter McKay/Jeremy Wendell. The JR Masterpiece episode set up the show for remaining episodes with subplots, i.e. What happen to Pam? or Who killed JR? or What is John Ross to gain from JR's death? JR was sneaky so it would not be surprised that something is set up for John Ross/ Cliff wants Southfork and Ewing Energies. I think Cliff wants to rid Dallas of the Ewings once and for all. I do not believe that Pam Rebecca Barnes shares the same belief.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
Sasha Mitchell has returned to acting, but he may not be a fit for Dallas. Dallas may be trying to keep the cost down on the show and may not want to go over board on the guest appearance. I do not think you will not see Cathy Podewell or Deborah Shelton again as they were just brought in for the wake. The problem that you are faced with JR as Sue Ellen graphically pointed out by lifting up the phone book that half of Dallas wanted JR dead. The Ryland plot lines will be interesting as the daughter seems to be used as pawn and we all know the grandmother (Judith Light) is seeking revenge for what has happen to both her son and granddaughter. Judith Light to me is prime suspect in JR murder follow by Venezuela mobster (i.e. brother or family member seeking revenge). We could find out that there is more behind the Venezuela connection ties back to Dallas or to person like Carter McKay/Jeremy Wendell. The JR Masterpiece episode set up the show for remaining episodes with subplots, i.e. What happen to Pam? or Who killed JR? or What is John Ross to gain from JR's death? JR was sneaky so it would not be surprised that something is set up for John Ross/ Cliff wants Southfork and Ewing Energies. I think Cliff wants to rid Dallas of the Ewings once and for all. I do not believe that Pam Rebecca Barnes shares the same belief.
Deborah Shelton and Cathy Podewell were only brought in for that one episode (the funeral one). As far as I know they are not scheduled on being in any more episodes...at least this season. But, with J.R. now gone, I doubt we'd see more of them. Sasha Mitchell may be acting some somewhere...but I haven't heard anything about him for quite a while. I think he got remarried a couple years ago...and the pics I saw you would NOT have recognized him. He also has had a tumultuous life, with cops, drugs, charges of abuse and beatings by past girl friends/spouses, etc... Not exactly the sophosticated son of J.R. we remember. ;) I don't think not including other past cast (such as James Beaumont) has anything to do with the cost of production. I think it has more to do with not "overloading" the new series with the original show cast all the time. They want this new show to be more about the new characters...with some of the originals still around. Tons of people wanted J.R. dead, or would be happy to know he is. But, I really hope the killer is not someone that is a new character in the new show. In my opinion, this time it should be a past cast member (except for Cliff)--done in a shocking way that we're not expecting. Judith Light, or the Venezuelan bad guys do not have the "past" and ties to J.R., or the Ewings, that the original show cast would. It just wouldn't be "right", and would be a let down. However, Cliff is too obvious, so I seriously doubt he's the killer. Carter Mckay or Jeremy Wendell both would be interesting choices--in my opinion Wendell especially, as he was an arch enemy of the Ewings way before McKay ever showed up. But, to be honest, I envision a woman shooting J.R. Pam would have been perfect, but since that's not going to happen, I still wonder about Val?? We will find out in the next episode or two what did happen to Pam Ewing...and Christopher will learn what became of his mother. I figure they'll have her be deceased, and has been since original show. This could be why she never contacted Bobby or Christopher again. But, that's just my theory. We will find out who killed J.R. in the season finale...but the finale will also lead into several other plot twists (of which J.R. caused or set in motion before his death) that will lead us into another season. As of right now, ratings are much better and things are looking pretty good for at least a season 3. However, nothing is set in stone yet...and in tinsil town anything could happen. ;) The show could be cancelled :( or there could be another season or two. :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The only reason that i brought up the venezuela connection as there is ties to the original show as JR dealt with Venezuela in the past. The venezuela connection also feeds into the kidnapping and subsequent killing of Vicente Cano. There is a video out on youtube that does the pre-cursor for the episode 9 and mentions about Ewing's dealing with nasty people! Jeremy Wendell was adversary of JR, but the actor that plays him was William Smithers and he would close to 90 now. George Kennedy who played Carter McKay is also close to 90 and may not be fit either unless they bring in a subplot of family member seeking revenge.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
The only reason that i brought up the venezuela connection as there is ties to the original show as JR dealt with Venezuela in the past. The venezuela connection also feeds into the kidnapping and subsequent killing of Vicente Cano. There is a video out on youtube that does the pre-cursor for the episode 9 and mentions about Ewing's dealing with nasty people! Jeremy Wendell was adversary of JR, but the actor that plays him was William Smithers and he would close to 90 now. George Kennedy who played Carter McKay is also close to 90 and may not be fit either unless they bring in a subplot of family member seeking revenge.
I've seen and have all of the original "Dallas", as well as the prequel and both reunion TV movies. J.R. may have dealt with some Venezuelans in the past...but I don't really remember much about that?? The Venezuelans in this new series may very well show up again and be part of things J.R. had set in motion before he was killed. But, I don't know if they really would tie into his death/murder. Psychotic mob people, or psychotic angry old men (aka Cliff ;) ) are just too obvious...as is Judith Light. I really still hope it's someone we would not think of, and will be shocked by--perhaps by someone we've not seen yet, but do remember from before. To be honest before I posted my last message, above, I looked to see if William Smithers (Jeremy Wendell) and George Kennedy (Carter McKay) were still alive :laugh: . They both are...but as you said both are nearing 90...Smithers would be around 86 and Kennedy around 88. So, yeah, don't know if they'd be able to be in this new show or not? I still say it could be a woman...but we'll have to wait and find out! :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
I've seen and have all of the original "Dallas", as well as the prequel and both reunion TV movies. J.R. may have dealt with some Venezuelans in the past...but I don't really remember much about that?? The Venezuelans in this new series may very well show up again and be part of things J.R. had set in motion before he was killed. But, I don't know if they really would tie into his death/murder. Psychotic mob people, or psychotic angry old men (aka Cliff ;) ) are just too obvious...as is Judith Light. I really still hope it's someone we would not think of, and will be shocked by--perhaps by someone we've not seen yet, but do remember from before. To be honest before I posted my last message, above, I looked to see if William Smithers (Jeremy Wendell) and George Kennedy (Carter McKay) were still alive :laugh: . They both are...but as you said both are nearing 90...Smithers would be around 86 and Kennedy around 88. So, yeah, don't know if they'd be able to be in this new show or not? I still say it could be a woman...but we'll have to wait and find out! :)
younger1968 said:
It could very well be a woman as JR has had many women over his years on Dallas. However, i am more convince it is to do with oil, especially a bad deal. JR got involve with some real nasty people as part of his deal whether they were from venezuela or mexico or asia. The only reason i brought up the Venezuela connection is that it could be revenge killing on how Ewings back away from the deal, especially with the shootout. that killed Carlos.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
How many more episodes are there left? I know the count was 15 for the season. I have watched the show live but I think from now on it will be recorded broadcasts until the end of show. I was a huge fan of Dallas and own all of it including the last season of the new show. I think if i were writing the plot since Pam is included in this some how that Katherine Wentworth is the killer. I hope all who love the show get their third season. I just will not be one of the viewers. The fact is Serial Drama is hard to watch for me.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark Collins said:
How many more episodes are there left? I know the count was 15 for the season. I have watched the show live but I think from now on it will be recorded broadcasts until the end of show. I was a huge fan of Dallas and own all of it including the last season of the new show. I think if i were writing the plot since Pam is included in this some how that Katherine Wentworth is the killer. I hope all who love the show get their third season. I just will not be one of the viewers. The fact is Serial Drama is hard to watch for me.
Katherine could be a good candidate, but i think she had it in for Pam. I would not be surprised that Pam was killed by Katherine. JR's shooter the first time was a woman and i do not think they will go that angle this time. I think it is more apt to be family feud issues fueling the shooting, like Venezuela connection or Carter McKay or Jeremy Wendell, etc. The trailer that promotes next week episodes touches on bobby saying the family we are dealing with is very nasty!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just like the Katherine angle because Pam is involved. We saw her last saying she would turn herself in to the police but never did. She hated Pam Cliff Afton and shot Bobby. Morgan also did an interview with Dallas.com some months ago. I just have this crazy idea it is her. She has money and who knows perhaps a plot to bring down both the Ewings and the Barnes family which JR found out about. I will be buying the dvds of this season as I said before. I also wanted to comment on the writing on this show. I thought one of the best scenes written in the entire season perhaps the whole new show was when Bobby confronts Ann about not revealing her past to him for 7 years. Patrick did a great performace. He hit all the bases. The scene took that silly getting off for shooting someone plot off my mind. I will leave that there because of the forum rules. I still do not like jokes about shot guns on the show. I think i can say that. I have always felt this Dallas has a darker edge to it from the original. I do not say that is bad because I think it is part of tha age we live in now. Sorry guys John Ross will never be JR. The daughter of Ann and this new plot I would ditch. I thought it much more interesting the John Ross/ Pam Barnes thing I still think the children plot of Pam and Chris should be ditched and may still. The ultra sound was to be given to Christopher but never was. Enjoy the show guys like I did the original and I think you do.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark, There are so many spins you could take with the show as JR made lots of enemies over the 14+ years it was on air. Pam story line was left open in case she wanted to return and she has made it clear she is done with Dallas. So, Pam's death would also put fuel to fire about what JR was up to as stated in the final scene of the episode that JR was in abu dhabi tracking down a lead on Pam and maybe through that lead he uncovered was Pam's killer. Pam did not have many enemies other Katherine. Katherine came back when Pam was in the hospital, but has not been seen since. I watched some episodes with Katherine about wanted to break up Bobby/Pam with the help of JR. JR also made a key statement and to John Ross that you should not pay for my "past" sins, so it sets up the plot for someone from JR's past has come back and killed him. Sue Ellen has been set up with some venom in her blood, especially on taking over companies. The Ryland angle was to add a sub plot with Anne and Harris about the daughter. I am not sure it has much more staying power other then Judith Light being the crazy mother/grandmother and saying i do not have son anymore, because in my eyes he is dead. Judith Light could be involved with JR's killing, but that would too convenient and really does not fit in terms of the plot lines as JR had little to with Judith Light's character on the show. I still believe the killer is someone from JR's past oil dealings coming back to haunt him, it could be family member of Carter McKay or Jeremy Wendell or Vaughan Leland, etc.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
I do think J.R.'s killer will be someone from his past...I do not think it will be someone from this new show (aka Judith Light or the Venezuelans). They very well could end up being the killer/s...but I seriously doubt it. Again, they would be "let-downs". We need the "Dallas" style shocker...someone from his past that we're not expecting and/or have not seen on the new show yet. In all honesty we could guess on J.R.'s killer forever...there's so many characters from the original show, and possibly a character or two from this new show, that we really have no clue! ;) I do think the family will have to deal with the Rylands and and the Barnes with keeping hold of their new company, Ewing Energies. That I think is what Bobby's comment about the family we're dealing with is very nasty, is coming from. I think he's referring to the Rylands. As for J.R.'s killer...who knows?? This is the point...this is what we did 33 years ago when J.R. was first shot. We guess the "crap" out of everyone! :laugh: We really have no idea, and I like that. :cool: Let me throw another theory out there...what if the killer is...Ann?? :eek: She seriously disliked him for what he put Bobby and Christopher through, once he came back to live at Southfork. She's already tried to kill her ex for trying to destroy her and her family's life...what if she decided the same fate for J.R. because of the same reasons? Or, coming up with another bizarre shocker... what if J.R. himself had his "murder" set up---to help set in motion some other plan (part of his "masterpiece") to help John Ross and Sue Ellen take over? This latter theory is probably not the case...but what if? I realize everyone has their own opinions. But, I love BOTH "Dallas" shows! The original one will always be a "classic" and will always be a TV series icon! But, I also love this new show!! I would not want this new series to be exactly like the original...it has to be updated, be it's own show in a way, and include new characters. Otherwise it would not last! Of course odes and ties to the original show have to be included, as well as some past cast, but this new show has to be its own thing...and part of today's TV shows is being somewhat "darker" than older TV shows. However, I don't think this new "Dallas" is that dark or demented. If you want "dark" or "twisted"...try "Criminal Minds"! ;) I think there's enough of the original show's style to appeal to most original "Dallas" fans (as I am one too), as well as the new updated style to appeal to a younger audience. Personally I love both styles, and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us, for the rest of the season! :tu: I think there's a good chance we'll see a season 3...but time will tell. :)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I watched the funeral episode and was a bit moved by the performance by Josh Henderson. They made an interesting choice in having Bobby have a much more negative reaction - his character may slip a bit over the next few episodes. Given that this is effectively a new show, from new writers who are creating new characters, I strongly believe that the killer will be a character on the new show. It won't be a ghost from the past who we haven't seen on the new show. Some of those theories are interesting, but it would be extremely odd to suddenly wheel out William Smithers, who has never appeared on the TNT show and have him proclaim his guilt. I also doubt it's the Venezuelans, although that's a strong possibility, given that J.R. threatened the main bad guy at the end of Season One, and who knows what wheels that set in motion? I doubt that it's Judith Light's character. Maybe it could be Ryland, or a killer hired by Ryland. And I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's tied to Cliff Barnes. I doubt that it's Rebecca, although that's possible. J.R. did make a point of threatening her. And if J.R. is shown to have anything to do with Pamela's death, that would tie that whole package together. We'll see in a few episodes.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also, having read the interview with Cynthia Cidre and Michael Robin at the Dallas website, I realize that I was partially incorrect in an earlier post. I thought they had shot some material with J.R. for episode 7, but Cidre admits that they constructed his appearances completely from clips from earlier in the season and from the first season. So his last scenes shot were in the 6th episode. On the other hand, she also admitted that extensive ADR was used here, taking various quotes of his from the first and second seasons and stitching them together to make coherent scenes where J.R. appears to be talking and interacting with the current cast in the current moment.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kevin EK said:
I watched the funeral episode and was a bit moved by the performance by Josh Henderson.  They made an interesting choice in having Bobby have a much more negative reaction - his character may slip a bit over the next few episodes. Given that this is effectively a new show, from new writers who are creating new characters, I strongly believe that the killer will be a character on the new show.  It won't be a ghost from the past who we haven't seen on the new show.    Some of those theories are interesting, but it would be extremely odd to suddenly wheel out William Smithers, who has never appeared on the TNT show and have him proclaim his guilt.  I also doubt it's the Venezuelans, although that's a strong possibility, given that J.R. threatened the main bad guy at the end of Season One, and who knows what wheels that set in motion?  I doubt that it's Judith Light's character.  Maybe it could be Ryland, or a killer hired by Ryland.  And I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's tied to Cliff Barnes.  I doubt that it's Rebecca, although that's possible.  J.R. did make a point of threatening her.  And if J.R. is shown to have anything to do with Pamela's death, that would tie that whole package together.  We'll see in a few episodes.
The writers have many options they can explore with the killer as JR as many enemies over the years. The comment that JR makes on the phone that John Ross should not pay for his past sins also tells me the killer most likely is from JR's past. I brought up Jeremy Wendell as he had it in for Ewings, especially with dissolution of Ewing Oil. JR got some what revenge through his dealing/schemes with a key shareholder at Westar Oil. So, there is potential that Wendell could be used. The main adversaries to JR are the following: 1. Carter McKay and JR were at each other throats. Carter blame Bobby Ewing for issues with his son. Carter McKay's son could have came back and killed JR as part seeking revenge for Carter McKay 2. Vaughan Leland was screwed over by the oil leases and basically put into bankruptcies by the Ewings over the Asian leases. Vaughan has not been seen since the early episodes with Jock Ewing 3. Jenna Wade could be a suspects, but her rage was more towards Bobby then JR 4. Venezuelian connections is not far fetched as JR has been dealing with Venezuela for many years, especially when he pulled the tanker scam and/or sold oil to Cuba. There are deep issues with oil backing from Venezuela and access to Christopher's patent as such a family member could be involve to revenge If i were betting man then it would be old oil competitor that was at the end of bad deal with JR, especially one that wiped out him out. I do not see a woman this time as that would be too predictable and plot was done. The new shows is trying bridge gaps of the past with the new characters, but the past is only mention briefly at times. BTW: i have been watch S7 and few other season to get feel of different angles the show could take as part build up to JR's killer. I think this is also good planning on the writers, because i am sure die hard Dallas fans that own it on dvd are going back to past episodes to see if there is a pattern!!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
sue ellen hit the bottle again. i wonder how that is going to play out. i also wonder what was in the letter that J.R. sent her.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
sue ellen hit the bottle again. i wonder how that is going to play out. i also wonder what was in the letter that J.R. sent her.
Sue ellen read the letter at the wake and it was about JR asking to have dinner with her. I also believe more details around what JR was up to will be coming out over the remaining episodes up to the episode that JR's killer is revealed. 1) John Ross was given the gun 2) Christopher was told JR was working on a lead about his mother 3) Bobby Ewing was given the details of the suspected killer I also believe the PI will also have more information as per JR's request that has not been released. Nothing JR ever did is what it seem to be with him (Bobby quoted that in the episode)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks