What's new

DVD Review Dallas: The Complete First Season (2012) Review (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
LOL! :laugh: You have some awesome ideas, Ron! :) I also liked your earlier idea of what if Barbara Eden returned again (I assume as Lee Ann De Lavega) and she killed J.R. I think Pam suddenly returning would be an awesome shocker that no one would see coming! :tu: But, sadly I don't think that will happen. :( I also don't think Larry would have been crass enough (although J.R. would have been) to fake his death for publicity. :laugh: Sadly, J.R. is gone. But, although J.R. was always the main bad guy that everbody loved to hate throughout the original show, and a lot of the plotlines revolved around his chaos...the series was never all or just about him! Everyone was focused on and had a major part in "making" the show. If Bobby, Pam, Sue Ellen, Miss Ellie, etc...had left the original show around the same time, and then it only was about J.R., it would have been cancelled way earllier than when it was. It took the majority of them to make the show work. J.R. will be missed for sure...but I think John Ross can create a new "bad guy" that we all love to hate in his own way, and everyone still has a chance to shine! I don't know if there will be a season 3 or not...but I definitely think TNT will air the rest of season 2--and I can't wait!! :D
Yes, Dallas had plots with the other character, but they were small and in many cases led back to JR. JR whether he was backroom dealing and/or trying get rid of Valene and/or Pam was key to Dallas. Bobby was the good guy, but he did his share backroom deals as well. The problem is the actors playing John Ross and Christopher do not have staying power, because the role they play are adversary. You have to a jerk like attitude or be able put on a jerk like attitude. I just do not see jerk type of characteristics with John Ross's actor. The new series is trying to build the characters into something they are not suited for with there skill sets. The new dallas is trying hard to build an audience through old and new actors. However, i am little concern with what direction the show will take as part its development. The scripts/writing was done before the Larry Hagman died and will need to be re-work. I would suspect there will be some flash backs with JR and its son.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HunterMan said:
LOL! :laugh: You have some awesome ideas, Ron! :) I also liked your earlier idea of what if Barbara Eden returned again (I assume as Lee Ann De Lavega) and she killed J.R. I think Pam suddenly returning would be an awesome shocker that no one would see coming! :tu: But, sadly I don't think that will happen. :( I also don't think Larry would have been crass enough (although J.R. would have been) to fake his death for publicity. :laugh: Sadly, J.R. is gone. But, although J.R. was always the main bad guy that everbody loved to hate throughout the original show, and a lot of the plotlines revolved around his chaos...the series was never all or just about him! Everyone was focused on and had a major part in "making" the show. If Bobby, Pam, Sue Ellen, Miss Ellie, etc...had left the original show around the same time, and then it only was about J.R., it would have been cancelled way earllier than when it was. It took the majority of them to make the show work. J.R. will be missed for sure...but I think John Ross can create a new "bad guy" that we all love to hate in his own way, and everyone still has a chance to shine! I don't know if there will be a season 3 or not...but I definitely think TNT will air the rest of season 2--and I can't wait!! :D
They should hire me on as a writer! :D You're correct on the fact if any one of the main actors had left it never would have been the same. I well remember Miss Ellie being replaced by Donna Reed and it wasn't the same that whole time. Not to take anything away from Ms. Reed, but she was no Barbara Bel Geddes. I wasn't even 10 years old when J.R. was shot but I waited anxiously to find out and I tuned in and even ran outside to tell my parents Dallas was on. Yeah, I've been a fan for a long time. :cool: I highly doubt Barbara Eden would be the murderer but I could see Victoria Principal IF she was willing to come back, get some kind of a sweetheart deal to come back. That could throw a whole story line for trouble in Bobby's marriage if she came back. I don't remember every nuance of the old series, but wouldn't Bobby and Pam still be legally married if she were alive?

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
Yes, Dallas had plots with the other character, but they were small and in many cases led back to JR. JR whether he was backroom dealing and/or trying get rid of Valene and/or Pam was key to Dallas. Bobby was the good guy, but he did his share backroom deals as well. The problem is the actors playing John Ross and Christopher do not have staying power, because the role they play are adversary. You have to a jerk like attitude or be able put on a jerk like attitude. I just do not see jerk type of characteristics with John Ross's actor. The new series is trying to build the characters into something they are not suited for with there skill sets. The new dallas is trying hard to build an audience through old and new actors. However, i am little concern with what direction the show will take as part its development. The scripts/writing was done before the Larry Hagman died and will need to be re-work. I would suspect there will be some flash backs with JR and its son.
I'm sorry but I disagree...I think the new actors do have staying power. I think John Ross can maybe even be more of a "jerk" than his dad, in some ways. ;) All the characters are suited for exactly what they're doing, and have mutiple skill talents! I do agree that "Dallas" is trying to build an audience with both the older characters and the new...but that's what they need and should do! If they had tired to just have the younger actors, without the originals, this show would not have lasted the 10 episodes it did last season! It takes both sets to make this show work. ;)
Ron1973 said:
They should hire me on as a writer! :D You're correct on the fact if any one of the main actors had left it never would have been the same. I well remember Miss Ellie being replaced by Donna Reed and it wasn't the same that whole time. Not to take anything away from Ms. Reed, but she was no Barbara Bel Geddes. I wasn't even 10 years old when J.R. was shot but I waited anxiously to find out and I tuned in and even ran outside to tell my parents Dallas was on. Yeah, I've been a fan for a long time. :cool: I highly doubt Barbara Eden would be the murderer but I could see Victoria Principal IF she was willing to come back, get some kind of a sweetheart deal to come back. That could throw a whole story line for trouble in Bobby's marriage if she came back. I don't remember every nuance of the old series, but wouldn't Bobby and Pam still be legally married if she were alive?
LOL!! They should definitely hire me on as a writer too...I could create all kinds of "wild", shocking storylines! :laugh: I definitely could see Pam being J.R.'s killer if they actually were able to get her to agree to come on the show...but I don't think that'll happen. :( I wasn't even 10 years old when J.R. was shot either! I also wasn't even allowed to watch the show at that time, as my parents felt I was too young and it was an adult show. But, I'll never forget everyone talking about it--and everyone from my grandma to my great aunts were madly trying to figure out who did it, LOL! :laugh: Of course I've since seen every episode of the original "Dallas", and the "Who Shot J.R.?" ones are some of my favorites. :) As for Pam and Bobby still being legally married...I don't think so. If I remember right in Pam's last episode (which was the look-alike and not even Victoria) she asked Bobby to let her go and I think divorce papers were either mentioned or presented to him. Anytime one of the cast members left the original show it was never the same. Yes, when Miss Ellie was suddenly played by Donna Reed (who was a superb actress and person) fans did not care for it and ratings dropped. When Barbara Bel Geddes returned ratings went back up. When Patrick Duffy left the show, and was supposedly killed off, ratings took a real nose dive! Larry called him and begged/talked him into coming back. It was Duffy's wife at the time that actually came up with the idea of the previous season being just Pam's dream...and that he was still alive and was never killed! Once Bobby was back...ratings went back up. Everyone had an important part that made the show work. I feel this new show is the same. Everyone of course will miss J.R. once he's gone...but there are still many directions to take, John Ross can really begin becoming like his father, other problems that J.R. created can still pop up, and because of that (as the cast has already stated) J.R.'s legacy will live on in each episode--even after the funeral! If some people really don't like this new show...okay that's their opinion. But, why come here and continually state that?? :rolleyes: Let's try supporting it, and giving it a chance! I saw a ton of advertizements tonight on TNT...so hopefully they'll really start getting the word out now. They looked superb, and I can't wait!! :tu:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan, The good thing about blogging is we can have different opinions. I do not believe that either John Ross and Christopher actors have the skills and/or longevity as Patrick Duffy and/or Larry Hagman did with Dallas. Let's not lose focus that Dallas 2012 is trying to bridge the old and new with the series to see if there will be following. Dallas from S2 to S9 as it was consistently in the top 10. It was season 10 to 14 the ratings started to slide as new actors were introduced, i.e. Sascha Mitchell or Dack Rambo or Sheree Wilson, etc and the plots moved different directly, especially with Westar. Like any show Dallas was always trying to keep its audience, but the show struggle in its later year to keep the audience. The new Dallas 2012 started well with the ratings, but looks on the decline: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/29/dallas-renewed-for-second-season-by-tnt/140046/ When Dallas came out there were nearly 7M watching the show, but it appears those numbers are now half. Now that Larry Hagman has passed on then how will this show increases the ratings? They would need to add some new twists and turns via bringing someone back. I am not sure Gary and Valene would be the answer as they were minor characters. Ray Krebbs was also minor character and has limited value. The key would be Victoria Principal, but neither the show and/or her expressed any interest in bringing back Pam. So, where does that leave the show? Well, it looks like lines are being drawn on Pam Barnes and John Ross, but i am not sure Pam Barnes character is strong enough to take a bigger role. There could be few options to help the ratings: 1. Bring back Jenna Wade as way to cause some issues with Bobby, i.e. his son. Jenna's son could come back looking for his piece of the Ewing fortune. 2. Bakkan Oil and Gas Fracking continues to grow, so you could build some story lines around that area, i.e. Oil Cartel and/or conflict with Westar. Bobby has eluded the company needs to be vertical integrated and expanding on their oil is key part of their business plan. 3. Bring back James Beaumont through his mother on trying to take over the Ewing business. I guess we will have to wait and see on what will happen.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HunterMan said:
I'm sorry but I disagree...I think the new actors do have staying power. I think John Ross can maybe even be more of a "jerk" than his dad, in some ways. ;) All the characters are suited for exactly what they're doing, and have mutiple skill talents! I do agree that "Dallas" is trying to build an audience with both the older characters and the new...but that's what they need and should do! If they had tired to just have the younger actors, without the originals, this show would not have lasted the 10 episodes it did last season! It takes both sets to make this show work. ;) LOL!! They should definitely hire me on as a writer too...I could create all kinds of "wild", shocking storylines! :laugh: I definitely could see Pam being J.R.'s killer if they actually were able to get her to agree to come on the show...but I don't think that'll happen. :( I wasn't even 10 years old when J.R. was shot either! I also wasn't even allowed to watch the show at that time, as my parents felt I was too young and it was an adult show. But, I'll never forget everyone talking about it--and everyone from my grandma to my great aunts were madly trying to figure out who did it, LOL! :laugh: Of course I've since seen every episode of the original "Dallas", and the "Who Shot J.R.?" ones are some of my favorites. :) As for Pam and Bobby still being legally married...I don't think so. If I remember right in Pam's last episode (which was the look-alike and not even Victoria) she asked Bobby to let her go and I think divorce papers were either mentioned or presented to him. Anytime one of the cast members left the original show it was never the same. Yes, when Miss Ellie was suddenly played by Donna Reed (who was a superb actress and person) fans did not care for it and ratings dropped. When Barbara Bel Geddes returned ratings went back up. When Patrick Duffy left the show, and was supposedly killed off, ratings took a real nose dive! Larry called him and begged/talked him into coming back. It was Duffy's wife at the time that actually came up with the idea of the previous season being just Pam's dream...and that he was still alive and was never killed! Once Bobby was back...ratings went back up. Everyone had an important part that made the show work. I feel this new show is the same. Everyone of course will miss J.R. once he's gone...but there are still many directions to take, John Ross can really begin becoming like his father, other problems that J.R. created can still pop up, and because of that (as the cast has already stated) J.R.'s legacy will live on in each episode--even after the funeral! If some people really don't like this new show...okay that's their opinion. But, why come here and continually state that?? :rolleyes: Let's try supporting it, and giving it a chance! I saw a ton of advertizements tonight on TNT...so hopefully they'll really start getting the word out now. They looked superb, and I can't wait!! :tu:
For some reason my parents trusted me enough to let me watch Dallas! :rolleyes: :D I remember Bobby dying and even thinking "how could they?" Some months later one of my parents was reading an article somewhere and informed me that negotiations were under way to get Patrick Duffy to come back. We discussed how in the world it would ever work considering the whole world saw him die. Was he going to play a long lost cousin? Were they just going to ignore the fact he died? How?!?!?! I'll never forget Pam and her "I had the most horrible dream!" :jawdrop: I, too, like the character of John Ross and I feel like he has the opportunity to be a good villain. Maybe not another J.R. obviously but he will be good if given the opportunity. If Dallas should fail, I hope that we aren't given another "we'll revisit this a few years down the road" cliffhanger like the original series ended on. Not to say that episode wasn't interesting but there wasn't closure.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
News Flash for Dallas 2013. The Six Million Dollar Man actor Lee Majors has signed up to appear in two episodes Dallas TNT second season as Ken Richards, reports Entertainment Weekly Does this mean they are still filming. I think all of us here love the old and of course Larry Hagman. I am certainly here not to bash the show. Heck as I said I will even buy season 2 dvds. I just remember that the producers stated they would not do an updated Dallas if Larry did not sign. Now he is gone. I also remember at the start the producers said they had no interest in the Barnes Ewing feud hence no Pam or Cliff. Well they changed their minds on that. The who killed Jr was another change. I am just hoping that perhaps WHV reads HTF. Victoria i remember Patrick stateing just before Larry's death was quite nervous about acting again. He said he spoke to Victoria on the phone. Dallas.com ran a vote and Pam was number 1 as to which characters the audience wanted back on the show. I do not think it will happen unless lots of money can do the trick to get her. The show for me airs at a bad time of year. Last summer was ok but even then it was tough to set aside 1 hour each week. Hey I find the same with Boardwalk Empire. The only show that works for me is Downton Abbey. I watched every year of Dallas when it was on but toward the last just recorded it. The way the producers change their mind makes me think they could employ some of the ideas mentioned here. Shoot new scenes or do some major edits. I suggested the movie as way to focus on JR. I forget who said it here but they are right. You remove the central actor in the show what is left. We have 4 episodes to ep 6 when the funeral comes. I also just read that some how Pams fate is learned in that episode. I know that has been mentioned here before. The line that Chris wants his Secretary to strike a friendship with John Ross Secretary to learn things is right out of the old show. I say enjoy the new show. The other is the storys on oil are not as strong a plot as in the 80s gas lines etc. Last night I put on the old one and it still has charm.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark Collins said:
News Flash for Dallas 2013. The Six Million Dollar Man actor Lee Majors has signed up to appear in two episodes Dallas TNT second season as Ken Richards, reports Entertainment Weekly Does this mean they are still filming. I think all of us here love the old and of course Larry Hagman. I am certainly here not to bash the show. Heck as I said I will even buy season 2 dvds. I just remember that the producers stated they would not do an updated Dallas if Larry did not sign. Now he is gone. I also remember at the start the producers said they had no interest in the Barnes Ewing feud hence no Pam or Cliff. Well they changed their minds on that. The who killed Jr was another change. I am just hoping that perhaps WHV reads HTF. Victoria i remember Patrick stateing just before Larry's death was quite nervous about acting again. He said he spoke to Victoria on the phone. Dallas.com ran a vote and Pam was number 1 as to which characters the audience wanted back on the show. I do not think it will happen unless lots of money can do the trick to get her. The show for me airs at a bad time of year. Last summer was ok but even then it was tough to set aside 1 hour each week. Hey I find the same with Boardwalk Empire. The only show that works for me is Downton Abbey. I watched every year of Dallas when it was on but toward the last just recorded it. The way the producers change their mind makes me think they could employ some of the ideas mentioned here. Shoot new scenes or do some major edits. I suggested the movie as way to focus on JR. I forget who said it here but they are right. You remove the central actor in the show what is left. We have 4 episodes to ep 6 when the funeral comes. I also just read that some how Pams fate is learned in that episode. I know that has been mentioned here before. The line that Chris wants his Secretary to strike a friendship with John Ross Secretary to learn things is right out of the old show. I say enjoy the new show. The other is the storys on oil are not as strong a plot as in the 80s gas lines etc. Last night I put on the old one and it still has charm.
Hi Mark, It is interesting to twist about Lee Majors. I have six million dollar man on dvd just because i am Lee Majors fan. I just wish they would release the rest of the Fall Guy as he was good in that series. Here is a link to http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article/Lee-Majors-to-Guest-Star-on-TNTs-DALLAS-20130201 I have too been watching the old series as well. I have started watch S1/S2 as way to look at Victoria Principal. Victoria was striking, especially early on as her beauty was very radiant. I also like the premise about oil as that is what the Ewings were about in regards to business. Yes cattle ranching was also important, but took a lesser role as compare to oil. The new series is looking at alternative energy sector, which is a great area and continues to grow. The oil sector is still important to its roots as Bobby Ewing has mention oil in episode in S2 about Ewing being a vertical integrated company.. John Ross is focus on oil and that is were there is a good rivalry as Christopher wants to focus on alternative energy. In the original series the change in focus of Ewing Oil was also Bobby's approach. I think i remember in few episodes with bobby focusing on solar, construction, etc. I also find interesting is how big Cliff Barnes company has become, especially the lack of focus on oil. Pam Barnes has said she like the company to look at alternative energy and there appears to be conflict between Cliff's right hand man and Pam about the direction of the company. The direction of Cliff Barnes company should be something worth watching as Pam makes a play for Christopher's technology.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Paul well said! Here is the links for the PBS series looking at the prime time soaps and you can buy it. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/pioneers-of-television/pioneering-programs/primetime-soaps/ http://www.amazon.com/Pioneers-Television-Season-Kelsey-Grammer/dp/B00AK51O96/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359839661&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneers+of+television+season+3

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
younger1968 said:
HunterMan, The good thing about blogging is we can have different opinions. I do not believe that either John Ross and Christopher actors have the skills and/or longevity as Patrick Duffy and/or Larry Hagman did with Dallas. Let's not lose focus that Dallas 2012 is trying to bridge the old and new with the series to see if there will be following. Dallas from S2 to S9 as it was consistently in the top 10. It was season 10 to 14 the ratings started to slide as new actors were introduced, i.e. Sascha Mitchell or Dack Rambo or Sheree Wilson, etc and the plots moved different directly, especially with Westar. Like any show Dallas was always trying to keep its audience, but the show struggle in its later year to keep the audience. The new Dallas 2012 started well with the ratings, but looks on the decline: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/29/dallas-renewed-for-second-season-by-tnt/140046/ When Dallas came out there were nearly 7M watching the show, but it appears those numbers are now half. Now that Larry Hagman has passed on then how will this show increases the ratings? They would need to add some new twists and turns via bringing someone back. I am not sure Gary and Valene would be the answer as they were minor characters. Ray Krebbs was also minor character and has limited value. The key would be Victoria Principal, but neither the show and/or her expressed any interest in bringing back Pam. So, where does that leave the show? Well, it looks like lines are being drawn on Pam Barnes and John Ross, but i am not sure Pam Barnes character is strong enough to take a bigger role. There could be few options to help the ratings: 1. Bring back Jenna Wade as way to cause some issues with Bobby, i.e. his son. Jenna's son could come back looking for his piece of the Ewing fortune. 2. Bakkan Oil and Gas Fracking continues to grow, so you could build some story lines around that area, i.e. Oil Cartel and/or conflict with Westar. Bobby has eluded the company needs to be vertical integrated and expanding on their oil is key part of their business plan. 3. Bring back James Beaumont through his mother on trying to take over the Ewing business. I guess we will have to wait and see on what will happen.
I don't think the new "Dallas" will have fourteen seasons like the original series...but I do think there is some longevity with John Ross and Christopher. They will not be exactly like their fathers...but I wouldn't want them to be. I want them to create their own characters. J.R. and Bobby will always be iconic when it comes to "Dallas"...but I think that John Ross and Christopher can help carry the show. No one's losing any kind of "focus" that they are trying to bridge the gap from the original show to the new one...everyone's said that from the beginning. I think they've "updated" the show perfectly. There could be several reasons why the ratings for the season 2 premiere were not as good as the first season. We've barely just started season 2, so let's wait till the season's over before totally declaring any kind of judgement. Any show that lasts more than 7 or 8 seasons will eventually start to find it very difficult to stay in the top 10 most popular shows. This is what happened with the original show. I love the first seven seasons...and 8 and 9 were good too. But, starting with 10, where Pam is in the explosion, it started to lose its "momentum". I've seen it all, and like it all, but the first 7 seven seasons are the best. Eventually they added way too many characters, others left, and ratings began to fall. With Larry Hagman's passing, it may be more difficult to keep high ratings...but there are tons of plot twists and shockers they could do (even without J.R.) with the characters they already have. As for constantly bringing back past characters from the original show to keep high ratings...some maybe. But, I don't want the show to eventually just be a "flashback" revolving door. I want to see and learn more about the younger cast (John Ross, Christopher, Elena, and Pamela Rebecca)...as well as what Bobby, Ann, and Sue Ellen are doing. Gary and Val were scheduled to be on the show way before Larry passed away, so they were already coming. I don't think they will be seen on a regular basis. I have not heard much about Ray Krebbs coming back again...although he was an important part of the original series! Everyone would love Pam to return, and there are all kinds of twists and shockers they could do with her if she would come back--even if for just an episode or two. But, she has not expressed an interest and has declined. So, that's probably not going to happen. We're supposed to find out what happened to her sometime this season. Once we do, then they need to move on from Pam (if she doesn't ever actually show up) and only mention her at appropriate times. There are several other past characters they could bring back...but I don't think Jenna Wade should be one of them. :rolleyes: She was weird and her and Ray's relationship in the original series became somewhat ridiculous. If she did return for an episode or two...then Ray would almost have to as well--as they are still married as far as anybody knows. Never liked James Beaumont much...but I guess he could show up after J.R.'s death and try to claim part of the family's money and business. But, that would be just almost literally re-hashing the original series episodes with him. I don't see him as really being a character that would help plotlines or ratings at all! Other oil and alternative energy plotlines could be interesting and a good way to create new twists too. But, I think more with Cliff and his dimented daughter are also ways to liven things up. I have little doubts that we will see all of season 2, and it will be finished out. From what I've seen advertised so far it looks awesome! But, the final ratings after the finale of season 2 may decide whether or not we see a season 3. I've loved everything I've seen so far, as well as what is yet to come...with the characters we already have! ;) We will have to wait and see, and what happens happens...but I'm not going to just automatically give up on the show (before the season has really even aired yet) just because Larry Hagman passed away. Let's support it and give it a chance! :tu:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Well...who knows what may be happening in the next several episodes...could Pam actually show up, and make an appearance?? :eek: Here is a copy of an article from ultimatedallas, again concerning what we will eventually learn about what happened to Pam originally (I supposed this could warrant me warning of possible spoilers): [TV Guide reveals that in episode 8 there is a shock revelation that JR is behind Pam’s disappearance. An interview with Jesse Metcalfe teased the upcoming episode. “All hell breaks loose,” Metcalfe teases. “As we peel back the layers of the onion, a lot of things come to light. J.R. was attempting to set something in motion, and that involved Pam. I can’t reveal more, but I’m excited about the possibility of Victoria Principal coming back to the show.” With speculation that JR will be murdered could it be Pam that finally does away with him?] I underlined Metcalfe's statement that he is excited that Victoria might be making an appearance...I still don't know if this will happen or not, but it would be a superb "Dallas" style shocker! :cool: The impression I get is that J.R. was somehow behind her "disappearing" the first time around, and maybe she now gets revenge? Whatever the case, I truly cannot wait to watch!! :tu:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Count me on for a full season if this should happen!! Ratings in the tank producers may have changed their mind about Victoria and she about the return of Pam to Dallas. I still remember the guy that interviewed her telling her how much fans want her back. She really seemed surprised at that. Pam leaving the show was a terriable blow to loyal Dallas fans

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, the ratings are down but hardly "in the tank". Keep the following in mind: the show was moved from Wednesday to Monday and first aired in the summer when there was little competition. Also, ratings for cable shows are not calculated they way they are for network shows.The producers know this and are most likely taking it all into consideration. I'm pretty sure we'll get a full third season. After that, who knows? I never understood why some people would abandon a show just because an actor dies/leaves. The new Dallas has had my interest from the beginning and would even if none of the original cast were appearing. I'll be with this show until the end no matter what.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A few more things to keep in mind. TNT has not been having a good year with its new shows. They wanted a lot more out of Monday Mornings and the other new material. So Dallas' numbers are down but it's not as bad as one might have thought. Unless TNT is planning on scrapping almost all of its lineup, Dallas will likely get another season. Not sure we'll ever see Victoria Principal on the show, though. That's just never been in the equation. We'll see if they and she surprise everyone, but I think we've already heard the names of the returning actors who will tip their hat this year.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Tom M said:
First of all, the ratings are down but hardly "in the tank". Keep the following in mind: the show was moved from Wednesday to Monday and first aired in the summer when there was little competition. Also, ratings for cable shows are not calculated they way they are for network shows.The producers know this and are most likely taking it all into consideration. I'm pretty sure we'll get a full third season. After that, who knows? I never understood why some people would abandon a show just because an actor dies/leaves. The new Dallas has had my interest from the beginning and would even if none of the original cast were appearing. I'll be with this show until the end no matter what.
I could not have said it better!! Amen!! :tu: I love all the characters, including the new ones! We all love J.R. and will greatly miss him! But, there is so much more to this show and all the characters...this new series is focusing more on everyone, rather than just J.R. Besides, his "legacy" can be carried on by not only John Ross but also other "things" J.R. still had going before his death, that the family has to still deal with. He can still be mentioned and referred to occasionally, to help keep his memory alive. I too think there definitely could be a 3rd season, and truly hope there is!! But, like you said, after that?? As always, time will tell. :)
Kevin EK said:
A few more things to keep in mind. TNT has not been having a good year with its new shows.  They wanted a lot more out of Monday Mornings and the other new material.  So Dallas' numbers are down but it's not as bad as one might have thought.  Unless TNT is planning on scrapping almost all of its lineup, Dallas will likely get another season. Not sure we'll ever see Victoria Principal on the show, though.  That's just never been in the equation.  We'll see if they and she surprise everyone, but I think we've already heard the names of the returning actors who will tip their hat this year.
We may or may not see Victoria Principal?? I still seriously question it myself. But, wether you like it or not, there has been and obviously still is a definite possibility of her making an appearance. ;) Cynthia Cidre herself has stated before that including Pam (aka Victoria) has always been a possibility...they just had not really found the right way to do it, and at the time when first putting the new show together, 2 years ago, Victoria had declined. Maybe now she agreed to one appearance to say "goodbye" to J.R.? Or perhaps Jesse Metcalfe is lying and just throwing out those "hints" to try and bring viewers back in? Or maybe there will be a "Pam Appearance"?? The one possibility, that I would not like, is that they do have Pam show up...but again it's a different woman playing the part (they could always use the original plastic surgery excuse like the one fake-Pam appearance in the original series), and it's not Victoria Principal playing Pam. :td: But...then why would Jesse Metcalfe mention Victoria's name...and not just the characater of Pam Ewing? ;) I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks... Whatever the case (along with Gary, Val, Mandy Winger, Cally, Lucy, etc..), it's gonna be awesome!! :)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
What about setting a future series in space, in the future. Everyone could be cloned, the possibilities are endless! Never go back - "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there".

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Keith Cobby said:
What about setting a future series in space, in the future. Everyone could be cloned, the possibilities are endless!
Well, they should make it an animated series like "The Partridge Familiy 2200 A.D.," and the future Ewings can form a rock band, with Bobby as guitarist, Miss Ellie on keyboards and Lucy slappin' that tambourine against her hiney...

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Well...sadly we finally have a more definite statement on whether Pam will make an appearance on "Dallas" or not...from Victoria herself. There have been lots of rumors going around for a while, even statements by current cast members, that Victoria might make a surprise appearance as Pam--possibly tieing in with J.R.'s upcoming death. However, as originally stated back when the show first premired, Victoria has still declined to come on the show. Here is a copy of an online article/statement, from ultimatedallas.com including a statement from Victoria herself on the matter: [Since Dallas returned to our screens on TNT there has been mass speculation that Victoria Principal would return to reprise her role of Pamela Ewing. But now that speculation is over via a statement from Victoria to Deadline.com Victoria- “Since the inception of ‘Dallas’, the creators and fans around the world have referred to Bobby and Pam, as the Romeo & Juliet of ‘Dallas’. I could not agree more. And since the original author of this scenario, William Shakespeare, felt compelled to make theirs a tragic love story, of epic and unforgettable deathly loss, I think I shall respect that very successful example, and leave the legacy of Bobby & Pam’s tragic love story, undisturbed and intact. When I filmed Pam’s fatal car accident, for me that was the punctuation mark on my role as Pam. I cannot be held responsible for any choices made by producers, once I left ‘Dallas’, but I do take responsibility for my decision, not to risk tarnishing Bobby & Pam’s love story, with a desperate reappearance. I made this decision a long time ago with a loving and respectful heart for ‘Dallas’, Bobby & Pam and all faithful fans.” http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/victoria-principal-dallas-not-returning-tnt-series/#more-443969 Fans of the original series will remember that Pam was last seen discussing with her doctor that she only had a few months to live but her ending was left ambiguous. It is rumored that fans will finally discover the fate of Pamela Ewing in an upcoming episode. In light of Victoria’s statement is it finally time to officially kill off the character of Pam?] So...it is as I originally feared...most likely Pam's fate we'll learn will be she's dead, and perhaps J.R. had something to do with it?? Whatever the case, Victoria still has declined to come on the show, and so we still get to try and figure out who kills J.R. Although I'm disappointed, this isn't a huge shock. ;) I was hoping by what had been stated recently...but by no means holding my breath. :P I'm still loving this new show, and it's plot twists, character developments, storylines, etc...! :) I cannot wait to see what happens to J.R., and to eventually see who done it. :tu:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
Well...sadly we finally have a more definite statement on whether Pam will make an appearance on "Dallas" or not...from Victoria herself. There have been lots of rumors going around for a while, even statements by current cast members, that Victoria might make a surprise appearance as Pam--possibly tieing in with J.R.'s upcoming death. However, as originally stated back when the show first premired, Victoria has still declined to come on the show. Here is a copy of an online article/statement, from ultimatedallas.com including a statement from Victoria herself on the matter: [Since Dallas returned to our screens on TNT there has been mass speculation that Victoria Principal would return to reprise her role of Pamela Ewing. But now that speculation is over via a statement from Victoria to Deadline.com Victoria- “Since the inception of ‘Dallas’, the creators and fans around the world have referred to Bobby and Pam, as the Romeo & Juliet of ‘Dallas’. I could not agree more. And since the original author of this scenario, William Shakespeare, felt compelled to make theirs a tragic love story, of epic and unforgettable deathly loss, I think I shall respect that very successful example, and leave the legacy of Bobby & Pam’s tragic love story, undisturbed and intact. When I filmed Pam’s fatal car accident, for me that was the punctuation mark on my role as Pam. I cannot be held responsible for any choices made by producers, once I left ‘Dallas’, but I do take responsibility for my decision, not to risk tarnishing Bobby & Pam’s love story, with a desperate reappearance. I made this decision a long time ago with a loving and respectful heart for ‘Dallas’, Bobby & Pam and all faithful fans.” http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/victoria-principal-dallas-not-returning-tnt-series/#more-443969 Fans of the original series will remember that Pam was last seen discussing with her doctor that she only had a few months to live but her ending was left ambiguous. It is rumored that fans will finally discover the fate of Pamela Ewing in an upcoming episode. In light of Victoria’s statement is it finally time to officially kill off the character of Pam?] So...it is as I originally feared...most likely Pam's fate we'll learn will be she's dead, and perhaps J.R. had something to do with it?? Whatever the case, Victoria still has declined to come on the show, and so we still get to try and figure out who kills J.R. Although I'm disappointed, this isn't a huge shock. ;) I was hoping by what had been stated recently...but by no means holding my breath. :P I'm still loving this new show, and it's plot twists, character developments, storylines, etc...! :) I cannot wait to see what happens to J.R., and to eventually see who done it. :tu:
It sounds like to me she has not waiver since she was first asked. The interview with her a few years said something Pam was basically killed in a car crash, so how can you really bring her back. I think she respects her years on Dallas, but wants the character to die. I respect Pam choice and to me she will always be Pam Ewing. However, there is one angle that could be explored, but has not been discussed was Pam was pregnant at the time of the crash as such maybe you could bring in the child and have a fight over Pam's estate. The fight over the estate could be a new plot!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The information in the Deadline "scoop" is consistent with what has been known since the TNT revival of the series began, although it carefully doesn't get into the particulars. It's very nice of Victoria Principal to publicly address the speculation about whether she would return to this role, and to settle the matter so succinctly. I believe the people working on the TNT Dallas would agree with her. That said, I've seen no indications that any talks happened. Reading her statement carefully, it's clear she's addressing fan's queries to her, and it's very polite of her to do so.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kevin EK said:
The information in the Deadline "scoop" is consistent with what has been known since the TNT revival of the series began, although it carefully doesn't get into the particulars. It's very nice of Victoria Principal to publicly address the speculation about whether she would return to this role, and to settle the matter so succinctly.   I believe the people working on the TNT Dallas would agree with her.  That said, I've seen no indications that any talks happened.   Reading her statement carefully, it's clear she's addressing fan's queries to her, and it's very polite of her to do so.
I watch S10 and the last episode that Victoria Principal played Pam Ewing. The car crash and her in bandages is the last thing i remember seeing Pam. Pam carries over into S11, but is just bandaged person. The sad thing is the build up before the crash is about Christopher finding out that he is adopted.
Dallas 2012 could bring back Pam via pictures of the past to salute her role. There has been little mention about Pam other then Cliff naming his daughter Pam and/or Ewings (JR) destroying Pam and Cliff vowing revenge for Pam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks