What's new

DVD Review Dallas: The Complete First Season (2012) Review (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I looked for over nights on Dallas and I am glad they were found. Dallas in my opinion will drop in the ratings each week until its cancelation. Who will sponsor this show? I wish with the death of Larry Hagman the producers would have shelved their storyline and edited his last episodes down to a well produced movie of the week. Patrick and Linda themselves said the only way they would have gone into the new Dallas if all three were there. Well now that is not the case. I felt Dallas was really taking a gamble when they tried this. Daytime soaps are dropping like dominos. How naïve are these producers? People just do not have time to watch week after week of these melodramas. Nights now are even busier with family life than they were in the 80s. The only group Dallas would appeal to now would be people such as myself. The people who watched Dallas when we were young adults. Now those young adults have grown older and we do not have time for it either. Cable networks do not want us as their base audience even if we were watching. I watched last season but I asked my neighbors friends etc who are my age if they were watching. I received and this is true the exact same response. Dallas was ok until the last years. Pam left the series and the show was just dull. Yes was their answer to watching last seasons first episode and too busy to watch any others. I knew then Dallas was in trouble unless Pam came back at the end of the season. Larry’s passing I felt was the end of the show. The new actors just cannot hold this show together. I will watch the funeral episode but a whole season of who killed JR forget it. I think even if Larry had lived I would not have stayed with Dallas. The story line of the first two episodes of Ann and evil ex husband grooming now obviously to be a JR boring Hey those that enjoy the show enjoy. I think with those heavy salaries being paid and the cost of production each week with declining ratings will end the show. I even think it could happen before all the filmed episodes are aired.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Here's one viewer who won't be back after last week's Season 2 premiere. Promos for Monday Morning got more airtime than JR. Other than wondering how they will handle his demise (I'll read about it here), none of the storylines interest me. I don't care about Bobby and Ann. I want Bobby and Pam. I don't care about Cliff's daughter. I want more Cliff. The younger actors are just filling the time between all the commercial breaks. I felt like it was a waste of 2 hours.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's pretty normal these days that shows will be declared dead or doomed after a single night's ratings. Could be true in this case, but I've been working in this long enough to get surprised many times over. A couple of quick corrections. The new Dallas is not an expensive show - TNT shows regularly shoot in 2-3 less days per episode than standard network shows. They're also filming in Texas and getting a good incentive to be there. And they don't have an expensive cast. I would venture to say that the show is actually less expensive than other TNT offerings. It was not an option at the moment of Larry Hagman's passing to suddenly re-edit the six completed episodes into a single TV movie, unless TNT wanted to pay to have much of the material rewritten and reshot. Not to mention eating the cost of making the other episodes, which they already have done. Again, this isn't as expensive as a network show, but TNT isn't about to just throw money out the window. TNT approved a 2nd season as planned by Cynthia Cidre that includes multiple character arcs that have already been established. As was the case with the original series, these shows don't have quick wrap-ups at the end of each episode. Stories continue throughout the season and then usually have another cliff to drop off of at the end of the year. Some stories do find an end, but usually just at the moment that other ones go active. If TNT should decide not to continue the series as such, that decision would tend to wait until all the episodes have been completed. Given TNT's practices, I expect you'll see all of this season air whether the ratings continue to decline or not. We should also keep in mind that the ratings for all TV shows have been declining for years, partly for the reasons Mark points out. These days, the only shows that get a big rating are ones where people feel a real need to see it live, like the Oscars or the Super Bowl. Typical prime time dramas no longer pull in the audiences they did 30 years ago, given that people have so many other options, and given that people have the ability to DVR their favorite TV shows and timeshift their viewing. Daytime soap operas are another issue entirely - given that they are a specific product aimed at homemakers who would be in their living rooms during the midday hours and whom they could ply with short burst scenes between the commercials. Since modern families don't tend to sit in front of the TV all day, the reach of the soap operas has greatly diminished. I too am one of the people who enjoyed Dallas in the first iteration (and I'm glad to have picked up the DVDs of the first five years of it). I do enjoy seeing the original cast members. Mark says the truth when he notes that Patrick Duffy and Linda Grey would not have done the new series had Hagman not participated. It's been nice to see some of the other originals - although I doubt we'll see much more other than during the funeral episode. As I noted, there are indications that we'll see Audrey Landers as part of the story involving her character's daughter. I also have to agree that Judith Light seems a tad young to be Mitch Pileggi's mother... Watch for the new series to try to make a mystery out of J.R.'s death, as a way to stimulate more people to watch. If that doesn't work, I agree that TNT will need to rethink how much more of the show to produce.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch all S1 episodes and started watching S2. The new Dallas has some intriguing qualities, but Judith Light being added as the mother does not make sense as she would be like 65 years of age. The should have used Shirley McLaine instead. The show probably will not be renewed, because i do not think you can have Dallas without JR. Two seasons of Dallas are fine, because you get to see the kids grown up. However, the show may not have a staying power after S2 unless they introduce Victoria Principal to the show. Victoria Principal has said no to returning, so i am guessing the show will end after this year.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just to keep the record straight, I don't believe Victoria Principal was ever asked. I don't believe she would have done the show had she been asked, but it wasn't her choice whether to do the show or not.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kevin EK said:
Just to keep the record straight, I don't believe Victoria Principal was ever asked.  I don't believe she would have done the show had she been asked, but it wasn't her choice whether to do the show or not.
Hi Kevin, I did watch an interview with Victoria and she mention that her character burn in car wreck, so she was unsure how you could bring Pam back. Dallas to me was five characters: Pam/Bobby, JR/Sue Ellen and Miss Elle. Miss Elle has long passed and is mention from time to time in first season. Bobby made a promise to Miss Elle they would never drill for oil on Southfork. Victoria Principal left the show to pursue other interest. Dallas always left the Pam Ewing option open as way to bring her back. However, I think Victoria Principal has moved on and even asked would not be interested in the new Dallas. I just hope they do not tried to bring back Falconcrest or Dynasty or Knots Landing. You could argue that desperate housewives is the modern day version of Knots Landing. I have all of Dallas on dvd and started watching it again. I am watching 1st/2nd season over the next week or so. I want to pay tribute to Larry Hagman as JR!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Paul, you're absolutely right. And for Victoria Principal, the last thing she did as Pam was get into that car wreck. The lookalike actress they brought in for the infamous Paris scene did her work some years later, at a time when Principal had moved well beyond whatever was happening on the original series. I think you're right that Desperate Housewives was the modern day equivalent of these shows. It's a nice touchstone that the new Dallas includes Brenda Strong from both the original Dallas series and from Desperate Housewives...

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Kevin, I guess I wanted TNT to put that money into the show to wrap it up as a tribute to Larry. The way Fox restored Something’s Got TO Give with Marilyn Monroe on DVD which must have cost money. Yes I too think Victoria would not have come back unless money and a great deal were offered. The cost I was referring too was Linda Patrick and Larry’s salaries. I think one of them mentioned money in an interview. I think it might have been Larry. Finding sponsors I thought as time went on might be a problem hence the cancelation before all shows were aired. I hope if ratings hit rock bottom as Dallas moves toward the middle of the season TNT cancels the show. TNT could then do the right thing by Dallas. Edit the unaired episodes into a 2 hour wrap up and invite Victoria back. I understand from what you say Kevin this is never done. Dallas could be the first to do so.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark Collins said:
Hi Kevin, I guess I wanted TNT to put that money into the show to wrap it up as a tribute to Larry. The way Fox restored Something’s Got TO Give with Marilyn Monroe on DVD which must have cost money. Yes I too think Victoria would not have come back unless money and a great deal were offered. The cost I was referring too was Linda Patrick and Larry’s salaries. I think one of them mentioned money in an interview. I think it might have been Larry. Finding sponsors I thought as time went on might be a problem hence the cancelation before all shows were aired. I hope if ratings hit rock bottom as Dallas moves toward the middle of the season TNT cancels the show. TNT could then do the right thing by Dallas. Edit the unaired episodes into a 2 hour wrap up and invite Victoria back. I understand from what you say Kevin this is never done. Dallas could be the first to do so.
Hi Mark, There is always potential to do something in order to spike a third season. Now that Larry is gone there will be need to climatic S2 ending as way to move the series into S3. The problem is characters, i.e. John Ross and Christopher are too shallow and do not have much depth to them. The gal that plays daughter of the housekeeper could become a key player, but her character and the style of accting by jordana brewster are no suited for two many twist and turns. The show premise with barns/ewing feud is also something that will not have the same staying power as JR is no longer there and feud is more with JR and Cliff. Cliff's daughter has potential, but her actresses is not suited to play adversary roles. Julie Gonzalo does not appear to get into the part, especially the feud issues between ewing and the barnes. Oil is also a different era now with Bakkans leading oil extraction along with the oil sands. The approach of methane is interesting, but the show would have been better off focusing on areas, like cellulose, biogas, etc as way to move Ewing Alternatives into a different direction and tie into what is happening in the market place. In the end the question really is "Can you have Dallas without JR?" My thoughts are you cant!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
younger1968 said:
Hi Mark, There is always potential to do something in order to spike a third season. Now that Larry is gone there will be need to climatic S2 ending as way to move the series into S3. The problem is characters, i.e. John Ross and Christopher are too shallow and do not have much depth to them. The gal that plays daughter of the housekeeper could become a key player, but her character and the style of accting by jordana brewster are no suited for two many twist and turns. The show premise with barns/ewing feud is also something that will not have the same staying power as JR is no longer there and feud is more with JR and Cliff. Cliff's daughter has potential, but her actresses is not suited to play adversary roles. Julie Gonzalo does not appear to get into the part, especially the feud issues between ewing and the barnes. Oil is also a different era now with Bakkans leading oil extraction along with the oil sands. The approach of methane is interesting, but the show would have been better off focusing on areas, like cellulose, biogas, etc as way to move Ewing Alternatives into a different direction and tie into what is happening in the market place. In the end the question really is "Can you have Dallas without JR?" My thoughts are you cant!
Paul well said my friend!!!!!! I cannot think of anything to add. I thought as others Judith is way to young for that part. I will watch the funeral. Heck maybe even buy the dvds because of Larry. I hated those last seasons of Dallas but I bought them all. I have a stack of shows I have yet of view and not to mention blu-rays I want to see. I also read a great deal. I just do not have time for this. I like how on Dallas.com they may even hitch a conclusion of her story on to the who shot JR plot. I have also wondered what is this about Victoria and Dallas. I have always heard hints of bad blood. Would producers REALLY want her back ??? I heard her interview and she claims they offered her a great deal of money but she turned it down. The other she wanted to much money and they turned her down. I am speaking of Dallas the original. I remember in the last year of Dallas the local station in Madison stopped airing Dallas and put it on after the news at 10:30. Dark Shadows the prime time remake was beating it in the ratings. PBS in its history of TV will be looking at the Prime Time soaps and has Larry in an interview. You can pre order the series on dvd. Paul loved your break down on the cast. Brenda Strong odd as it may seem is STRONG I think even better than Linda Grey I also loved how the writers ran out of ideas in the old show did Vertigo Bobby and the Pam business and the Ray and the knife happy gal from the Glen Close movie and of course ending with It's Wonderful Life

studioexexs

Auditioning
Real Name
studio
ScottRE said:
I don't think we're going to have long to mull over the future storylines of Dallas. The premiere's ratings were abysmal, the lowest the show has seen so far. There wasn't even a curiosity spike of people who want to see how the JR stuff goes. Maybe his "death episode" will see a jump, but once Hagman is gone from the series, expect the numbers to plummet further. This will likely be the final season and I can only hope the producers end the series by tying up plotlines rather than giving us a cliffhanger like Alphas, or V, or the other dozens of shows that felt a cliffhanger might sway the network from cutting their losses and continuing to air a failing program. http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/ratings-drop-for-season-premiere-of-dallas/
The RATINGS WERE LOW FOR A FEW REASONS, ALL OF WHICH ARE THE FAULT OF BRAIN DEAD STUDIO EXECUTIVES - 1, THEY PUT THE SHOW ON A DIFFERENT DAY THAN T WAS THIS SUMMER....NO CONSISTENCY + THEY BARELY PROMOTED IT STUDIO PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS AT BEST

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Mark, you're right that TNT had to pay good salaries to get Hagman, Duffy and Grey back. But these were nothing next to the salaries that were paid back in the day. Keep in mind that Larry Hagman was able to get himself some incredible compensation as well as a producer/director slot on the show. Patrick Duffy was able to get a very competitive offer for his return post-death. Nobody was paying that kind of cash for the revival series, which is produced on a reduced budget in Texas. I don't know for sure what the scenario was with Victoria Principal on the original series but I can guarantee she wasn't given the kind of offer they gave Larry Hagman or Patrick Duffy. You're also right to note that Larry Hagman did some negotiating with TNT for this show, in that he didn't accept their initial offer. But he did accept an offer to do the show, and it was nowhere near what CBS could manage at the show's peak in the 1980s. As for the sponsors suddenly leaving the show, I think that would be unlikely. The more likely scenario is that TNT will air the episodes for which they have paid and see how they do. Unlike the first season, where they announced a pickup pretty early, this time the will likely wait to see how the ratings do overall, and how things are relative to their other programs. This is a common mode for cable programming, where they only shoot 10-15 eps per season and then wait to see how things go before they order any more. Even in the unlikely scenario of TNT suddenly abandoning the show, that wouldn't mean they would decide to spend more money to reshoot the eps of a cancelled series or to suddenly add an actress from the original CBS run. In that scenario, the show would simply disappear. I strongly doubt such a thing will happen. You're absolutely right that if TNT suddenly scrapped the show and then funded a reshoot and a recasting after the scrapping, they would be the first network in history to do so. And strange things have indeed happened in this business. I just can't see that idea happening here, much as I enjoyed the character of Pam and Victoria Principal's performances back in the 1980s. I agree with your points and Paul's about areas where the new series can improve. And I can't argue that changing a show's airtime and not promoting is a recipe for disaster. If they're lucky, the viewers will have found the show by the next airing. If not, they will not have helped their own cause.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
First...daytime soaps cannot be compared to primetime soaps!! :rolleyes: There is no comparison...daytime ones are cheesy, and almost purposely done with "bad" acting. Primetime shows are WAY more realistic and have superb actors and/or storylines. I think the ratings were lower because the show was not promoted like it was with the first season, they changed the night and time of year it was on, and possibly many did not know it premiered the other night?? I think we will see the rest of this season...I cannot believe TNT would just throw away what they've already paid for and the ratings could pick back up as it goes along--especially with J.R.'s demise on the way. I think people enjoy a "good" melodrama and "Dallas" fits that perfectly! I do NOT think shoving the rest of the storylines into some ridiculous TV Movie to finish things out, just because Larry Hagman died, would be a good idea! :f That was what Cynthia Cidre, and the originals, wanted to stay away from...because the two reunion TV Movies done in 1996 and '98 were just too rushed and tried to shove everything into a 2hr timeslot, to tie up old plotlines. In another series format things can be given the right amount of time to develop and be made known. Whether or not Victoria Principal was originally asked if she would consider having an appearance on the new show (I have read several articles last summer--including an interview with Patrick Duffy...and now one from just a couple months ago from Cynthia Cidre, that stated she was asked but declined...and/or the production has always had Pam making an appearance as an idea but didn't know how to proceed with it at the time), we're supposed to find out sometime this season what happened to her. Whether she's supposedly dead, or alive somewhere I don't think we'll actually see her...although that would be awesome! :) I don't think Bobby and Pam would get back together even if they acutally did get Victoria to come onto the new show. Their relationship will always be my favorite for both their characters...but I also think it was "exhausted" once she left. Bobby's moved on with his life and has had other marriages or relationships after her--now with Ann. I do like Ann and her and Bobby's relationship, and look forward to seeing them together. I think that her ex-husband, and his rather young looking mother :laugh: , make for good "evil" characters--even more "evil" than J.R. But, I do hope they don't take over the whole season, so-to-speak. ;) The season will also not be all about who killed J.R.--as he won't even die until partway into it. I figure they'll go on with that for a couple episodes after that and then the killer will be revealed. Harris Ryland is also a character that could eventually be murdered (as a way to finish out that storyline) in a cliffhanger shocker. This show has so many possibilities, characters, superb storylines, and avenues to take! It saddens me that ratings were so low...but more so that some actually hope this show gets cancelled! :eek: It will never be the same without J.R.--but it can still prosper and continue in so many ways. I think and truly hope this show can at least have a season 3. The show was always famous for moving on with storylines and characters...and I think this new series is mastering that perfectly! Maybe the day/time/or time of year could be changed (summer again??)...but I've loved what I've seen so far and can't wait for more!! If you actually are a fan why don't we try supporting it and giving it a chance, rather than insulting it (before hardly any of season 2 has even aired) because you don't like it that Larry Hagman died. :tu:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Drew, you're right that it's frustrating to watch people predict a show you like going down to defeat. It's even more frustrating when you're working on a show like that and you see the posters on various ratings websites openly cheering for your show to be cancelled. Sometimes it really does turn into people cheering for their favorite show to be renewed and booing all the other shows. But that's not the case here - I think the posters here really like the original series of Dallas and would like to see this one do well. The TV movie idea is one that would only happen if the show were finished and they were doing a wrap-up after the fact, as they did with the reunion movies. I personally would hope they can simply keep the show going, and keep it interesting. One thing to keep in mind regarding whether the producers would bring back Victoria Principal (or any other former cast member): they're not going to discuss certain aspects about that kind of thing in public. When we see that sort of thing happen (like on "Two and a Half Men"), it's pretty unseemly. So I applaud the producers and the cast for keeping it classy.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
Drew, you're right that it's frustrating to watch people predict a show you like going down to defeat. It's even more frustrating when you're working on a show like that and you see the posters on various ratings websites openly cheering for your show to be cancelled.  Sometimes it really does turn into people cheering for their favorite show to be renewed and booing all the other shows.  But that's not the case here - I think the posters here really like the original series of Dallas and would like to see this one do well. The TV movie idea is one that would only happen if the show were finished and they were doing a wrap-up after the fact, as they did with the reunion movies.   I personally would hope they can simply keep the show going, and keep it interesting.  One thing to keep in mind regarding whether the producers would bring back Victoria Principal (or any other former cast member):  they're not going to discuss certain aspects about that kind of thing in public.  When we see that sort of thing happen (like on "Two and a Half Men"), it's pretty unseemly.  So I applaud the producers and the cast for keeping it classy. 
Kevin, Exactly--I really hope they keep the show going and interesting. I was really shocked at how bad the ratings were...and I still don't truly understand why? :confused: I guess if the show would get cancelled in the middle of the season, a TV Movie to "wrap" things up might be warranted...but I agree with what you stated earlier, that I doubt TNT would just suddenly scrap things just because the 2nd season has gotten off to a "rocky" start. I'd think they'd air this season, get through the whole J.R. thing, and then after this season maybe see if they could get a season 3...or cancel it. I realize that everyone has the right to their opinion, and whether they do or don't like a show. ;) It just kind of surprised me that several that said they were fans, seemed to be berating the show and were hoping it got cancelled! :f The only real problem I've had so far with the new "Dallas" is Judith Light playing Harris Ryland's mother...that's a little weird! :laugh: The actors are almost the same age (I think there is only 2 or 3 years age difference between them), and they also look around the same age. It would make more sense if they eventually reveal that she's his step-mother...and his father had married a much younger woman at some point in the past. But, I love the original "Dallas" right up to where Pam is in the explosion...then it just seemed to go down hill from there. I've seen and have all of the original "Dallas"...but the first six or seven seasons are my favorite. But, this new show seems to really have captured the essence of the first seasons of the original series (my opinion, I know)...even without Pam. I really hope that the show continues and the ratings get better!! I also know that whichever "surprise" original cast members the produces will and/or hope to bring on would be kept for the most part "secret" or under wraps until it was time to advertize it. I too applaud Cynthia and producers for keeping it classy, and professional. :tu: None of us know specifics (and I don't necessarily want to...I like being surprised :) ) but I think the article that interviewed Jesse Metcalfe hints more towards us finding out what happened to Pam...as in her "fate". I do not think we will actually see Victoria Principal...although in my opinion that would be the best thing! :) I think you're right...I think we'll find out she died back in the original show, Bobby and Christopher just never knew because J.R. somehow kept it hidden. I hate that idea...and would rather have them have her alive somewhere but living under another identity. But, I know that's most likely not gonna' happen. :( As for Gary and Val returning...that was kind of made known not very long after the first season concluded, so that's been known for a while. They've also shown a clip of an upcoming episode with Ted Shackleford, in promos for season 2, so I think we know they will show up. As for Cally and Mandy Winger returning...I just recently saw and read articles on Ultimatedallas.com talking about them showing up at J.R.'s funeral. So, I assume they will pop up too--probably in that one episode. As for Afton making an appearance, or more than one, I haven't heard much about her--only a lot of speculation. I really liked her from the original show, and I hope she's in this new series! After the other night's episodes I would gather she will show up at some point--and it will be interesting to see how she feels about Cliff and her daughter...since she always hated Cliff's obsession with revenge on the Ewings and his greed. There are so many storylines and roads to take with this new series...even after J.R. is gone. I really hope they keep the show going!! :D

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HunterMan said:
Kevin, Exactly--I really hope they keep the show going and interesting. I was really shocked at how bad the ratings were...and I still don't truly understand why? :confused: I guess if the show would get cancelled in the middle of the season, a TV Movie to "wrap" things up might be warranted...but I agree with what you stated earlier, that I doubt TNT would just suddenly scrap things just because the 2nd season has gotten off to a "rocky" start. I'd think they'd air this season, get through the whole J.R. thing, and then after this season maybe see if they could get a season 3...or cancel it. I realize that everyone has the right to their opinion, and whether they do or don't like a show. ;) It just kind of surprised me that several that said they were fans, seemed to be berating the show and were hoping it got cancelled! :f The only real problem I've had so far with the new "Dallas" is Judith Light playing Harris Ryland's mother...that's a little weird! :laugh: The actors are almost the same age (I think there is only 2 or 3 years age difference between them), and they also look around the same age. It would make more sense if they eventually reveal that she's his step-mother...and his father had married a much younger woman at some point in the past. But, I love the original "Dallas" right up to where Pam is in the explosion...then it just seemed to go down hill from there. I've seen and have all of the original "Dallas"...but the first six or seven seasons are my favorite. But, this new show seems to really have captured the essence of the first seasons of the original series (my opinion, I know)...even without Pam. I really hope that the show continues and the ratings get better!! I also know that whichever "surprise" original cast members the produces will and/or hope to bring on would be kept for the most part "secret" or under wraps until it was time to advertize it. I too applaud Cynthia and producers for keeping it classy, and professional. :tu: None of us know specifics (and I don't necessarily want to...I like being surprised :) ) but I think the article that interviewed Jesse Metcalfe hints more towards us finding out what happened to Pam...as in her "fate". I do not think we will actually see Victoria Principal...although in my opinion that would be the best thing! :) I think you're right...I think we'll find out she died back in the original show, Bobby and Christopher just never knew because J.R. somehow kept it hidden. I hate that idea...and would rather have them have her alive somewhere but living under another identity. But, I know that's most likely not gonna' happen. :( As for Gary and Val returning...that was kind of made known not very long after the first season concluded, so that's been known for a while. They've also shown a clip of an upcoming episode with Ted Shackleford, in promos for season 2, so I think we know they will show up. As for Cally and Mandy Winger returning...I just recently saw and read articles on Ultimatedallas.com talking about them showing up at J.R.'s funeral. So, I assume they will pop up too--probably in that one episode. As for Afton making an appearance, or more than one, I haven't heard much about her--only a lot of speculation. I really liked her from the original show, and I hope she's in this new series! After the other night's episodes I would gather she will show up at some point--and it will be interesting to see how she feels about Cliff and her daughter...since she always hated Cliff's obsession with revenge on the Ewings and his greed. There are so many storylines and roads to take with this new series...even after J.R. is gone. I really hope they keep the show going!! :D
I realize Bobby has always been the "straight laced" one, especially compared to J.R. but........what if something Ann tells him is just too much for him to bear? I could certainly see a scenario IF they were to bring back Pam that could lead Bobby to some confusion. They played out a scenario in the original series in which a guy came back pretending to be Jock and it had Miss Ellie confused. I wouldn't want them to rip that story line out and have another "possible" person but what if it were Pam herself? What if it were Cliff that killed J.R.? Perhaps that would draw her out of seclusion if she were alive and complicate matters for Bobby? On a funnier note, I had a friend e-mail me and ask me if I thought that Larry's death was simply a publicity stunt and he were actually still alive. I told her essentially that no one would be so crass as to pull off a stunt like that one. But I can't help but be reminded hearing that the best career move Hank Williams ever made was to die (tongue in cheek of course) so as to shoot to super-stardom. Perhaps Larry's passing will be the best move for the new series? Jock never was as popular as J.R. but the original series did survive without him after his passing.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
With TV shows like this (remakes and reunions), once the curiosity factor wears off, you get your baseline numbers. Now they are shrinking. Apparently the first season didn't intrigue enough people to keep all of them for the season premiere, which is always hoped to get increased ratings. I fully expect the funeral episode to be a success, but history shows a sharp fall off will occur. I know it's frustrating when people sound the death knell for your favorite shows so early on, but when you're talking about a series that got the majority of its vibrancy from one actor, you can expect something HUGE to be lost when that actor dies (see Talk Radio, 8 Simple Rules and so on). I'd rather be prepared for the end and be pleasantly surprised at a renewal then to go on thinking all will be dandy. I've been stung far too often to think otherwise. And what's with this idea that success will result if they just bring in Victoria Principal? Since when was she a huge draw? Her character was well played out by season 6 of the old series and when she finally left, the show kept on going. Her initial focus was overshadowed by Larry Hagman until he was the lynchpin of the series. The only real threat to the show's life back then was Bobby's death. They were the two main characters people needed to have around. Everyone else was expendable. Besides, Victoria has no interest in Dallas. She won't talk about it, so why would she want to be in it? I hope for the best, that the series will continue and also be interesting. The younger characters don't have the depth and unpredictability needed to be interesting (Christopher has two settings: Angry and Duped) Honestly, once Hagman's episodes are over, a lot of what made new Dallas entertaining will have gone with him.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Scott, you could well be right. We'll just have to see. Keep in mind that Larry Hagman wasn't in all of the first season of the new series due to his treatments at the time. His appearances at the end of the year were a lot more frail than many people were expecting to see. Thankfully there was one good putdown moment of J.R. letting the South American bad guy have a taste of his own medicine. His appearance in the opening episodes of the 2nd year was a bit stronger, which is ironic considering the outcome. You're also right to be wary of any network when it comes to whether they will or will not renew a show. Better to just enjoy the eps you can and if the show goes away, so be it. Too many people get caught up in either trying to change a network's mind about their programming, or in trying to trash other people's favorite shows. As I noted, this gets painful when you're working on one of these shows and seeing a battery of posts about all the reasons why your show has no chance. I agree that the younger characters need to step up if the show is to have a future - but this would be true in any case. Just as the original series didn't rely on Jock and Miss Ellie to drive the show, the new one can't rely on Bobby and Sue Ellen as the drivers. John Ross and Christopher will need to be more compelling as characters - and this is their chance to do so. If it works, you'll see the show stick around for another season or few. If it doesn't, it was a nice effort. BTW, as the review notes, the original series actually came up with a great soap opera story with the death of Jock. It was one of those "Here we go" moments in the series, what with Ewing Oil being split between J.R. and Bobby, depending on which one could run it better. Guaranteed to cause all kinds of mayhem...

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
When the original Dallas aired their was only sub plots, but those sub plots always had JR twist. The new Dallas has twist and turns with JR pulling the strings. The problem is that Larry Hagman now has passed on so how will those sub plots evolved. One options is to look Pam Barnes and John Ross scheming together, but the actors may not be able to pull off the power couple. Christopher is a decent actor, but the actor playing Christopher does not have right demeanor for him. Christopher should be saying more about his mom as part of his character development. Cliff Barnes has also disappeared from scenes as if he has passed the torch to Pam Barnes for the Ewing/Barnes feud. It is now over 35 years the feud has been discussed on TV as such they need to move on to another plot. One idea could be bring back oil competitor like Weststar Oil and introduced Jeremy's son into the equation. It would be good to go back to the shows oil roots along with batters on alternative oil. The show could look at Bakkan Oil or Gas Fracking as potential story lines. I am glad the show came out, but i still feel the is show will be lucky to pick up a 3rd year. If does get a third year then i think that will be its last year!

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Ron1973 said:
I realize Bobby has always been the "straight laced" one, especially compared to J.R. but........what if something Ann tells him is just too much for him to bear? I could certainly see a scenario IF they were to bring back Pam that could lead Bobby to some confusion. They played out a scenario in the original series in which a guy came back pretending to be Jock and it had Miss Ellie confused. I wouldn't want them to rip that story line out and have another "possible" person but what if it were Pam herself? What if it were Cliff that killed J.R.? Perhaps that would draw her out of seclusion if she were alive and complicate matters for Bobby? On a funnier note, I had a friend e-mail me and ask me if I thought that Larry's death was simply a publicity stunt and he were actually still alive. I told her essentially that no one would be so crass as to pull off a stunt like that one. But I can't help but be reminded hearing that the best career move Hank Williams ever made was to die (tongue in cheek of course) so as to shoot to super-stardom. Perhaps Larry's passing will be the best move for the new series? Jock never was as popular as J.R. but the original series did survive without him after his passing.
LOL! :laugh: You have some awesome ideas, Ron! :) I also liked your earlier idea of what if Barbara Eden returned again (I assume as Lee Ann De Lavega) and she killed J.R. I think Pam suddenly returning would be an awesome shocker that no one would see coming! :tu: But, sadly I don't think that will happen. :( I also don't think Larry would have been crass enough (although J.R. would have been) to fake his death for publicity. :laugh: Sadly, J.R. is gone. But, although J.R. was always the main bad guy that everbody loved to hate throughout the original show, and a lot of the plotlines revolved around his chaos...the series was never all or just about him! Everyone was focused on and had a major part in "making" the show. If Bobby, Pam, Sue Ellen, Miss Ellie, etc...had left the original show around the same time, and then it only was about J.R., it would have been cancelled way earllier than when it was. It took the majority of them to make the show work. J.R. will be missed for sure...but I think John Ross can create a new "bad guy" that we all love to hate in his own way, and everyone still has a chance to shine! I don't know if there will be a season 3 or not...but I definitely think TNT will air the rest of season 2--and I can't wait!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks