What's new

Da-Lite Screen replacement (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Hi all,

it's been a long time sine I have posed a question here but here goes. I have searched this forum a bit un-successfully and can't find the answer to this question. I assumed I wouldn't have been the first in this situation but who knows. lol i aplogize for the long wordyness bu like said, It's been a while since I have been here.

Quick question is What screen material is best used with a single bulb projector?

Long Story if you have time:)
I had a CRT front projection shooting to a Da-Lite Cinema vision screen. If I remember correctly, I needed high gain due to low light output of CRT Projector. CRT projector died about 10 months ago.

Now using an Hitachi UltraVision digital entertainment projector. Pj-Tx-100. it's a pretty good 3-chip lcd projector that i got pretty cheap. Obviously there was a different throw distance but once installed, It doesn't look too bad.

I noticed hot spotting as soon as i fired it up. I assume, it is do to screen material with high gain for CRT. So the question I want to ask is this as stated above,...
What screen material is best used with a single bulb projector?

I am toying with the idea of moving my theater out of the basement and up into our living room. Less light control and thinking motorized screen recessed in the ceiling in front of fireplace. Two big windows on each side of the fire place is where I plan to place my two Martin Logan Ascents. The Martin Logan Theater Center Channel will sit in front of the fire place. Abyss Sub placement to be determined as well as B&W surrounds.

I am open to any suggestion you may have toward screen replacement. Thanks in advanced!

Sincerely,
Jeff S.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
"Best" depends on your specific application and preferences and there is no definitive right answer. I personally use a painted white wall in my bat cave because I see hot spotting or bright area on any screen with gain plus the screen texture of the coating and saving the cost of a commercial screen allowed me to buy a better projector. Better projector + while wall > Lessor projector + commercial screen assuming you take the time to smooth and sand the wall and after several coats of paint sand completely to take the sheen out.

When you don't have full light control or have a very brightly painted room, there are other screens that can get a better image because a 1.0 gain screen will wash out from all the light reflection. Most are not cheap.

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Thanks Chuck! I guess thats why I had trouble looking for a post of this nature and had to come up with my own. I didn't realize this was as un-clearcut as "what color should I paint my theater" lol, I remeber a debat like that goin on and on from long ago.

Well, with that said, I was looking at Da-Lite screens since I have one already. I was very happy with it until I went to single bulb projector. Guess I will save my $ . I read same thing you said, and was looking at .06 gain matt white screen if moving upstairs. Guess I will keep my HT in the basement where I have more control over light and see how much the screen replacement will cost to fit my perm-wall frame from Da-Lite. It's still fun to do the "what if" scenario though. lol

Signed,

Always dreaming

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks