D80 vs. D200 (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
True that.

With BB's pricing of the D200, you save enough (over the D300) to buy something like a gently used, mint condition Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 DX on the used market, if you want -- or pay another $200-300 for it brand new. The 17-55mm f/2.8 DX should probably replace your old Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8 very nicely (and probably offer better overall quality), if that's the route you want to go. There are other options of course.

Anyway, don't wanna crowd John's thread too much w/ tangential gear talk as he might not like that -- j/k of course. ;) :D

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All you lousy gearheads hijacking my thread.

:laugh:

I already have a lot of great glass. Still, I wouldn't mind a 12-24, but it's not a big priority now that I'm not doing much pro work anymore. I have to admit I would like a wider range lens for general pitcher takin'. All the stuff I have now is short range zoom. Only 1 (the 70-180 Micro) goes slightly over 2:1 zoom range, the rest are 2:1, and a 20-35 that isn't even that wide a range.

Hank_P

Second Unit

how did you know that 17-55mm 2.8 has my name all over it :D It's at the top of my list right now, and will be in my hand by June. If something bad happens and funds would become tight again, the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 would be the second choice for about half $$.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The camera arrived today. I charged the battery and give it a very quick look. There are several things about the D200 I suspect I'll prefer over the D90, not really knowing the two cameras all that well. Particularly, a pc (no, not personal computer) connection and the ability to dial in a color temperature will both be nice. Still, when I'm using strobes I'd rather be untethered. There must be some simple flash-like IR triggering device I can find just to fire the strobes.

One of the biggest things, aside from general image quality, is the speed the card is written. When I shot raw on the Fuji, I could have lunch while it was writing.

Hank_P

Second Unit
the D200 has commander mode and will remotely trigger the SB600, SB800 or SB900 as a slave(s)

ALso, shooting RAW+JPeg give you plenty of options for PS "enhancements/corrections".

I usually get a little over 200 pics with a 4GB card in the D200.

I think you will fully enjoy your new 'toy'.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Funny how people keep referring to it as a toy. It's a hammer. Nothing more or less. Yes, it is a nice hammer, but it's still a hammer.

I took a quick look at the RAW converter in PS CS4 and I have to say, this RAW thing is pretty neat. The "RAW" on my old Fuji is just TIFF. I see I will be shooting RAW as a standard practice, which means a much larger HD must be in my near future.

I take it once I actually open the RAW image in PS, it is downconverted to 8 bit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, one trip of the camera in my bag stored how I usually do (lens up) and the monitor cover broke. One of the clips just broke off. I am hoping it was already cracked in transit. What do people use for monitor covers?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I would think Adobe's RAW converter should give you a 16-bit image, not 8-bit, though the actual data won't fully use the 16-bit range -- none of these DSLRs actually offer that AFAIK.

Not sure what to do about the broken LCD cover -- I never broke mind. :D

_Man_

Hank_P

Second Unit
I like the cover to protect the screen, I would get another one. Like you said, it's just plastic, and I'm sure mine will take a hit and need to be replaced.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Funny you mention that. I'm one of those slobs who always presses their face right up tight on the back of their cameras and the first day i had my D300 I was out shooting with it and the monitor cover got pushed off by my cheek and went right into a river! Lost forever and I never bothered to replace it. I just ignore the smudges on the screen same way I do with the ipod touch, it's just the way things are.

John if you are going to experiment with RAW may I suggest you try Lightroom out? I find it a much more pleasant experience than bridge to photoshop. There's a 30 day no hassle trial just by downloading off adobe's site...

Hank_P

Second Unit
another +1 for Lightroom.

oh, and did I mention I also picked up a D90 for the wife (so now i have D200 and D90) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks