What's new

D. Digital vs DTS question... (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys...

I have a reciever that decodes Dolby Digital, and accepts DTS (but does not decode it itself). I'm aware that most people believe that DTS is the better of the two.

My question is, will a dvd player that decodes DTS still be better then having the reciever decode Dolby Digital itself? I think I've seen people mention that DVD players that decode surround sound usually aren't as good as the recievers... but I only have a Phillips reciever... nothing all that special.

Basically... I'll be buying a progressive scan dvd player soon, and want to know if looking for one that also decodes DTS is worth it. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What do you mean when you say your receiver "accepts" DTS but does not "decode" it? Either a receiver can handle DTS, or it can't.

M.

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it does NOT have the "DTS" logo on it, but in the manuel, it says a "DTS" message will flash on the reciever's display when a DTS signal is found. I figured it was a similiar thing to HDTV's... most of them are "HD" ready, but you need a box to decode it first.

My DVD player is connected to the reciever via Coaxial cable. I get Dolby Digital fine, but if I select "DTS" on the dvd menu.. I get NO sound at all.

I should mention that i have a normal RCA as the coaxial cable... I assumed it was fine since it works with the DD.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Well, it has the "DTS" logo on it...
Then your receiver isn't the problem. There are two possibilities:

1. Less likely: You have a very old model DVD player that doesn't pass the DTS signal. Check the player for a DTS logo. If it's there, proceed to item 2.

2. More likely: You haven't enabled DTS output on the player's setup menu. (That's the player's menu, not the DVD's.) This single error is responsible for probably hundreds of HTF threads. Check your player's manual, or just access the player menu and look for an audio option that refers to DTS. There will probably be an option for "on" or "bitstream", which is what you want.

M.

(NOTE: You appear to have edited your previous message since I posted. I gather, now, that there is no DTS logo on the recevier?)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I'm an idiot... I guess my reciever doesn't do DTS, as it is the 965 model, but the 975 does. In the manual it talks all about DTS, but I guess it's just for the 975. Sorry for wasting your time. :b

I've had it since about 2000, so maybe it's time to upgrade. ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying the manual is intended for both models? If so, does it say anywhere in there that yours does not decode DTS? Read closely. It doesn't make sense that the manual would provide extensive mention of DTS on a model that doesn't decode it. And by 2000, just about all equipment I paid any attention to was supporting DTS.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It may be advertised as being like "DTS ready," i.e. having pre-ins for an outboard DTS decoder. This may be the case, i'd look into it further, but my internet is slow for some reason right now. If this is the case, then your DVD player would need to have DTS decoders on board, and you'd use 6 analo cables into the pre-ins on your reciever. I really don't know whether DD or DTS would sound better in this case, you'd need to do some experimenting.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
question...................my ps2 says it is capable of dts, but when i put in a game with dts, it wont be in dts.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks