What's new

CW's Reign Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm luke warm on the pilot. Lots of treachery afoot, as is most of these royalty-centric shows on bloodlines and monarchies.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The soapiness of this show, bed-hoping escapades, combined with some medieval acts of violence appears to be a winning combo for this show. Just saw news of the CW pulling in better Thursday ratings than NBC. :D

The show is steadily gaining its footing with many people acting in cross-purposes, pretty soon, you'll need a flow chart to keep track of the treachery.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I missed the first couple of episodes of Reign, but what I have seen I have enjoyed thus far. I love the time period, the castles, the sets, and the fashions used in this series. I realize that it is not historically accurate, but that doesn't bother me that much. For my own part, I would love for them to use music from the sixteenth century every now and then (similar to what David Munrow did for The Six Wives of Henry VIII).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The narrator that does the quick updates kills me, just in the way he delivers the lines to get viewers up to speed for each episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was very pleased to learn last night that the pilot of Reign was shown. I DVR'd it and will watch that tonight. We missed the first four episodes of this series. One of my daughters told me that she either heard or read that they are repeating the early episodes leading up to a new episode sometime in January. This gives us the opportunity to view those episodes we missed.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I was pleasantly premature when I wrote above that I wished that this series would use some period music. When watching the pilot episode tonight, at the point where Mary and her 'ladies in waiting' are dancing during the banquet, I did in fact hear some wonderful sixteenth-century music. I have actually performed the dance piece in one of the collegiums I have been in over the years. It was great hearing that in this episode. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks to a Reign marathon last Saturday, I was finally able to get caught up and have now watched the first eight episodes from this series. I really enjoy it for a variety of reasons. If this program ever comes out on DVD, I will probably pick it up so I can view it again without all of the screen clutter that is the norm with much of network programming.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched "Sacrifice" last night. What a fun episode that was on many fronts. The manipulation of Catherine by Lola, Greer, and Kenna was priceless. Catherine's words to each lady (and especially to Kenna for obvious reasons) were sardonic, but in the end the way each of them were 'thanking' Catherine was measurably shrewd. I've been so focused on the craftiness and wit of Mary that I had totally forgotten about how intelligent (and manipulative) Lola can be when necessary.

I believe that this was the first episode in which Francis did not appear. With the focus so much on Sebastian and Mary (and Isabel and her child), I can understand why he needn't have been in this episode. I didn't expect (and in retrospect did not enjoy) what occurred with Isabel, although I understand why it had to happen.

Speaking of things that I have not enjoyed thus far (and they are few), I wish that Aylee could have been spared for a while longer. Thus far that's probably my most 'down' moment of the series.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Last night's episode was maybe the best one yet. It was filled with twists, turns, and varying levels of intrigue and even included a couple of revelations. It was great that we finally got to see Clarissa. This show, like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Arrow, will not have another first-run episode until after the Olympics.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think I'm the only member of the HTF who is watching this show. I do love it a lot. The writing for Mary and Catherine was superb last week. And every time anyone (especially Catherine) underestimates Mary, she has a trump card ready to play. I think Penelope's days are numbered, too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Matt,

Don't do that. ;) Yeah, I've DVR'd them all too. The evolution of Mary -- from girl, to young woman, and now to a legitimate queen -- is very compelling. She is as clever as they come. And her ladies in waiting (especially Lola and Kenna) are quite shrewd when they have to be. I like Greer as well. I really wish that Aylee (Janessa Grant) had been in the series for longer than she was. That was a 'down' moment for my family as far as the show is concerned because we liked her in that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks