What's new

Cut to the Chase: The Charley Chase Classic Comedy Collection FINALLY released thru Milestone Films (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
While Amazon has had a listing for November, it is currently available for shipping via Milestone's website at a more discounted rate.
Much of the titles have since been released in the Kino collections, though there are still some new ones. I also expect many of them to surpass Kino's prints/transfers and perhaps with improved scoring.
I'm more surprised this got released at all, since it had been "Coming Soon" for the past 7 years or so.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm ready to blind buy this, are you getting it? I'd be curious to see some kind of review. :)

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
JoHud said:
Much of the titles have since been released in the Kino collections, though there are still some new ones.
These are the 6 titles that are not on either the Kino or All Day Entertainment's "Becoming Charley Chase" sets:
BE YOUR AGE
THE CARETAKER'S DAUGHTER
CHARLEY MY BOY
THE UNEASY THREE
WHAT PRICE GOOFY
MAMA BEHAVE
I would have liked to seen the very funny TELL 'EM NOTHING included in this collection, as it's an extant PD Charley Chase title that's not on any of the other sets. Still, I'm just glad this collection is finally coming out and will definitely be picking it up.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was all ready to buy this but Amazon.ca has the Becoming Charlie Chase back in stock for $6 more. IT's going to be more complete then this et right? Or are they two different things like the Charlie Chaplin Mutual and Keystone sets?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm at a loss with Charlie Chase :S

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Only his public domain films have gotten legitimate releases. I forget where the exact cut-off is, but some 1926 and pretty much all 1927-29 silents are still copyrighted along with all Hal Roach sound features outside of "The Wrong Trek." They're currently owned by RHI, who released last year's Laurel and Hardy set from the same library. All post-Hal Roach shorts are owned by Columbia/Sony and remain unreleased.
rmw650 said:
Hoping his sound shorts will be made into a compilation DVD set next year.
Hope so as well, though I'm starting to get skeptical since RHI hasn't released anything from its HR library since L&H.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Russell G said:
I was all ready to buy this but Amazon.ca has the Becoming Charlie Chase back in stock for $6 more. IT's going to be more complete then this et right? Or are they two different things like the Charlie Chaplin Mutual and Keystone sets?
There's only 2 shorts that are duplicated in both sets, so they're both worth getting :)
"Becoming Charley Chase" is a comprehensive set in so far as it traces his history starting with his years with Mack Sennett, shows his comic development with his 1 reel Jimmy Jump series, has a few of his 2 reel comedies, and gives us some shorts that he directed for other comedians. The picture quality is variable, but it's a great set for any Chase fan.
However for a blind buy, I would recommend the Milestone set because it focuses on his peak period of 2 reel comedies, and therefore is, IMO, an ideal introduction to Charley.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I shouldn't of asked, now I want both! Thanks for the input George. Between these and the Buster Keaton Bluray set at the end of the year I'm really making up for lost time as far as silent comedy goes.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, I'd recommend "Becoming Charlie Chase", though I'm not sure how it would go for someone who hasn't seen his "peak" material before. I found them pretty easy to appreciate and it's not far removed from his best material, for the most part. Plus, there are bonus shorts where either he or his brother directed but don't star.
Like this Milestone set, don't expect any expensive restoration or much clean-up for that matter since they are mostly compiled from various collectors' prints. With these shorts, I doubt we'll get much better unless a blu-ray is released somewhere down the line.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got the set and watched the ones I hadn't seen before that George listed. Definitely not disappointed. In general, the prints looked great. The only nitpick is the overscan on some coupled by windowboxing.
One thing that I started noticing right off is that all of them have either the music or short copyrighted at 2005, around then the set was originally suppose to have been released. All except Charley My Boy. Despite being transferred from a 16mm and some noticeable wear, it looked quite good. Add to that, this short has reconstructed intertitles which either means that it the print was a foreign language release or that there were no intertitles at all. More possibly the latter given that the title card and credits are present and in English. Could the presentation an reconstruction of this short been the reason for the delay, or at least part of it?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice to hear, I ordered this with the Becoming set. Look forward to dipping through them though I have 6 discs of Milies to go through on the silent front. It never ends!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks