What's new

Custom built HTPC? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I remember my other question: does WMC support Tuning Adapters? This is not an issue for me currently, but I was wondering about it.

Time Warner (and others?) have moved a Switched Digital Video (SDV) system that somehow uses single channels for multiple networks, and toggles between them with the Tuning Adapter system. It's transparent to the user with a cable-co box or DVR. But Tivo requires an additional Tuning Adaper device to work in this situation, and there's a lot of discussion and consternation in the TivoCommunity Forum over these things. It's not ideal, it seems.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

I remember my other question: does WMC support Tuning Adapters? This is not an issue for me currently, but I was wondering about it.

Time Warner (and others?) have moved a Switched Digital Video (SDV) system that somehow uses single channels for multiple networks, and toggles between them with the Tuning Adapter system. It's transparent to the user with a cable-co box or DVR. But Tivo requires an additional Tuning Adaper device to work in this situation, and there's a lot of discussion and consternation in the TivoCommunity Forum over these things. It's not ideal, it seems.

Yes it does. On my Ceton, which is four tuner, I use 2 tuning adapters and have no issues.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good news. I'm hoping things work out this year to allow me to more seriously consider a DIY 7MC system.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tell you what, Dave, keep me on my toes and PM me.. I'll have at least 3 from the guides I'm assembling I'll just "give away" to spread the gospel so to speak ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I appreciate your generous offer :) I'm not in a rush -- won't start serious research until Summer or even Fall -- and can afford to build my own. So if other people come along sooner, pass them along. Otherwise, when I get going, I'll talk to you more seriously about this endeavor.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You can always beat me up for advice.. we use media center a lot for the clubs and organizations here, because combined with series of Xbox's it makes distributing TV across a large environment easy as long as there is ethernet.. and that's a monumental perk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks