What's new

Curtains for the Mac Pro? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been unimpressed with the Apple's recent hollow ads. The Mac Pro ad seems mis-matched for a movie-going audience, who are not interested in a GPU-centric $3500 system. And the "Design in California" ad is too ego-centric.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I've been unimpressed with the Apple's recent hollow ads. The Mac Pro ad seems mis-matched for a movie-going audience, who are not interested in a GPU-centric $3500 system. And the "Design in California" ad is too ego-centric.
They are clearly aimed at the "Apple doesn't innovate crowd" - and are there for boosting the Apple brand, not selling Mac Pros.

As for the price -- we shall see.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My only sense of price is from podcast guesstimates based on intel and nvidia chip prices. It could start at $999 for all I know :)This thing is going to sell gangbusters for the research and engineering crowd. GPU processing is the new hotness among the Matlab crowd, with cuda support becoming easier. So having an easy and monster GPU system to throw at those problems should be popular. I don't need one. But I know a few folks who would want it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are those monies earmarked for the new Mac Pro?I'm curious what the enthusiast crowd will do with the new Mac Pro. Normal users, like you and Ron, have bought the Mac Pro to get the fastest system possible in your home office. But the new Mac Pro is built for GPU processing. It could be great for enthusiast video production. It's a lot of money for email and web browsing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is going to sound dumb Dave but the only reason I -really- needed a Mac Pro was for hard disk expandability. Thunderbolt solved that for me. Moving to a 27" iMac was really smooth and no complaints. Lr works beautifully on it and does not benefit from 8 cores and the GPU is plenty fast enough on it.Would I love the new trashcan Mac Pro? Sure. Do I need its power vice what I have now? Nope.So, that $1200 is going to next month's iPad refresh, my trip to Yosemite for my Cousin's wedding, and if there is anything left, towards Xbox One and PS4 stuff.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I am curious why Macrumors considers that a low end processor? It has 8 cores (16 threads) and 25MB of cache. Intel has other processors in that line with 4 or 6 cores and 10-12MB of cache. One of those processors would seem to be better suited for the "low end" label.

-Keith

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No idea Keith. Hopefully there will be a lower cost alternative for those of us who want to stay south of $3K.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
For $2999 - it's better priced than I thought. I have to admit that it's likely these will sell well in the entertainment market. Sam - what are your thoughts?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To steal a quote from a Saturday Night Live skit (spoilerized for those who are sensitive to such language)...today's Apple announcements made me
jizz in my pants!
jizz.jpg

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I had planned on getting a new iMac this fall (I'm currently running a 2009 model), but I gotta say, I am considering the MacPro now. The $2999 config is VERY useable for a "low-end" config. I would want to upgrade the SSD to 512, but other than that it's more than good to go for my needs. Course, I'd have to buy the 27" monitor as well. Decisions, decisions...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I'm betting the monitors will all refresh in December too....
If 4K Apple Cinema Displays were coming they would have said something at the event. So what is a refresh going to be -- switching from Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 2 while keeping the panel identical?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks