What's new

Current Upscaling over Component DVD Player choices? (1 Viewer)

Barry.Evans

Agent
I have a mitsubishi HD monitor that does not have DVI/HDMI connections.

What currently available dvd players will do upscaling over component video?

I've seen older threads and a lot of conflicting information on at least 3 players that allow this or used to allow it.

Thanks.
Barry

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
None of the current DVD players will output upconverted HDCP protected materials to component video due to the regulations.

Many of the older models did, when the regulation didn't firmly take place. Samsung HD841 and Zenith DVB318 used to be the popular choice. They are all out of production and can't buy them new. The best bet is second handed or refurbished.

Barry.Evans

Agent
Is the hack available in all the Samsung HD841 players? I can find those on the secondary market pretty reasonably priced. I'm just worried that later firmware revisions might not work and it'd be unreturnable.

We bought a Samsung HD845 at Best Buy today and found that none of HDCP Free hacks work on this one.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Barry,

Best Buy has the LG brand model #LDA511 on sale for
$151.00 inc/tax
-$30.00 mail in rebate
$121.00 net cost

It can do what you're asking. Information on HOW to 'allow it to do what you need' is easily found.

-Gary

Barry.Evans

Agent
Gary,

I ran a few searches and read that the LDA-511 will only upscale non-copyprotected media over component video. That sounds pretty useless if the majority of films are copy protected. I didn't find any hacks listed. Is this correct?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Gary's info got me curious. I went on googling, and guess what? I found the upscaling over component tricks for LDA531 and its twin DVB418. I happen to own a DVB418, and tried all the tricks with success. :D I stand corrected. Some of the current DVD players still have backdoors for changing region and HDCP.

Barry.Evans

Agent
We returned the first HD845 and bought a refurbished Samsung DVD-HD841 off of eBay for $58 shipped. I'm trying the angle 4327 hack but having no joy.

Currently setup as p-scan over component, no disk in tray etc. Am I missing something?

danDo

Agent
I just connected my NeuNeo HVD2085 dvd player to my Infocus 5000 this weekend. I connected it with both hdmi and component to see the difference. The NeuNeo claims it will upscale to 1080P/1080i via component.

It also claims HDCP is not required for playing copyright DVD title in high definition mode

My Infoucs will accept 720p and 1080i maximum. The 1080i did not work correctly, it made the image look zoomed in a bunch. So I guess that the projector could not scale down correctly????

When running 720p over component and hdmi the image was amazing. There are differences between the two picture, hdmi is a bit lighter/component is a bit darker, but the picture quality looked the same to me both zoomed out to maximum size image and no zoom at all. I definatly can not complain for a $200 investment.

My projector is new and running with out of the box settings... I still need to get a calibration disk.

Here is the overview from where I bought the player: http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/pr...5/overview.asp

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Your InFocus deserves an ISF calibration before you try and make 480p look like 1080i or 720p.

I'm begging you, look at it as an investment not an expenditure. You're at the one yard line.

Have whatever equipment you will be using available at time of calibration, ie HD cable/sat and dvd player as the inputs are calibrated separately based on equipmemt used. If you change players after it's not a big deal because the basline will have been established.

By all means have an AVIA or DE disc around for confirmation from time to time but and ISF tech will make you display look better than you ever thought possible.

Peter M.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I also have the Neuneo 2085, and the picture quality for well master DVDs is stunning, much better than my previous Pioneer. But the deinterlacing seems to rely only on flags; are those wrong, artefacts can be visible. As added bonus the Neuneo offers HVD disc compatibility; the "Travalling birds" documentary looks excellent on 720p HVD.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

One of this months slew of A/V Mags has a round table discussion which took place on the yearly HT Cruise.

People like Joe Kane "Digital Video Essentials" anwers questions comparing flag and motion basded de-interlacing amoung other things.

It's pretty informative.

Peter M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks