What's new

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Five (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Ouch. I just got around to watching the season finale and thought it was the worst episode since that series premiere (the one hour special that started the whole thing). I think there was one funny line in the entire episode, and I don't even remember what it was.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This "final episode" reminded me of the final episode of Seinfeld. In both, they seemed to be trying too hard, threw in a lot of flashbacks and left you wondering, "Is this all that there is" and sort of up in the air. Maybe Larry was trying to create a parody of the Seinfeld finale?

It was good to hear Billy Saluga (Louis Lewis) speak, although I would have fallen off the seat if they worked in a, "But ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!" remark during his rant.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Good comparison. And as much as I didn't care for the Seinfeld finale, this was much worse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that both finales were similar and the fact that people seem to dislike or hate (especially Seinfeld's finale) just makes me laugh and laugh because I think that Larry's intention with both was to sorta piss off the audience and show what lousy people all those characters were.

You can agree or disagree with what type of people they are but I don't think it's hard to see that Larry views all of his characters as self centered bastards and wants to share that view with the audience.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
It's funny I was going to post the same thing about the similarities between the finales, but then the forum went kaplooey.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there is obviously something about finales that Larry hasn't mastered yet. :) I didn't care much for the finale of last season ,with "The Producers" either, although it was not near "Seinfeld" and CYE series finales (and CYE was way better than "Seinfeld"'s finale).

I agree they were trying too hard to make it meaningful or an event or something... just make a regular funny episode, and we'd all be happy.

That said, I found a lot to like in this episode, up until the surgery. I LOVED that Larry turned into "anti-Larry" when he met his (supposed) iological parents. Fishing, hunting, fixing the car... acting calm. :D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've watched the entire episode twice and seen parts of it a couple more times. After hating it at first, I've warmed up somewhat.

There were some outrageously funny moments: Larry being a jerk on his deathbed (waving off Susie in particular) and the sight of an almost 60 year old man frolicking with his new "dad" (check out the fate of the fish :) ) but the episode was ruined by a couple of things.

The first is the reaction of Cheryl and Jeff to his death. Totally out of character and makes the viewer not like them. They should have just cut this out entirely and showed Larry going directly to Heaven.

The second was extending the Sopranos DVD cover joke. It just wasn't all that funny by the time it got mentioned the 4th or 5th time.

It'll be interesting to see if HBO makes any sort of announcement about the future of this series anytime soon.

Steve

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I agree. Especially Cheryl. In fact, when she reacted that way, I immediately thought, "this is a dream."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was totally out of character for both of them, and was my major problem with the episode. Incidentally, that's the same reason I disliked the Seinfeld finale: the whole "samarithan law" incident was way out of character for them.

todd stone

Screenwriter
yup the Cheryl bit was out of place, how could the cast not see how terrible this was? O well. I guess we wait.... we WAIT.. for the next season :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those comparing this epsiode to the finale of Seinfeld. The whole "you wait" bit sounded similar to Jerry's line (when they were in jail) about "Then we'll be back!".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks