What's new

CUE problem only with progressive? (1 Viewer)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the a/v sources area.

Can any of you tell me if the CUE would only manifest itself in progressive mode? If I want a DVD player for a 27" analog TV for a small bedroom system, connected via S-video or interlaced component video, do I need to worry about excluding players with the chroma bug?

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Thanks for your reply Allan. I've seen lots of comments on players affected by CUE. But none of them ever said anything about whether the problem was just visible with progressive video, at least not that I recall. Guess I have some more reading to do!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ellen,

Did you read our short article about the "chroma bug" in the primer section? It doesn't answer your question about which players are affected, but in general that answer is: most newer players aren't and you will hardly see it anyway.

Cees

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Thanks Cees. Had not read that. That Primer thread seems to have reached epic proportions. I guess I need to take an afternoon and read the enormous thing.

However, I was surprised to read your comments that most newer players don't have the chroma bug. That seems to contradict reports I read in the a/v sources section. If user comments are to be believed, it seems like more player have the problem than those that do not.

I suppose I'm just going to have to find a local store with a wide selection of players and a liberal return policy and see for myself.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ellen,

Yes our primer is becoming huge. But on the positive side: there's a wealth of quick information there.

Perhaps I have been a little bit too optimistic about the number of players without the CUE. As I said, most of the newest (I meant: "more and more of the very newest") players coming to the market now are doing it right, currently. But indeed, there still are a lot that seem to have the error.

Here is a December 2002 list of players that were tested by 'hometheaterhifi' and were reported not to have the error (along with several that do).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks