What's new

CTHE Press Release: Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniversary (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arguably the best political satire of the century."
-Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN TIMES
"Better with each passing year."
-Leonard Maltin

Landmark Academy Award®-winning Cold War Satire
Comes of Age During the War on Terror

DR. STRANGELOVE 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
Two Exclusive New Documentaries Feature Interviews With Bob
Woodward, Spike Lee, Roger Ebert and Never-Before-Seen Footage From the
Estate of Peter Sellars
Includes Collectible Scrapbook With An Essay By Roger Ebert and Original all
New 5.1 and DTS Audio Upmix from the Original Mono
Available on DVD November 2, Election Day

* * * * Culver City, CA (August 23, 2004) – For forty years, Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece,
DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE
BOMB has been regarded as one of the greatest political satires ever filmed. *Its dark comedic
vision and razor-sharp caricatures of military planners and political war-mongers have sent an
uneasy chill up the spines of thoughtful audiences for over a generation, while its penultimate
scene -- the hyper-patriotic Major "King" Kong (Slim Pickens) riding a nuclear bomb like an
apocalyptic bronco – has become recognized as one of the most vivid, frightening and hilarious
scenes in the history of cinema. *Which is to say nothing of the utter brilliance of Peter Sellers'
tri-role performance. *On November 2, 2004 -- Election Day -- Columbia TriStar Home
Entertainment will release a special two-disc 40th Anniversary Edition DVD of DR
STRANGELOVE. *

DR STRANGELOVE was awarded four Oscars®, including Best Picture, Best Director,
Best Actor for Peter Sellers, and Best Adapted Screenplay, which was co-written by Terry
Southern (Easy Rider, The Magic Christian, What's New Pussycat?), director Stanley Kubrick
and Peter George, on whose novel the film was based. *In addition to Peter Sellers (The Pink
Panther series), the film co-stars Oscar®-winner George C. Scott (Patton, The Hustler), Sterling
Hayden (The Godfather Trilogy), Keenan Wynn (Finian's Rainbow), Slim Pickens (Pat Garrett
and Billy the Kid) and Oscar®-nominee James Earl Jones (The Great White Hope, Star Wars
Trilogy) in his first feature film role.

DVD Bonus Features
The two-disc DR STRANGELOVE 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION is sure to please
the most ardent DVD collector with a brand-new Dolby 5.1 audio upmix from the original mono
soundtrack and a presentation in the film's original aspect ratio of 1.66. *The Anniversary
Edition package includes a collectible script with an essay by Roger Ebert and original
production stills. The DR STRANGELOVE 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION also includes the
following:
* * * * An interview with Robert S. McNamara, Secretary of Defense under President
* * * * Johnson at the time of DR. STRANGELOVE's original 1964 release.
* * * * "Inside Dr. Strangelove: How I stopped worrying and love the Bomb"
* * * * "No Fighting in the War Room: Dr. Strangelove and the Nuclear Threat" All new
* * * * documentary
* * * * "The Art of Stanley Kubrick: From Short Films to Dr. Strangelove" documentary
* * * * "Best Sellers Or: Peter Sellers is Dr. Strangelove" featurette
* * * * Original Split-Screen Interviews w/ Peter Sellers and George C. Scott

Synopsis
This wickedly dark comedy features Peter Sellers (in three roles) in the midst of
impending nuclear war triggered by a psychotic Air Force General who unleashes an ingenious,
foolproof and irrevocable scheme sending bombers to attack Russia. In a desperate effort to save
the world, the U.S. President works with the Soviet premier and debates with his hawkish
advisors in the stark, foreboding War Room.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
* * * * Remastered in High Definition
* * * * Original 1.66 Aspect Ratio / 16x9 Anamorphic
* * * * Audio: *English Dolby 5.1 / DTS, English Mono, French Mono
* * * * Subtitles: *English, French
* * * * "Inside Dr. Strangelove" documentary
* * * * "No Fighting in the War Room" documentary
* * * * "The Art of Stanley Kubrick: From Short Films to Strangelove" documentary
* * * * "Best Sellers Or: Peter Sellers is Dr. Strangelove" featurette
* * * * Split-Screen Interviews w/ Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
* * * * "Insights on the Nuclear Threat by a Political Expert" - Interview w/ Robert McNamara
* * * * Theatrical Advertising Gallery
* * * * Filmographies
* * * * Bonus Trailers
* * * * Scene Selections

Year of Theatrical Release: 1964
Rated: PG
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 95 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 02616 / UPC Code: 0-43396-02616-2
DVD Order Date: 9/30/04
DVD SLP: $34.94

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
This edition is starting to sound a heck of a lot more interesting than when first announced. 1.66 anamorphic? New documentaries? 'Collectible Scrapbook'? Cool. I might just have to cave in and get it.

James N

Grip
Sounds good. New transfer, new extras, and original mono. Plus, that scrapbook thingy.

BUT, didn't Kubrick wish for the aspect ratio to fluctuate between 1:66 and 1:33? I just think, after how many DVDs this has had, someone could get it right.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait to see if the Special Features are all that special before double-dipping. I love the film, but my current disc is just fine for how often I watch it. Unless there's a miraculous bounce in the picture and audio department I don't see the point.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that Strangelove is going to be 1.66:1 anamorphic. Could this be a sign that the other Kubrick films will be availible in anamorphic widescreen?

Too bad it doesn't include the deleted pie fight ending.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is more occurring with this release than meets the eye, and it is much more than a double or triple dip for the same old title.

Picture elements have been problematic on this title for decades.

Columbia's preservation guru, Grover Crisp, has totally re-worked this film, which for the first time will be derived from a fine grain master.

Past transfers have been taken from prints.

A new 5.1 mix has been produced from original elements and will be available in addition to the original mono.

From all reports, the new release of Dr. Strangelove will be a must buy.

RAH

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've always viewed Columbia's claims that Kubrick intended the aspect ratio to shift with some suspicion; nearly every bit of 1.33:1 footage is stock Air Force footage. It's hard to believe much "artistic intent" behind stock footage slapped into the middle of an otherwise 1.66:1 ratio. Just based on the evidence of the film itself I find it hard to draw any conclusion other than it was intended to be seen at that single ratio.

But kudos indeed to Columbia for restoring and better yet, releasing it 1.66:1 anamorphic. I've gone from "why bother" to being fairly excited about this triple-dip.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to RAH for his input. I'm definitely on board for this release now.

Heh, different movie, appropriate reference.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
What would have made this perfect would be the inclusion of 'Duck And Cover', as it appeared on the Criterion laserdisc. A nice package nonetheless...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I guess the press office got a bit carried away since "My Fair Lady" won best picture but that does not take away the excitement for this release which will be a triple dip for me (Criterion LD and the last DVD release).

At the Kubrick exhibit in Frankfurt last June they had a mock-up of the bomb that Major Kong rode to oblivion. Kinda cool and I have my "Wing Attack Plan R" manila envelope ready.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

Robert Harris' post sold me. :) I'll be triple-dipping on the dvd, and that's not counting my laser disc or vhs copies.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
CTHE recently announced that this would also be in the next line up of Superbits. Will this be a Super-Bit SE (there are no commentaries, and there's DTS) or will there be the usual CTHE two versions released close together?

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I've always viewed Columbia's claims that Kubrick intended the aspect ratio to shift with some suspicion...

It's not just Columbia's claim: the variable-aspect-ratio transfer originated with Criterion, when they did their laserdisc in consultation with Kubrick himself. Their old catalogue had an essay on the subject.

You can also read a USENET post by our very own Robert A. Harris discussing the unmatting.

...nearly every bit of 1.33:1 footage is stock Air Force footage.

Hmm? I admittedly don't have the disc on to double-check, but my recollection was that most of the film was in 1.33:1 and that only a handful of sequences were hard-matted to 1.66:1. I could be wrong...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well the Criterion Lolita LD had the same variable AR as Strangelove, and yet the approved Kubrick DVDs from WB are 1.66:1 nonanamorphic.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I posted about this in another thread. This film was projected at 1:85 in the US. I saw it about twenty times in its first four weeks. I said in the other thread (no one had seen the actual specs) that I would like to see a DVD that replicated the way the film was shown (here in 1:85, UK in 1:66) and now, at last, I can have it. I believe all this Kubrick stuff about ratios was all aimed for what was then home video - tape and laserdisc. Certainly, he and his cameraman knew how the films would be projected and certainly he would have framed them for those ratios. In fact, there would have been frame marks in the viewfinder of his camera. Everything twenty years later is revisionism. Now, if we can have The Shining in 1:85 or 1:66, that would be great, too - then we wouldn't have to look at all that ridiculous and useless head room that wasn't there in its theatrical showings.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
This is the only Kubric film I liked, and I wouldn’t not have double dipped had it not been for the new 1:66:1 anamorphic video transfer. Consider me sold. I like the cover art from the previous DVD release better though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know sumpin? I just might be interested in this title. The director's name is "Kubrick," right? Yep, it says so in the press release.

Seriously, I've been waiting for this for a long time. And what a bonanza. The film Mr. Kubrick made after this project also is getting the SE treatment. These things make me happy. And I can't tell you just how encouraged I am to read Mr. Robert Harris's post. Very, very encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks