What's new

Crystal Balls (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The only thing I do mind is the whole corniness of the "Crystal Ball" in itself.If you're going to drop hints, just drop 'em - not the whole "I see in my Crystal Ball" thing - it's gone from funny and cute, to a parody of itself.

Besides, the track record for these bits of information has been really good. Let the tidbits of info stand on their own,and not in some ritual like some "loyal mystic order of the shiny disc" :)

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
I read that topic and it shows how something done by others to help can be turned into something bad. And if the term Crystal Ball is used, so be it. People are now whining over anything, sad really sad.BTW thanks to Gary OS and Neil for all these bits of informations.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
maskedmala said:
I read that topic and it shows how something done by others to help can be turned into something bad. And if the term Crystal Ball is used, so be it. People are now whining over anything, sad really sad.
BTW thanks to Gary OS and Neil for all these bits of informations.
I agree. It's one reason that I don't post much negativity about particular tv shows, movies, etc. It's always more of a challenge to abstain from naysaying vs saying something positive.

Someone's "grail" show may be another member's "no thanks" show but I don't see much purpose in posting things like the recent "only 7 year olds would like said show" posts (posts removed).

Also, can't say enough (imo) about Frank's stand-up posts later in his thread.

I know another stand-up guy here, there are several, but Randy is one (he'll know what I'm referring to).
2s8lbms.jpg

Most probably would vote a
fwrc6d.jpg
that this stop (HTF) along the cyber highway is an exceptional place to post about a lot of things, shows, equipment, etc.

There are a lot of great members here. Different pov's will always be there but most members excercise self-control and refrain from negative comments that are usually rooted in egotism issues.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
And as Jeff said, why not keep it positive? If I've understood correctly, there are times that some of those who make decisions read these forums. If they come in and see everyone lambasting a show and only one or two people being positive, I don't think they're going to have a favorable impression of anyone wanting that show!

If Shout! or whoever is about to put my holy grail on the market (The Hillbillies), I don't want them coming here and seeing someone putting it down as only something a seven year old would watch. This is why I don't go into threads of shows I don't like. Everyone has a right to like what they like without being bombarded with negativity.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Richard V said:
Gary, count me as one of the members who always appreciated the "crystal ball" and I would never try to blame you for any snafus that came about. Your little hints were gems that gave me hope, that all was not lost for the classic TV fan. I don't understand why some members would get angry if "possible" releases didn't happen. Things happen, people get flat tires, unexpected things happen all the time. When I get disappointed that things don't happen, I try to remember the axiom: No one is guaranteed tomorrow. Gary, please remain active on the boards, and please give us little hints from time to time, I'm sure I speak for the majority of the members who appreciate them, and don't want to blame you for giving them out.
I wholeheartedly second this and miss the crystal ball prognostications very much. Gary, you have made your choice, but if you'll pardon my advice, I think you should bring back your hints as best you can and not be unduly discouraged by those FEW posters who exhibit childish responses when their toys are taken away. I can't speak for the majority of people who post here, but I do know your contributions are highly valued by many and it's a shame to let the negativity of a few outweigh all the positive reactions and accomplishments you generate in this forum. Anything that brings us closer to the source for the what, when, where, why and how of releases can be a source of great information for the rest of us and certainly save the online environment from pages and pages of unfounded speculation! Save an online tree today!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
And as Jeff said, why not keep it positive? If I've understood correctly, there are times that some of those who make decisions read these forums. If they come in and see everyone lambasting a show and only one or two people being positive, I don't think they're going to have a favorable impression of anyone wanting that show!

If Shout! or whoever is about to put my holy grail on the market (The Hillbillies), I don't want them coming here and seeing someone putting it down as only something a seven year old would watch. This is why I don't go into threads of shows I don't like. Everyone has a right to like what they like without being bombarded with negativity.
I see it the same as you. I rarely post in a show's thread where I have no interest in the show, and never to naysay or post in a pseudo-intellectual manner. Unfortunately, we have one guy that does that and has done so for years.
Professor Echo said:
I wholeheartedly second this and miss the crystal ball prognostications very much. Gary, you have made your choice, but if you'll pardon my advice, I think you should bring back your hints as best you can and not be unduly discouraged by those FEW posters who exhibit childish responses when their toys are taken away. I can't speak for the majority of people who post here, but I do know your contributions are highly valued by many and it's a shame to let the negativity of a few outweigh all the positive reactions and accomplishments you generate in this forum. Anything that brings us closer to the source for the what, when, where, why and how of releases can be a source of great information for the rest of us and certainly save the online environment from pages and pages of unfounded speculation! Save an online tree today!
jv6jbb.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Professor Echo said:
I thought and thought and thought of how to say this because I, too, miss Gary's prognostications. Thanks for putting it into words so I can give my brain a rest! :D

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I don't mind disagreements in threads, that's what help makes this a true FORUM, but Jeff we see this the same way. Sometimes a subject is offered and posts are made in fun and not to be taken as gospel, but what often happens is that some people see it as a way they can be arbitrarily nasty and get away with it. It's one thing to respectfully disagree with someone's taste and explain why you are disagreeing in an adult, thoughtful way, or even in a faux immature way with good natured humor, but some people don't do that and get venomous in their response just for the sake of it. What usually results is a sad cessation to all discussion, where the only happy participants wind up being the trolls whose only goals were to create dissension.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
I thought and thought and thought of how to say this because I, too, miss Gary's prognostications. Thanks for putting it into words so I can give my brain a rest! :D
fk4ifp.jpg
Mine's too small to write like Glen. I'm the
25gdhya.jpg
:lol:
Professor Echo said:
I don't mind disagreements in threads, that's what help makes this a true FORUM, but Jeff we see this the same way. Sometimes a subject is offered and posts are made in fun and not to be taken as gospel, but what often happens is that some people see it as a way they can be arbitrarily nasty and get away with it. It's one thing to respectfully disagree with someone's taste and explain why you are disagreeing in an adult, thoughtful way, or even in a faux immature way with good natured humor, but some people don't do that and get venomous in their response just for the sake of it. What usually results is a sad cessation to all discussion, where the only happy participants wind up being the trolls whose only goals were to create dissension.
I bet you don't require a crystal ball to read my mind about now :lol:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have been reading the responses (Thanks much Jeff and Gary) to my poorly themed post all day and I couldn't help seeing several different folks complaining about negativity and childishness and then turning around and making "negative" remarks that at least in appearance, are directed at me. Let me say for the record that I do stand by what I said and that beginning of the first post. This phenomenon is just not something I prefer. It's just a difference of opinion. There is nothing negative about that. It is obvious that I'm not as prolific a poster over the past several years compared to some of you, but I like to think when I do post, the information is presented in a well researched, semi intelligent, positive manner with a few exceptions. I went through my archive and could only find one other post I can deem as negative. Anyway, I won't belabor this point any further. By starting the thread, I have aready wasted enough of everyone's time on this forum when we could be talking about classic TV. Once more, I apologize to anyone that felt persecuted or criticized by my remarks.I am truly sorry for that. I wish to harm no one with my words. I would like to have only positive interactions with everyone here on the forum. But also, be aware I do feel I am entitled to my opinion as well, and i shoudn't get unduly lambasted or called negative because it doesn't go along with the crowd. Thanks

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Frank Soyke said:
One request of you guys. Would it be ok if we put this thing to bed?
Good idea. :D

Gary "take care, Frank - as I said before, there are absolutely no hard feelings" O. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks