What's new

Crossover settings for subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Real Name
james
Hello,

I've done my fair share on reading about the crossover settings for both the amp and subwoofer, and I have my amp and subwoofer setup like this:

Subwoofer settings is turned to max (120 I think)

Amp settings is on 80.

Now my situation is this:

The surround sound speakers i'm using are very cheap and crappy when it comes to bass. I'm not sure what frequencies they pick up for the lowest. How should I set my amp's crossover to help fill in the gaps between bass without losing my nice, low bass?

I haven't tried anything yet, I wanted to get expirenced help before I started messing around with it.

Also, there is equalizer adjustment for all the frequencies of the speakers (not subwoofer) Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should set them for crappy, cheap speakers? The frequencies are:

63HZ

160HZ

400HZ

1KHZ

2.5KHZ

6.3KHZ

16KHZ

-Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
I just found the SPECS for the speakers i'm using, and the frequency range is 140Hz~20KHz. Does that mean I should put the crossover at 140Hz?

And also, my front speakers are different than my rear speakers. The rear speakers are even crappier! The sound is "hollow" that comes out of all the speakers, but worse out of the rear ones. What adjustments can I do to get rid of that "hollow" sound the best?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It would be helpful to know what equipment you have.

It looks like your receiver only offers one crossover setting for all speaker groups, is this correct?

Does your receiver have an automatic setup/eq feature like Audyssey, MCACC or EZSet/Eq?

Does the receivers equilizer effect all the speakers at the same time can you set each speakers eq separately? If you can set them individually then I'd set the 63 hz band of the eq for the surround speakers as low as possible. That should help protect your cheap (and crappy ) in-line "bass-blockers" and splice them into the surround speakers positive speaker wire.

Real Name
james
Originally Posted by gene c ) in-line "bass-blockers" and splice them into the surround speakers positive speaker wire.

My receiver doesn't have any automatic setups, except for EQ but their like "natural, flat, front". The equalizer does have separate adjustments for each speaker. I have the LFE settings on subwoofer only.

I updated my thread with the specs of my front speakers.

-Thanks

Also, are these the "bass blockers" you're talking about?

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=speaker%20resistor&origkw=speaker%20resistor&sr=1

And how do I know which one I should buy?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"My receiver doesn't have any automatic setups, except for EQ but their like "natural, flat, front". The equalizer does have separate adjustments for each speaker."

In that case I would do as I suggested earlier and set the 63 hz band for each surround speaker to it's lowest setting like -6 or -12.

"Also, are these the "bass blockers" you're talking about?"

No. I mean something like these from Crutchfield. They're usually found in the car audio section. But you shouldn't need them if you can set the eq for the surrounds as I suggested.

"I just found the SPECS for the speakers i'm using, and the frequency range is 140Hz~20KHz. Does that mean I should put the crossover at 140Hz?"

If that is for the front speakers then yes, set the crossover to maybe even 150. The crossover should be set a little higher than what the speakers can handle.

"What adjustments can I do to get rid of that "hollow" sound the best?"

Your only hope is the bass/treble controls and equilizer but there's no way I or anyone else could guild you on those adjustments from a forum. And an eq can only do so much. You know, you can put lipstick and eye shadow on a pig...but it's still a pig . But the eq should help a little bit.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There's no way to advise someone on where to set an eq without being in the room. All I can say is to play with it a little and see what happens. I f you think you messed it up, reset everything to zero and start again. "Hollow" sounds like a mid-range issue but I'm just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks